TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I have to watch my daughter while my babys mother and her boyfriend go out for drinks at this Irish pub.

I'm wearing my Celtics, Garnett jersey in honor of St. Patricks Day, even though I'm not Irish.

As somebody who's legit Irish I truly hate this day. Green beer, shitty t-shirts and lineups a mile long to get into a pub that wouldn't normally get 10% of the business it gets. I may just stay in with a bottle of Jamesons.

My name is not Patrick, but I am (probably) at least partly Irish, so happy St. Patrick's Day to me. Seems unlikely that I'll do any sort of drinking tonight. I don't need society to tell me when it's acceptable for me to binge drink, y'know? That's also why I didn't go to college.

Anyone doing anything special to celebrate?

Nah. Which, ironically is how I spent my 21st birthday. I had a single beer that day and I shall have a single beer tonight in remembrance. Good times.

Very dumb holiday.

I hate this holiday.

Why? Because my birthday follows the day after. And all of my friends have spent all their money on this night and are too hungover to come out the next night.

As somebody who's legit Irish I truly hate this day. Green beer, shitty t-shirts and lineups a mile long to get into a pub that wouldn't normally get 10% of the business it gets. I may just stay in with a bottle of Jamesons....... Also, people trying to get drunk on Guiness are fucking 'tards. It's filling as shit and has a lower alcohol percentage then most beers.

Not Irish, but I'm on board 100% with these two statements. St. Patty's day is fun and all, but I'm broke (like quite literally broke, as in I don't even have $2 to send an important fax I need to broke) until Friday or so, unless my check comes in tomorrow for some freelance work I've done. And yeah, even just going out today is still kind of a pain in the ass, as I like going to a bar and just grabbing a drink and hanging out, yet it'll be worse than New Year's with all the drunken bullshit that comes from the kids.

Very dumb holiday.

I hate this holiday.

Why? Because my birthday follows the day after. And all of my friends have spent all their money on this night and are too hungover to come out the next night.

See, then you can just go out tonight and at midnight just say, "Hey, it's my birthday now!" at which point your friends, being drunk enough, will all buy you a round and include it in their St. Patrick's partying. That should work out for ya, anyways.

I'm staying in to avoid the crowds. Not feeling up to it this year. That and a 12-pack will end up being cheaper for me than having four or five beers at a bar, and each of those beers would take twenty minutes to order. There's just nowhere big enough around here to not be choked with people to the point where it's impossible to do anything other than stand outside and smoke, and you can't have drinks on the street here. I'll probably make up for it and more next year.

I'm Northern Irish. I celebrated by marching up and down touting my sectarian superiority.

So just another Tuesday night, I s'pose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness#Guinness_and_health

Some of the info isn't sourced, so take it with a grain of salt.

Guinness does have the lowest amount of calories you'll find in a non-"light" beer. I can only figure that the reason a lot of people think it's filling is the thicker feel of it is different from a lot of beers they normally drink. That heavy texture is due to the nitrogren involved in the brewing process.

I went to Devils v. Blackhawks and saw Martin Brodeur break the record for most wins by a goalie, AND Patrick Elias become the new all time leading scorer for Devils history. All for only $25. It was awesome

Last night was the first St.Patricks day since 2006 that I did not get kicked out of a bar before midnight. In fact, I did not even drink! I had a nice night posting at thesmartmarks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness#Guinness_and_health

Some of the info isn't sourced, so take it with a grain of salt.

Guinness does have the lowest amount of calories you'll find in a non-"light" beer. I can only figure that the reason a lot of people think it's filling is the thicker feel of it is different from a lot of beers they normally drink. That heavy texture is due to the nitrogren involved in the brewing process.

Any truth to the rumor that the alcohol content in Guinness brewed for Ireland is different (greater) than Guinness shipped abroad?

Last night was the first St.Patricks day since 2006 that I did not get kicked out of a bar before midnight. In fact, I did not even drink! I had a nice night posting at thesmartmarks.

Me and you both, brother.

I doubt it's true, as beers in the UK rarely are above six-percent alcohol. High-alcohol content beers—such as you find in a lot of domestic microbreweries—are, by and large, an American thing.

EDIT: That very Wikipedia article I linked mentions a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, "a 7.5% abv version sold in Europe, Africa, the Caribbean and Asia. The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally."

In a related note, I found this while Googling info on alcohol levels in Guinness:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/eu...and-466113.html

Article's three-years old, so I don't know whatever came of it.

We had a post-Irish party at my buddy's house. "We drank beer, and played pool, ping pong, and beer pong. I'm quite drunk right now. It's weird, I've never posted at TSM while not completely sober.