TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

Brodeur vs. Roy

I was at the Devils game tonight, and it was just insane. Total playoff like atmosphere the whole way through. The crowd stood the last two minutes, about to shit themselves hoping they'd hang on.

I was at the Devils game tonight, and it was just insane. Total playoff like atmosphere the whole way through. The crowd stood the last two minutes, about to shit themselves hoping they'd hang on.

Wait, they actually showed up to a regular season game?

Glad to see Broduer get the wins record (especially since he knocked Roy's weak ass off that top spot). Always liked him even though I hated the Devils. Also, he's only 4 shutouts away from Sawchuk's record.

Glad to see Broduer get the wins record (especially since he knocked Roy's weak ass off that top spot). Always liked him even though I hated the Devils. Also, he's only 4 shutouts away from Sawchuk's record.

What makes the greatest goalie in history such a "weak ass"?

Brodeur's not a weak-ass.

Holy hell, the Canucks are actually right up Calgary's ass for the lead in the division.

Yea, they were just ten back recently. Now they're three back. Burrows' goal against Carolina is going to define the season.

Brodeur's not a weak-ass.

Too bad Brodeur isn't the greatest goalie in history.

Most wins, soon to have most shutouts, 3 Cups, 4 finalists, 4 Vezinas, 4 Jennings trophies, 1 Calder trophy

He won all his Vezinas after Roy, and Hasek were retired Brouders and Roys accomplishments are pretty much on par... What seperates them though is Roy's playoff accomplishments IMO.

Me personally I can't stand Patrick Roy and have always been a fan of Brodeur. But I have to be unbiased and say he was the best goalie of my time. Then again there could be an arguement either way for Brodeur being the GOAT. Just guess it's personal opinion.

In regards to Roy, I know he's a great goalie and all but I just don't like him. Chalk it up to the whole Wings'/Avs rivalry, it's just the way it is.

if roy played in jersey and brodeur in montreal we wouldn't even be having a debate about this.

Don't see the argument in this at all... Both had great teams, I doubt their would be much difference at all.

Brodeur coasted on the winds of the neutral zone trap at its absolute zenith/nadir. When you face 12 shots on goal a night, anything's possible!

Oh and the Pahlsson trade is going to be Dale Tallon's undoing. He'll be back in the broadcast booth by next year with Scotty Bowman taking over, most likely. The Hawks have been the worst team in the league since the deadline, since they traded a solid defenseman for, in effect, an unripe AHLer. Now I'll just be happy if they make the playoffs and win a game.

Brodeur coasted on the winds of the neutral zone trap at its absolute zenith/nadir. When you face 12 shots on goal a night, anything's possible!

That made me chuckle.

Most wins, soon to have most shutouts, 3 Cups, 4 finalists, 4 Vezinas, 4 Jennings trophies, 1 Calder trophy

I think Brodeur gets the nod when(not if) he breaks Sawchuk's record. I don't like the shootout/trap argument either. Are Gretzky's scoring records less impressive, or diluted in some way, because scoring was higher in the 80's?

In regards to Roy, I know he's a great goalie and all but I just don't like him. Chalk it up to the whole Wings'/Avs rivalry, it's just the way it is.

You're presumably a Wing fan - you have nothing to justify regarding your Roy hatred.

Are Gretzky's scoring records less impressive, or diluted in some way, because scoring was higher in the 80's?

No, because I think people rightly or wrongly consider the 1980s as the standard, with the modern trap era being an unfortunate aberration wherein nobody could get over the blue line to shoot on what was closer to a child's pillow-fort than an actual goalie, a modern analogue to the dead ball era in baseball. It's possible that the post-lockout era will be regarded as being over-inflated relative to the norm and informally adjusted as well.

I'm a Wings fan, but I'm also a goalie and have a lot of respect for St. Patrick. In my opinion, Roy is the better goalie by a long shot. Era matters, like Czech has said, but the playoff stats say a lot more. 4 Cups to 3, a record 3 Conn Smythe Trophies (Only 4 players have 2), and nearly sixty more playoff wins with only twenty more playoff losses. If I have to chose one of these guys, I chose Roy without even thinking about it.

I'd probably rank Roy 5th on my list. He's behind (in no particular order) Roy, Hasek, Sawchuck, and Dryden. I don't see that being a hit against him, since he's still one of the greatest of all time, but he's never in my conversation for the greatest.

The thing that strikes me about Roy is that he started in the mid 1980's and was putting up GAA around 2.50 during that era, insane numbers to say the least.

When he was playing alongside Brodeur, he was getting even better. From 1997 through 2001 he decreased his GAA from 2.39 to 2.29, 2.28, 2.21, and a league leading 1.94! He then followed that up with a 2.18 in 2002. Roy was generally facing over 1630 shots a season during that time.

From 1997 to 2002, Brodeur was putting up similar GAA numbers while facing far fewer shots (regularly around 1500-1550 during that time). Roy also had a better save %, often getting around .915 while Brodeur was around .905.

Brodeur for his career has faced 22.9 SPG. Roy for his career faced 27.6 SPG.

The playoffs are a closer call but Brodeur never put up GAA of 1.92 (1985 Roy) or 2.09 (1988 Roy) in peak scoring eras either.

I'd put Roy ahead of Brodeur although Brodeur would still be in the Top 5.

if roy played in jersey and brodeur in montreal we wouldn't even be having a debate about this.

Don't see the argument in this at all... Both had great teams, I doubt their would be much difference at all.

media attention.

roy gets blown HARD because he played in hockey mecca. brodeur gets a tad underated because he was forgotten in jersey. if brodeur put up those numbers in montreal, he'd be considered hands down the best.

media attention.

roy gets blown HARD because he played in hockey mecca. brodeur gets a tad underated because he was forgotten in jersey. if brodeur put up those numbers in montreal, he'd be considered hands down the best.

No, Roy gets "blown HARD" because he is one of the most clutch playoff goalies of all time. He's won three Conn Smythes. Brodeur is hardly forgotten, but most people don't give him as much credit as they do Roy because Roy was putting up fantastic numbers in an era that was not at all conducive to good goaltending stats. Meanwhile, Brodeur has done great in an era which has allowed for goalies to become incredibly dominant. And even throughout that, he has not managed to win a single Conn Smythe.

Roy is the superior goalie in this debate. Brodeur is easily one of the best, but Roy is well-above him in terms of achievements, especially where it matters (In the playoffs).

In Brodeur's defence, the only reason he didn't win one in 03 is because Gigeure played completely out of his mind. And even then, he had 7 shutouts!

In Brodeur's defence, the only reason he didn't win one in 03 is because Gigeure played completely out of his mind. And even then, he had 7 shutouts!

This is fair, but that still doesn't make up against the 3 Roy has. He also got one facing off against Brodeur directly, back in 2001. He had a damned 1.70 GAA and a .934 average.

This is fair, but that still doesn't make up against the 3 Roy has. He also got one facing off against Brodeur directly, back in 2001. He had a damned 1.70 GAA and a .934 average.

You make great points about Roy, I freely admit that. I'll be honest, part of is that I just don't like the guy.

The Devils have lost Stevens, Neidermayer and Rafalski, and he's still playing great in net. So it's not just his D and the Devils style.

You make great points about Roy, I freely admit that. I'll be honest, part of is that I just don't like the guy.

The Devils have lost Stevens, Neidermayer and Rafalski, and he's still playing great in net. So it's not just his D and the Devils style.

I hate Roy as well, it doesn't stop me from denying his greatness. Whats to like about Roy? He's a whiny jerk, and a terrible person. But when he played, it was like watching magic. You should learn to be unbiased.

And even though most of the Devils core players from their Cup years are gone, they still have an extremely talented team. Brodeur is playing good, but Scott Clemmensen came in and played just as good as Brodeur is playing now.

It's to be expected. All three of the great modern goalies (Brodeur, Hasek, and Roy) have ranged from quirky to divaesque at any given time. I feel the same way about Brodeur, and I had problems with Hasek at times as well.

Brodeur is playing well but Scott Clemmensen came in and played just as well as Brodeur is playing now.

They're still a talented team, but Brodeur is a fantastic goalie. They're my pick to win the Cup.

You should learn to be unbiased.

Lol? I don't deny Roy's greatness, I just don't think he's THE greatest. Hopefully Brodeur will make it through the week without beating his wife, unlike Roy the week he broke the record.

Brodeur is one away from matching his playoff shutout record as well, and he has a better career winning percentage

Lol? I don't deny Roy's greatness, I just don't think he's THE greatest. Hopefully Brodeur will make it through the week without beating his wife, unlike Roy the week he broke the record.

Is that remark is suppose to get a reaction out of me? I don't like Roy as a person, he's a peice of shit so make all the snarly remarks about his personal life all you want.

Brodeur is one away from matching his playoff shutout record as well, and he has a better career winning percentage

Brodeur could match his playoff shutout record all he wants, he'll never be the playoff performer Roy was. Infact while we are at it, I don't think Brodeur was a better goalie then Hasek.