TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Heaven needed to be Well Dunn

Apparently Steven Doll has passed away. Most likely won't recognize the name, but he was a opening match level talent in WWF / USWA as Steven Dunn, and later in WCW. The only thing I can think of him being involved in that was of any note was being in a match against Mike Enos when Scott Hall first invaded WCW. He was only 44

01.jpg

Well Dunn indeed.

f4w-

Former regional and WWF tag star passes away

Steve Doll, best known as part of the tag team of the Southern Rockers, passed away earlier today at the age of 44.

Little details are available, although he had a major health scare a few years ago, and was taken off life support systems today.

Doll & Scott Peterson were the most popular tag team in the Pacific Northwest promotion of the 80s. Later, Rex King (Mark Smith) replaced Peterson on the team. Doll & Smith were used as a prelim tag team in the WWF in 1993 under the name Well Dunn. Smith wrestled as Timothy Well and Doll s Steven Dunn.

With King, they held the USWA tag team titles five times and the Northwest tag team titles four times.

Bob gone done Dunn it.

Dunn was probably most famous for being one of the guys in the ring when Scott Hall made his debut on Nitro.

Beat me to it Kamala, but his opponent was "The Mauler" (Mike Enos managed by Col Parker in a long-forgotten gimmick)

But anyhow sad to see yet another one go before 50. RIP

Doll and Mike Enos were smart to just walk out of the ring. From my years of watching Nitro, it's clear that when a star makes a run in during a match between two jobbers, jobbers are about to get their asses whooped.

You know watching it again, Hall's initial promo is pretty lousy but I guess the shock of seeing him on Nitro was 10x more than enough to put the segment over.

Anyways some more career highlights

Match is 10x more entertaining with the commentary en Espanol.

How soon do you think he goes in the All Time Wrestling roster draft, now?

Well Dunn were frontline members of the "Superstars Greet Pamela Anderson" troop at the 1995 Royal Rumble. Quite the indication of what the Fed was working with at the time.

I didn't get the pun in their name until a while after the fact, so I'm reminded of these guys every time I hear someone order a piece of meat well done. And as I used to cook steaks for a living, I've been reminded of them an awful lot over the years. I'd evidently managed to block the memory of those bowties out somehow. Yeesh!

What was the deal with Well Dunn, anyway? Were they supposed to be gay or something?

This is an interesting question, and one that I've asked myself many times since 1993. My theory is that they were supposed to be Chippendales-type dancers, as evidenced by the bowties and cuffs. And I know that a lot of WWF wrestlers from that era had to supplement their income by taking second jobs, so it sort of makes sense.

Yeah, I got more of a male stripper vibe than a gay tag team. Though virtually all cowardly heel teams have had their homoerotic moments.

And it's serial pillist instead of piller because we're merely repeating what Yuna called him in the Heath Ledger thread where the theory made its debut.