TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

College emotion vs professional devotion

The fuck you talkin bout, emotion? Adam Morrison crying like a bitch because he lost a semifinal somehow means more than Kevin Garnett going nuts because he won the NBA Championship? Load of shit goin on here.

The fuck you talkin bout, emotion? Adam Morrison crying like a bitch because he lost a semifinal somehow means more than Kevin Garnett going nuts because he won the NBA Championship? Load of shit goin on here.

Garnett wouldn't have cried (let alone like a bitch) had the Celts lost at any stage of the playoffs.

College ball admits 65 of 342, I think it is, to the tournament. Pro ball admits 16 of 30.

College ball, you win six games in a row and you're the champion. Pro ball, win six games in a row & you're midway through the conference semifinals.

College ball, you lose and you're finished. Pro ball, you lose and you can still lose two more times before you're even in danger of being done, and if you win four before you lose four those prior losses don't even count any more.

College ball, you get 4 years of eligibility and then you're gone forever. Pro ball, you've got 15, 20 years depending on how banged up you get.

College basketball has the coolest gimmick in the world: the NCAA tournament. We all love filling out brackets and shelling out $20 to get our ass kicked by the girl in accounting, but let's not confuse that with what is happening on the court. College basketball is inferior in every way to the pro game and trying to argue differently just looks ridiculous. It's minor league ball, and it's not particularly good minor league ball.

Point/counterpoint

College ball admits 65 of 342, I think it is, to the tournament. Pro ball admits 16 of 30.

Many of those 342 are Southwestern New Hampshire State and the like where the teams suck anyway. Many of the 65 admitted suck too! The NBA is the highest level of competition in the world.

College ball, you win six games in a row and you're the champion. Pro ball, win six games in a row & you're midway through the conference semifinals.

You counterpointed yourself. Winning 16 games over four best-of-sevens is a better determinant of who the best team is than six wins in a single-elimination draw, because it minimizes random chance.

College ball, you lose and you're finished. Pro ball, you lose and you can still lose two more times before you're even in danger of being done, and if you win four before you lose four those prior losses don't even count any more.

This is just a factual statement of how the two tournaments work without making a salient case that one is superior to the other.

College ball, you get 4 years of eligibility and then you're gone forever. Pro ball, you've got 15, 20 years depending on how banged up you get.

If it takes you four years to get out of college basketball with the modern draft practices in the NBA, you probably suck and deserve to be gone forever.

I used to equally love college and pro basketball until the NBA ruled that 18 year olds couldn't enter the draft. The one and dones in college basketball are killing the game, I believe. I remember back in 90s and earlier this decade, when I could actually name players on teams. Now it's a revolving door. I know some teams are the exception to the rule, but the game has suffered because honestly there are rarely any great teams that stay together like those Duke, UNLV, and North Carolina and Florida teams did.

Plus the game isn't as good as the pros. The last minute of a game is an exercise in patience.

Look, I'm all for a player showing emotion on the court, but the Adam Morrison thing was just disgusting. Dude walks out to center court, throws himself on the ground and starts rolling around. It was such an obvious attempt to attract attention to himself and take the heat off of a dramatic comeback by UCLA.

Look, I'm all for a player showing emotion on the court, but the Adam Morrison thing was just disgusting. Dude walks out to center court, throws himself on the ground and starts rolling around. It was such an obvious attempt to attract attention to himself and take the heat off of a dramatic comeback by UCLA.

And that was with a couple seconds left in the game, and a chance to tie! He even, I think, got the ball back and had a chance to make that last shot! What a crybaby. That's not showing emotion, that's being a bitch.

I'll agree with Cheech. The vast majority of people don't follow college ball regularly, but fill out a bracket for the novelty of it all. The tourney is interesting, and personally it's actually a love/hate thing. Nothing more frustrating than spending a lot of time carefully filling out a bracket only to have it go down in flames while some clown collects because he picked which mascot he liked better.

You know, I'm fairly sure you'd get beat up in college and professional hockey if you were that much of a fucking bitch. Christ, you can cry, but don't act like a fucking toddler.

Morrison's meltdown reminded me of the LLWS when some kid blows a game and the cameraman gets a nice, tight closeup shot of the sobbing child on one side of the field, while the other team is celebrating. It's acceptable when dealing with someone under 13, but a college student throwing that kind of tantrum was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on a basketball court. His "I'm in need of a diaper change" moment lasted at least 2 full minutes too, so it wasn't something that could be brushed off as a temporary loss of composure.

Point/counterpoint

Works better if we don't argue different things. I was arguing emotion through the intensity, you seem to be arguing that the NBA is the shit.

College ball has more emotion because it's a more intense scenario; a smaller percentage of overall teams in a one-and-done, win-six-or-you're-another-also-ran setting with a cap of 4 chances you get in a lifetime is far more intense than the NBA system.

I don't know. If you watch a bunch of horrible Big 10 snoozers that are 56-53 games then yeah I can see why people would feel the college game is no good. But how about the insane 6 OT game with UConn/Syracuse last week or the unreal WKU/Drake game last year in the tourney?

This is an argument of big city markets vs. middle America. Where I'm from, college hoops is king. It's just what we're into here. There was an ABA team here in the 70s, but the Colonels folded 30+ years ago. But people in NYC or Chicago? Even if the Knicks and Bulls suck those teams are always going to be followed more than St. John's and DePaul.

The NBA does a better job of producing the best champion with all the best of 7 series. But it just lasts forever to the point where it's tedious getting rid of the scrubs in the early rounds in order to get to the last 4 teams that are good. College basketball is the most wildly fun during that first 4 days of the tourament. But even I must admit once it gets to the Final 4 if I don't have a team there it's harder to care.

I will agree with you that the NBA playoffs are unnecessarily protracted. With the exception of the Warriors-Mavericks series of 2007, I can't think of any other first round series that needed to be a 4 out of 7 rather than a 3 out of 5. (Remember Hornets-Heat, 2004? Oh lord!) This isn't like baseball, where 162 games coming down to 5 (or even 7) is such a crapshoot that all you can do is throw up your hands and hope for the best, or hockey, where there's generally more parity from 1 down to 8 than there is in basketball, and a goaltender can fuel a crazy run to the finals by a lower seed with relative facility. With the NBA, it's pretty cut-and-dried: there are about four to six legitimate contenders in a given season; between the lottery teams and the contenders lie utter cannon fodder. This year, I'd say the Lakers and Spurs are the only two real threats from the West and it's a blob from 3rd to 9th; Cavaliers and Celtics from the East, the Magic have a sliver of a chance, as does Dwyane Wade. These first round series serve no competitive purpose. They're just tune-ups, and yet they take weeks to complete. These shit teams like the Bulls and Bucks need to be summarily dispatched in no more than five days: game, rest, game, travel, game. So yes, you, cabbageboy, are correct.

I understand where you're coming from to an extent with the town mouse/country mouse thing, but if your argument has any strength, it's due to the failure of the NBA to maintain a strong national television footprint. Baseball relies on its markets more than any other sport, but people outside of them still follow teams without claiming allegiance to an inferior product, right?

I was arguing emotion through the intensity

Da fire and da passion! Dey got a pep band an everyting!

Why is the "emotion and intensity" of college basketball a good thing? It just means that a lot of the parties involved, players and broadcasters alike, are histrionic goofs. Adam Morrison's contrived weeping and the over-the-top screaming from any number of broadcasters are not arguments for the quality of the product vis-a-vis the NBA. "HE'S A GOOD KID, BABY! THEY'RE ALL GOOD KIDS!" "TAKE IT HOOOOOME JEROOOOOME! ONIOOONNSSS!!!" Shut up! I mean, I like the Gus soundbites as much as anyone, and he's not always as bad as others are, but when you scream like a lunatic on every big play, where do you go from there? How do you top your enthusiasm when it needs to be topped? You hit a threshold, and suddenly you're telling everyone that everything is the best anything ever, and then townies start to believe it.

I will agree with you that the NBA playoffs are unnecessarily protracted. With the exception of the Warriors-Mavericks series of 2007, I can't think of any other first round series that needed to be a 4 out of 7 rather than a 3 out of 5. (Remember Hornets-Heat, 2004? Oh lord!) This isn't like baseball, where 162 games coming down to 5 (or even 7) is such a crapshoot that all you can do is throw up your hands and hope for the best, or hockey, where there's generally more parity from 1 down to 8 than there is in basketball, and a goaltender can fuel a crazy run to the finals by a lower seed with relative facility. With the NBA, it's pretty cut-and-dried: there are about four to six legitimate contenders in a given season; between the lottery teams and the contenders lie utter cannon fodder. This year, I'd say the Lakers and Spurs are the only two real threats from the West and it's a blob from 3rd to 9th; Cavaliers and Celtics from the East, the Magic have a sliver of a chance, as does Dwyane Wade. These first round series serve no competitive purpose. They're just tune-ups, and yet they take weeks to complete. These shit teams like the Bulls and Bucks need to be summarily dispatched in no more than five days: game, rest, game, travel, game. So yes, you, cabbageboy, are correct.

Oh God, yes. This is the worst part of the NBA playoffs. If you adopted the "Play every other day"-style of playoff that the NHL practices, you could do a best 4 of 7 series and not have it be unbearable. It's not the length of series that is the problem as much as the baffling 3-4 day wait between games.

The NBA is full of a bunch of over paid bitches. They don't give a fuck about what happens as long as they get paid.

This is such a tired, horseshit argument against the pros, I can't believe anyone still brings it up. Any decent player in college or overseas is playing for an NBA contract, so I guess we're to assume everyone in the NBA now had a bunch of "passion" in college or whatever, and then it disappeared once they signed their first NBA contract. And I suppose the same thing will happen to all of this year's draftees as well.

You don't make it to the NBA without a lot of passion, and if you don't keep it, you won't be staying long. It's not like these guys are just going out to play some casual basketball for a few hours every other night and sitting on their asses the rest of the time. It may surprise you, but there's a lot of practice, team meetings, year-round physical conditioning, and hectic traveling involved to be a pro basketball player. And I guarantee most of the highest paid guys are the ones who care the most. You wanna tell me Kobe, LeBron, KG, etc. are just going through the motions for 40 minutes a night? Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

The funniest thing about people who tout the greatness of the college game over the pro game is that most of them don't realize (or at least don't want to admit) that a good chunk of their precious college players are playing for a chance to get a spot in that awful NBA. The only college kids playing "for the love of the game" or for their school are the future YMCA regulars who would never hack it in the pros.

I've tried with college basketball (and collegiate sports, in general, but more so with basketball) and I can't do it. The play is inferior, the amount of hype during the season is overbearing, the atmosphere and branding is superficial and manufactured, and it means supporting the NCAA, which I don't want to do. I just don't get it. If you went to the school, or really, really have no other options, fine, but why should I care. It's a farce.

I like college basketball a lot more than pro basketball, for various reasons, but Cowboy Numbers is coming off like a dumbass in this thread. If you're going to argue this matter, don't use Adam Morrison crying and tired arguments from the mid 90s to support your point

I like college basketball a lot more than pro basketball, for various reasons, but Cowboy Numbers is coming off like a dumbass in this thread. If you're going to argue this matter, don't use Adam Morrison crying and tired arguments from the mid 90s to support your point

1 thread for me supposedly coming off as a dumbass vs your entire life of being a dumbass....

Every Cowboy Numbers insult should be accompanied by the Jim Halpert face.

Part of the reason I like college basketball more is that my team, Memphis, is one of the best in the country. It's easy to start getting into it when you're team is so good. My NBA team is the Nets, can you blame me?

I find it to be more fun to watch, I like the 20 minute halves, and I like that the game seems more wide open. Plus, I'm able to form more of an attachment to the players and it makes me get more into the game.

Pro basketball is obviously better quality, but I just can't get into it as much.