TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Traveling to England

A friend and I are planning a trip to England for a little over a week at the end of April/early May. We are now in the process of looking at hotels and trying to get everything in order. I've only been out of the country once and that was to the Caribbean with the family, so this will be a new experience for me and I'm not sure what to expect. We plan on staying near London, but realize that hotel prices are much higher in Central London, so we are looking at taking public transportation around.

So tell me TSM world travelers (or Englishman who want to help an American tourist out). What should I look for/expect/go do while I'm there?

Food is shit. We're not as friendly as stereotypes make out to be - we hate Americans. Economy is shite. The weather is backwards. We drive on the left hand side of the road. There are some decent places to stay in London if don't expect world class quality pampering. Basically a bed and breakfast. London fucking sucks by the way. Its the most unenglish place in England, followed by Birmingham and Manchester. London is basically a shit hole and should have the black plague put upon it again.

You might have more fun checking out some of the towns on the outskirt of London, it all depends what you want to do while you're here. Are you landmark sight seeing? Looking for some good clubs? Live bands? Theme parks?

. London is basically a shit hole and should have the black plague put upon it again.

This is completely untrue, though I do agree with you about the other cities. I don't think my London activities have been particularly touristy, but I do recommend The Imperial War Museum.

Oh come off it Central London is a shit hole. I'm half tempted to open a bakery just so I can set fire to the whole fucking place. Its full of illegal immigrants, homeless people and... well... people from London. Its highly polluted, unfriendly and just a horrible horrible place. Everything in London is £10 more then everywhere else for no reason other then its London. Its like a like it has a London tax that it doesn't tell you about until you suddenly realise that it costs £12 for a meal from McDonalds.

Though it could just be the Northerner in me coming out.

Out of interest I googled 'London is a shithole'

http://whyihatelondon.wordpress.com/

I went to London in 2007 and had an awesome time. Here are some tips that I hope are helpful:

-Plan on spending a lot of money. As you should know the pound is about double the worth of the dollar right now.

-I would advise staying in a hostel to keep costs down. Just stay at place where you can safely sleep at night.

-Use the Tube to your advantage. It's inexpensive and it's super easy. You'll be a pro in no time.

-Try to get on a double decker tour that lets you get off and explore. Another good way to view the sights.

All in all, plan on walking a lot. There is so much to do in London, that you should not be bored. Have a good trip.

Some of the comments in this thread and that I've been finding on the net have me rethinking a couple of things about this trip. The friend that I'm going on the trip with wants to stay for 9-10 days, but I think I'm going to cut it down to 5-6.

See the Imperial War Museum for sure. When I went there I was only there for three days, but the Tower of London, Greenwich, the Globe Theatre etc were all nice places. Also do check out the London Dungeon, it's great fun.

London fucking sucks by the way. Its the most unenglish place in England, followed by Birmingham and Manchester.

What makes other places more "English"? Less brown people?

London has great places to go and awful places to go. Don't be put off by someone condemning a whole massive city as universally terrible. It is a very Northern thing to say London is shit.

Yes its expensive, but so are a lot of major European cities. I had to spend far more in a weekend in Barcelona recently than I would have done visiting London.

There's lots of history to see, and plenty of great museums, galleries and pubs (with perfectly drinkable non-warm beer) to visit.

London is good to visit, not so good to live in. I've come round to it a lot recently with a lot of my friends moving there, but it's definitely for tourists. Manchester is great. I can only assume the 'most unenglish' comment was just racism/xenophobia as well, so ignore that one.

It wasn't racist at all or anything to do with the amount of 'brownish' people. London isn't an English City, its hustle and bustle, noise and dirt. Yes, its a great tourist attraction, lovely, history, monuments, great - but its no longer an English City. Its a Metropolitan disaster and is basically a poor man's New York. They'll see you for the tourist you are and try to take your money. You'll find no hospitality and will find alot of people are rude... or just other tourists.

You want to find a city with some good pubs that know how to server beer, beer that is cold and with a bit of a head.

Manchester is OK and Birmingham is fine and has some great shops, just avoid the Pizza hut on the High Street next to Halifax - fucking awful service.