TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

No more Sci-Fi channel

It never occurs to them to, oh, maybe, stop producing those fucking awful original movies which have made them such a punchline? With the amount of money they spend on those, surely they could buy the rights to air every real sci-fi movie ever made, and probably get identical ratings too.

I love their original movies in a MST3K kind of way especially the varying degrees of crap they pass as CG. On a side point, I miss the days where Sci Fi actually had MST3K in the line-up. Back on track, I can see why the name change, but Exslade hit the nail on the head: it's a quick fix to denote an audience shift.

Mansquito.

They've been running a lot of ads for the positively awful Frankenfish on Sci-Fi recently. Even for people who like to get fucked up and watch bad movies, Frankenfish holds little value. I'd avoid it.

There are people who actually like those movies? Every time I've tried to watch one, they're so cheap and amateurish that I couldn't even laugh at them, it was just sad. Especially the aforementioned CGI, I've literally seen student films which had better effects. Maybe if I was really stoned, maybe that would do it, but my brow furrows at the idea of enjoying these flicks sober. I have heard that Ice Spiders is supposedly pretty good, but there are plenty of other movies I'd rather waste my time with first.

Well okay there was one I liked, Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King. But they didn't technically produce that one, they just distributed it, and it was actually a cut-down version of a European miniseries adaptation of Ring of the Nibelungs. Also it finally got Alicia Witt a starring role in a decent movie, rawr.

EDIT: and oh yeah, agree on generally not watching the channel much since MST3K went off the air. They've had some random stuff I wanted to watch occasionally, from ECW to Garth Marengi's Darkplace (please, someone tell me I'm not the only person who's ever seen this brilliant show), but nothing longterm which keeps me tuning back in.

Garth Marengi's Darkplace (please, someone tell me I'm not the only person who's ever seen this brilliant show

Nope. Cartoon Network airs repeats of it during adult swim on Friday or Saturday nights I think it is.

They've been running a lot of ads for the positively awful Frankenfish on Sci-Fi recently. Even for people who like to get fucked up and watch bad movies, Frankenfish holds little value. I'd avoid it.

You cut me. Frankenfish is probably my favorite of the Sci-Fi repertory. That movie is awesome in every way, from the random firing shotgun that suddenly kills people off to the grilling of the Frankenfish heart to the guy who looks and talks like Chad from The Mad Real World to the vaguely psychic sassy black river momma. It was on this past weekend and I watched pretty much the whole thing.

I always look forward to "The Soup" airing a clip from Sci-Fi channel movies. They look so awful and corny, that I've been tempted to actually watch one of them in their entirety.

Except for the occasional rerun of shows from when I was a kid, the only shows I've ever watched on Sci-Fi were MST3K, Farscape, and the new Battlestar Galactica. Their track record on original programming is pretty horrible.

I'm a fan of the show Eureka. I'll watch Sci Fi from time to time (i.e. any Twilight Zone marathon) although The Outer Limits reruns are disappointing because they came from HBO or Showtime IIRC

I loved the hell out of Farscape. I'm still mad they killed it before its time, like they do with every good show except from BSG, which jumped the shark after the first season. That's right, I said it.

It was a good show until Ronald Moore got too clever for his own good and killed it by going all existential on us. Idiot.

They need to either bring back Dark Shadows, or put it on Chiller. I stopped watching once they took off that show, and the original Ripley's. I watch from time to time to watch the Twilight Zone marathons. MST3K was great as well.

I fell in love with Sci-Fi in 96 because they used to show Godzilla movies that I had never seen before (Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs. Hedorah to name a few). Even as late as 2003, they still showed films that had never got a DVD release in the states up until that point (Godzilla X Megaguirus and GMK) Now none of those films are obscure anymore.

When the hell IS Eureka coming back? Cause right now until SG Universe comes on and Sanctuary comes back, Sci-Fi isn't high on my list of channels. The lady watches Ghost Hunters still, mostly out of habit.

When the hell IS Eureka coming back? Cause right now until SG Universe comes on and Sanctuary comes back, Sci-Fi isn't high on my list of channels. The lady watches Ghost Hunters still, mostly out of habit.

I have no idea and wouldn't be shocked to see it "unofficially" canceled for some reason. I've given up on Ghost Hunters after the show, Ghost Adventures, premiered and was profoundly better (on all levels from evidence to provacation) on the Travel Channel IIRC.