TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JaMarcus Russell's #1 Caucasian Fan

Medical Marijuana

Big news this week as Eric Holder, the Attorney General, announced that the federal government would no longer prosecute Medical Marijuana Clubs that operated within the letter of the law. In my state and many other states, this has made marijuana consumption for all intents and purposes, legal. In California, I believe legislation has been introduced to tax marijuana. Good news if you're a pothead.

Now too the economics of marijuana. As you know, California has a multi-billion dollar deficit. Marijuana in some counties in Northern California support most, if not all, the economy. A county supervisor in Mendicino, stated for CNBC that if marijuana is taken away, that the county would go under.

With all the facts we know about Marijuana today, should we end the bullshit and legalize it? I know in California, it is a billion dollar industry waiting to be made legitimate. Legalization would have an international ripple, as the cartels in Mexico would go bankrupt.

You make an interesting point about the Mexican cartels being in trouble if weed became legal in the States. The downside here is the potential for a massive Mexican gang incursion into California with a vendetta to wipe out anybody who, at the street level is dealing legalized weed.

If it was legalized, I would imagine it would be dealt with like alcohol is in the States. Meaning in store, good quality and selection. It would still be legal to grow your own, but it be heavily taxed. It's a possibility that something like you suggested could happen, though, which I had never thought of.

I've never understood how if somebody smokes weed they automatically equal "pothead."

For sure. I'm nothing like your stereotypical pothead. I wasn't even when I smoked often.

I'm obviously "yay" for this. The only people who should be against it are those who are ignorant (watch, that term will be taken out of context) to the truth about marijuana and its positives and negatives, i.e. people who believe those "Above the Influence" commercials' propaganda. But I won't get into that now.

I would get a medical marijuana card, but I don't smoke often enough to justify it. When I do smoke, I have plenty of Mexican friends with prescriptions of their own who will hook me up.

That about sums it up. The one and only drawback I can see (besides substance abuse which will occur with many things, whether legal and illegal) is that there is no reliable test similar to a breathalyzer but for marijuana. I'm all for legalization, but I don't want a bunch of idiots driving around stoned. And would there be open container laws like with alcohol? I don't see how that would work if they sell the stuff in packs like cigarettes.

Wait, someone explain something to me.

K, medical marijuana clubs that operate within the laws won't be prosecuted. Okay. I'm assuming that such a club is a place where someone who has a medical marijuana card can go, buy some weed, and smoke it. Okay.

So, how does not prosecuting these places (if they follow all laws) mean weed is essentially legal? Is it just easy enough to get medical marijuana certification that anyone who wants to, will? Like, if I didn't have a card, I couldn't go in and buy weed, could I? Wouldn't that still be illegal? Or could I just go and GET a card, thus making it perfectly legal?

But yeah, I'm for it, I'm just confused.

You make an interesting point about the Mexican cartels being in trouble if weed became legal in the States. The downside here is the potential for a massive Mexican gang incursion into California with a vendetta to wipe out anybody who, at the street level is dealing legalized weed.

Hey, I wonder how that would work with all the illegal immigrants we don't have room for in jail anymore, since were just letting them out and giving them a "stiffer" parole.

Things will be getting "fun" for a while.

So, how does not prosecuting these places (if they follow all laws) mean weed is essentially legal? Is it just easy enough to get medical marijuana certification that anyone who wants to, will? Like, if I didn't have a card, I couldn't go in and buy weed, could I? Wouldn't that still be illegal? Or could I just go and GET a card, thus making it perfectly legal?

Need a card, usually around $100-200 to get one for a year. Then you can buy... no card no buy

The only question I have though is, if it becomes outright legal, then does that include people who just want to grow a few plants for personal use, and also wouldn't people come up with better and more potent weed then they sell in stores?

My brother in law knows how to grow it pretty efficiently, so why would I ever want to buy it from a store when he could hook me up for free?

I imagine it would be the same laws, if you have a card... you can grow up to... four or five plants? Not sure about the exact number but it would be the same. My cousin grows and then sells it to some of the local clubs in his area.

Wait, someone explain something to me.

K, medical marijuana clubs that operate within the laws won't be prosecuted. Okay. I'm assuming that such a club is a place where someone who has a medical marijuana card can go, buy some weed, and smoke it. Okay.

But yeah, I'm for it, I'm just confused.

I think it is a state law vs. federal law thing. States would legalize medical marijuana, but the U.S. Department of Justice would go after pot users for violating federal laws.

Prohibition doesn't work; legalize it.

I'm not sure if it would really help all that much in the Mexican drug situation, as cocaine seems to be a bigger deal, but maybe it would help somewhat.