TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Fire Pro Wrestling

So the Forums at the Fire Pro Club are going nuts right now.

One dude (SonnyBone) claims to be getting an interview with someone from Grasshopper Manufacture (Goichi Suda aka No More Heroes & Killer7 creator - also worked on the old SNES fire pro games) and that the information given in the interview will make said forum very happy. In one of the later pages he drops a hint that it also looks like they may be looking for fan input from the FPC forum members into this game or re-release of a game.. or whatever it is. This wouldn't be the first time it's happened as a marketing manager from Agetec dropped by the forums to solicit feedback and ideas when they were producing the localization of Fire Pro Returns (hell we even got into the credits of the manual). :P

Anyway, http://www.fireproclub.com/forum/viewtopic...=16&t=20461 is the thread in question. He says he can post it around the 29th of this month which is about when Famitsu magazine is supposed to officially unveil the project.

I just wanted to post this because I know we have a few Fire Pro addicts here at TSM. :)

Always meant to get around playing Fire Pro, I remember my mate emailed the UK distributer to get a copy for the PS2 release last year or so. They gave him a list of stores that would have it. None had it, they eventually just shipped him a copy! Be nice if there was a PS3 version coming out for those of us who don't have BC PS3s.

A lot of people are guessing it's an HD game, either a remix of an old game or a brand new one. He's said that at least one guess in the thread is on the money, and that's the one I'm leaning toward hoping it is.

Seems like the speculation is leaning towards a new game or a remake with online capability.

I don't know...I've played basically all the Fire Pro games since 6 Man Scramble. Don't know if I would run out and buy a new Fire Pro, especially if it's import only again.

I'm a mark for it. I still have all of my old SNES import Firepro games (carts, boxes and all). I'd definitely buy it. Import it. Homebrew it. Whatever I gotta do! :P

Semi off topic but I never understood the luster of simulating matches. Even when I'm doing a battle royal and get chucked, I can only watch for a minute or two before I start a new match. People on Fire Pro Club constantly talk about these great matches they sim and how they barely play the game as they're too busy simming. No matter how much logic get put into these edits, the wrestlers still seem to be going back and forth randomly doing moves to each other w/ little to no rhyme or reason.

No matter how much logic get put into these edits, the wrestlers still seem to be going back and forth randomly doing moves to each other w/ little to no rhyme or reason.

Just like real Japanese wrestling.

Yeah, I've never gotten into the simming thing either. I think a lot of those people got into it because as far as one player action, FPR is pretty limited...being there is no real story mode or anything. Yeah, tweaking the logic can be somewhat fun, but seriously how long can you keep adjusting numbers with the different edits you've made before it gets old?

That goes back to one thing...I hope if there is a new Fire Pro game, it has some sort of story mode or at least a "beat all the guys in the game to unlock some hidden characters and win the belt" thing, like the older Fire Pro games. The lack of any story mode in FPR was a downer, IMHO.

Of course, it would help to know what system this new game will be on (assuming it is a new game).

No matter how much logic get put into these edits, the wrestlers still seem to be going back and forth randomly doing moves to each other w/ little to no rhyme or reason.

Well that statement leads me to believe you haven't seen much Japanese wrestling.

RE: simming. I'm out on that one as well. Not my bag. I like to PLAY the game. I think the majority of the simmers run their own fantasy feds (whether with members or for their own amusement) which is why it's so big over there.

I sim. I even have my own little fantasy promotion with my CAW's and whatever indy guys I think fit with the "feel" of my promotion.

Yeah, I've never gotten into the simming thing either. I think a lot of those people got into it because as far as one player action, FPR is pretty limited...being there is no real story mode or anything. Yeah, tweaking the logic can be somewhat fun, but seriously how long can you keep adjusting numbers with the different edits you've made before it gets old?

That goes back to one thing...I hope if there is a new Fire Pro game, it has some sort of story mode or at least a "beat all the guys in the game to unlock some hidden characters and win the belt" thing, like the older Fire Pro games. The lack of any story mode in FPR was a downer, IMHO.

Of course, it would help to know what system this new game will be on (assuming it is a new game).

Hopefully they bring back the old storymode that ends with your wrestler killing himself

Well that statement leads me to believe you haven't seen much Japanese wrestling.

I've seen my fair share of Japanese wrestling and more often then not I end up with the impression that it's 2 or more guys beating the living piss out of each other, stiff shots, head drops etc.... and I just couldn't get into it.

More or less(with exceptions) that is Japanese wrestling, although you could say they base their wrestling off of Fire, Fighting Spirit, and intensity. Some say they are just bad workers, but I think what they do is pretty cool when done right.

I'm pumped if there will be another fire pro game, especially if its for ps3. I played quite a bit on Fire Pro Returns, and have thought of picking it up again recently. Great game.

I've seen my fair share of Japanese wrestling and more often then not I end up with the impression that it's 2 or more guys beating the living piss out of each other, stiff shots, head drops etc.... and I just couldn't get into it.

That sounds more like ECW than Japanese pro wrestling. There is a ton of psychology in Japanese wrestling. I don't know where people get the idea that there isn't. Go watch Kanemura vs Inoue from the finals of the Super Jr last year. I was there live and that shit brought the house down.

I think people get that impression when they first go looking for Japanese wrestling, and they've heard so much about how Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi are so great, so they go watch one of those matches, and they see someone get dropped on their head 15 times in a row, get straight back up after every move, and then go down for the count via an elbow smash.

I mean, even as a fan of Japanese wrestling, you have to admit that the psychology used over there (at least sometimes) is way different then what goes on here. Thus, I can see how people would wonder where the psychology is, cuz it's not where they normally look for it.

It is different - but every match isn't murder backdrops and burning hammers and then an elbowsmash finish. You're talking about a very small segment of the matches.

I'm aware, but the more important part of what I was trying to say is that Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi are known to be legends in Japan, so for your average US fan looking to see what Japanese wrestling is like, those people/matches are what they're likely to see first, and those are the backdrop, back up matches.

So they see the "best" wrestlers wrestling that style first, and thus it forms their opinion on Japanese wrestling. I'm not saying it's a correct view or anything, but you wondered why people thought like that, so I tried to explain why I think they do.

Also, I gotta say, on simmimg - I don't sim, but to say that even with the logic they just do random moves is unfair. A good Dean Malenko edit wouldn't pose or go for pins all the time, he'd try for submission holds a lot. Conversely, a good Hulk Hogan edit would pose a lot. Granted, it's based on percentages and how likely they are to do things, so it's still random to a degree, and it's not like the computer will use heavy psychology, but I think that to call it totally random isn't fair.

I think people get that impression when they first go looking for Japanese wrestling, and they've heard so much about how Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi are so great, so they go watch one of those matches, and they see someone get dropped on their head 15 times in a row, get straight back up after every move, and then go down for the count via an elbow smash.

I mean, even as a fan of Japanese wrestling, you have to admit that the psychology used over there (at least sometimes) is way different then what goes on here. Thus, I can see how people would wonder where the psychology is, cuz it's not where they normally look for it.

You completely hit the nail on the head. I have seen a decent amount, and a lot of them were the kinds of matches that you had mentioned. I even thought Joe/Kobashi was absolutely ridiculous. Not to say I don't see how some people could enjoy it, it's just that it wasn't my thing.

I however did enjoy what I saw of the series of matches between Tiger Mask and Dynamite.

Anyway, moving on from puro vs American wrestling..

The dude in thread over at FPC says that the game releases across multiple platforms on September 9th of this year. He's saying that he should hopefully be able to reveal the interview and what exactly the game is either today or at least by the 29th of this month - depends on what GHM says and when Famitsu plans to publish the info.

That thread at the FPC is pretty tedious.

They actually finally announced it..."Fire Pro HD for PS3/Xbox 360. Fire Pro 20th Anniversary Collection for Wii." So two separate games, apparently.

Fire Pro HD will be an Arcade title on the 360 and whatever PS3 has. In Japan. With English Translations.

And apparently no plans to put it on the American Marketplace.

How that makes any sense, I'm not sure.

I guess it's fine and dandy for PS3 owners since the Marketplace there is all together, but for 360 owners it basically means you'll have to set up a Japanese account (theoretically if it works), buy the game in Japanese, and then pay another Live account per month to play Fire Pro HD online with other people.

Ass. Backwards.

Boo. Fucking. Urns.

I normally don't approve of petitionings and whatnot, but my desire for a current gen Fire Pro will not be denied without a fight.

I wouldn't rule out an American release for this. I mean they (Spike) also said that they had no plans to release any more Fire Pro's in the States aside from the handheld versions and then Agetec scored a license for Fire Pro Returns. It could happen. That said, I can't wait for that day so I'll be downloading this via the Japanese PSN the day it releases.

So psyched!

Taken from DVDVR, from SonnyBone at FireProClub, details on Fire Pro HD:

On September 9th, 2009

For Playstation 3 and XBOX 360

Format: Download only

Region: Japan

Developed by S-Neo and Grasshopper Manufacture

Published by Spike

Fire Pro Wrestling HD

A new installment in the Fire Pro Wrestling series featuring high definition graphics and online functionality to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Fire Pro.

- Full 1080p support

- High resolution 2D sprites (3 times the pixel density of Fire Pro Returns)

- "Rebuilt" game engine

- XBOX Live and Playstation Network support for online play

- FULL ENGLISH TRANSLATION AVAILABLE FROM THE OPTIONS MENU

- Unlockables

- Downloadable content (download moves?!)

- Custom soundtrack support

- Upgraded logo editor featuring "image import".

- Share edits and logos online with friends via PSN and XBOX Live

Confirmed modes

Champion Road

One Night Match

Match Maker

Point Battle

Team Mach

Survival

Online Play

League

Tournament

Edit

Card Shop

Known mode details

Champion Road

A decision driven ‘career mode’ similar to Fighting Road from Fire Pro Wrestling G.

You begin by selecting your starting location. (Japan, America, Mexico, England)

You cannot use any default wrestlers or pre-made edits.

You have to start with a new character that has limited edit points.

Edit points, moves, and ring attire are collected by earning points in matches.

Points are earned based on audience ranking and other factors.

Your starting location also determines your available choices.

Advancing in Champion Road earns tokens that can be spent at the Card Shop.

One Night Match

All exhibition match options are available through One Night Match.

Confirmed match types

1 vs 1

Tag Team

Four Team Match ( 4 teams of 2 ?)

Battle Royale

Title Match

SWA Rules

Gruesome Fighting

Cage Match

Exploding Cage Match

Landmine Death Match

And 2 new match types that haven’t been revealed yet

New match features

Audience ranking for all match types

Captain’s fall rule

Lucha tag rule

Defend titles in any match type

New weapons

Match speed in custom increments (ex: 108%, 122%, etc)

Match Maker

The new version of Match Maker isn’t structured.

There are no objectives or pre-made scenarios.

You can book complete shows with defaults and edits.

All One Night Match and tournament / league options are available within Match Maker

Point Battle

A new mode to Fire Pro Wrestling!

The game randomly selects wrestlers from the roster for a match

You then bet on the outcome of the match

Tokens you earn can be spent at the Card Shop

COM vs COM only

Team Match

The standard 5 vs 5 elimination mode from previous Fire Pro games

1 vs 1 matches only

Survival

Wrestle an endless line of opponents until you lose

Earn tokens to spend in the Card Shop

Online Play

Play against friends or random opponents via XBOX Live and Playstation Network

Voice chat support

Online Point Battle where you can bet tokens against other players

"Party Play"

"Spectator"

League and Tournament

Titles can be awarded to winners of leagues and tournaments

Edit Mode

Wrestler Edit

Ref Edit

Belt Edit

Organization Edit

Logo Edit

Ring Edit

Trade

New edit features

Logo editor allows for ‘image import’

Trade: Online sharing of all edit content

"Advanced ring edit"

Alternate attires for wrestler edits

Edit space is based on available hard drive space

Card Shop

This is where you spend your earned tokens to purchase in-game content.

Confirmed content: templates, default characters, alternate attires, artwork, videos

You will buy ‘collector cards’ for the unlockable material. The cards will be displayed in your card collection

I can't wait.

Also from Boner's thread, on the Wii Collection Game:

Here's the info on Fire Pro Wrestling 20th Anniversary Collection

---------------------------

Release Date: TBA

EXCLUSIVELY for the Nintendo Wii

Format: Disc

Region: Japan

Developed by Grasshopper Manufacture and S-Neo

Published by Spike

Fire Pro Wrestling 20th Collection

A collection of 10 classic Fire Pro Wrestling games and a new version of Blazing Tornado to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Fire Pro.

Classic games

PC Engine / TG-16

Fire Pro Wrestling Combination Tag

Fire Pro Wrestling Second Bout

Fire Pro Wrestling 3 Legend Bout

Super Famicom / Super Nintendo

Super Fire Pro Wrestling

Super Fire Pro Wrestling 2

Super Fire Pro Wrestling 3 Final Bout

Super Fire Pro Wrestling SPECIAL

Super Fire Pro Wrestling Queen’s Special

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X PREMIUM

These games will be released with only a few minor changes.

- HUMAN logos replaced with SPIKE logos

- Officially licensed wrestlers / logos / etc will be replaced

Players will be able to unlock video interviews, concept art, and other extra content by completing certain objectives in the classic games.

Also on the 20th collection disc:

Blazing Tornado REDUX

Grasshopper Manufacture and S-Neo are combining their efforts on the ‘redux’ of Blazing Tornado.

The new version of Blazing Tornado is based on the original coin-op version of the game, but features new characters and scenarios created by Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture.

Gameplay will remain true to Masato Masuda’s original Blazing Tornado, but will be "expanded for current technology".

Confirmed characters

Eric Starbuck

Daijiro Zama

Wolf McSchneider

Baron Firebird

John Saigo

MASK de Smith

Ho Long

Hayate

Skull Punk II

Jailbreaker Bullnoi

Thunder Ryu

Hizelshutat von Ludwig

Known modes and match types

One on one

Tag team

Battle Royale

Death Match

Blazing Road

BLAZING ROAD is a story driven single player mode where players take control of a rookie and fight their way to the top of the wrestling world.

There are 2 main story paths: Face and Heel.

There are multiple endings within each path.

Events take place both in and out of the ring.

Story sequences feature voiceovers. English subtitles will be an option.

The way you win matches will determine what happens in the story.

In addition to regular moves and finishers, certain "cinematic finishers" can be triggered during Champion Road matches. These are optional and will alter the story.

No edit mode in Blazing Tornado Redux.

-----------------------------------------------------------

These games are further along than FPWHD.

It sounds like PS3 owners will have the easiest route to getting one of these games (as far as people living in the US). A lot of people at fireproclub.com are freaking out about trying to buy a PS3 and stuff...which is funny since the game isn't coming out for almost 6 more months.