TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blue Bacchus

Who orded the NWA tonight?

Guest Blue Bacchus

Over all there were only two matches that I didn't like which were the Cheex match and the ladies battle royale (although Francine and Ferrara's interaction together was humorous).

What did you cats think?

Guest TheHulkster

I ordered it.

The Bad:

DON WEST! (I hate this man)

The Apolo Vs Random indie guy w/ skank match

Cheex Vs Jobber

The battle royal

The Alright:

Borash's announcing

Ferrara's commentating

2 or 3 of the chicks in the battle royal

K-Krush Vs Brian Christopher

Scott Hall Vs Jeff Jarrett

The Rainbow Express Vs 2 indie guys

The Shamrock Promo w/ James Mitchell

The Great:

Alicia =)

Goldilocks =)

The 30+ minute main event for the X title

Guest Gamengiri2002

I did and i will offer up a couple of comments.

Steve Corino should have been on the show.

Jarrett and Hall wasn't terrible, not even really bad, though Toby Keith's interference was lame.

Cheex is very disturbing to look at. My retinas wilted.(This is stated under the assumption that retinas can, in fact, wilt.)

Brian Christopher v. K-Krush couldn't have been more formatted directly from the previous Jarrett/Hall match. Here's to no more celebrity appearances.

Lingerie Battle Royal was a waste of time. Especially since Goldilocks, Fluff Dupp, and Alicia, who are arguably the best looking females in the promotion, were not included.

David Young v. Apolo was watchable but pretty bleh in the scheme of things. Bobcat's role doesn't really make any sense.

Harris & Storm v. Lenny & Bruce was pretty good overrall. I like Harris & Storm as a possible tag team to work with York & Matthews.

Malice is cool and worth a push. I dont care what Scott Keith says, that's no longer The Wall in the ring. He's improved, if not ten fold, then at least seven.

The X-Title Round Robin was easily better than anything the WWE has done thus far this year. And, since I haven't checked any puro so far, I would place it along with Daniels, Low KI, and American Dragon from the Ring of Honor debut show as possible MOTYC's

After writing these terse observations about the show I realize that the big namer's are really dragging the show down. Anyway, X Title alone made it worth 10 bucks and clocked it in as a much better value than every WWE ppv since No Mercy 2001 (my opinion only).

Hopefully they can crank out a good 15 minute X Title defense for every show and I'll be happy to continue my WWE PPV boycott.

Guest Vyce

I ordered the PPV. I want to help these guys succeed, and hell, I needed something to do tonight, waiting around for Smackdown (which, for the first time in a long time, I'm semi-excited to watch) tomorrow.

The Jarrett / Hall match wasn't too bad, but it was very slow-paced and both men looked tired. I agree, Toby Keith wasn't good here. Then again, he's a freakin' county music star, what should we expect? If both men had been fresh, I'd have expected a better match.

I hope and pray that this Cheex guy was a one-time thing. He's disturbing. I don't mean Big Show disturbing; I don't mean Bastion Booger disturbing. I'm talking Loch Ness-level "What the FUCK is that???" disturbing. And he can't do shit in the ring.

K-Krush vs. Christopher.....maybe it's just me, but I like Krush's gimmick here. The lone black guy (let's call it like it is) taking on the redneck white boys of Alabama! He's not bad as the heel, and he's just talented enough in the ring. Christopher, however, bores me to tears in every match he's in. I agree with Gamen, a bit more formatting would have helped. Next week's tag match could be decent, if Jarrett & Krush do all the work.

The battle royale was badly run and managed. Too many girls, all but 4 of whom I had never really seen before. Just bad booking, a train wreck. And the WORST travesty of ALL-TIME - NO SHOTS OF DAFFNEY IN HER DRAWERS!!!! I mean, shit, that was one of the reasons I ordered this damn PPV, I kid you not. When she got ripped down to her knickers, the camera was conveniently off of her and on Francine beating the shit out of Ed Ferrarra. GodDAMN you for that, NWA.

David Young v. Apolo was watchable but pretty bleh in the scheme of things. Bobcat's role doesn't really make any sense.

Agreed. It wasn't a bad match, but it was just kind of there. It sort of helped establish David Young as a midcard heel (it at least got his face out there), but I have NO clue as to what this Bobcat shit is all about, unless they're going to do some dopey angle where she distracts him and causes him to lose every match. Apolo should be built up strong by the bookers; he's got the look and ability to become a popular midcard face. To make comparisons to the WWE, he could be their Edge - a solid midcard worker who flirts with upper card status.

Harris & Storm v. Lenny & Bruce was pretty good overrall. I like Harris & Storm as a possible tag team to work with York & Matthews.

Again I agree. I think it would have been better had they a little more time to work together and set up a match, but this was good. Harris & Storm are both talented AND marketable, which I hope the NWA remembers. And what can I say for Lenny & Bruce? If you're going to be stuck in a shitty gimmick, at least go all the way with it (and they have!). Kudos to Alan Funk, who must truly & deeply love this business if he's willing to suffer through this many bad gimmicks just to earn his spot.

Malice is cool and worth a push. I dont care what Scott Keith says, that's no longer The Wall in the ring. He's improved, if not ten fold, then at least seven.

I may be crazy here, but I get a Kane vibe from Malice. He has definitely improved his look & physique. I want to see more of him in the ring to fully gauge his skill level, but from what I saw last week, I too think he's improved quite a bit. If they do this right, they could make him into a monster heel. I think his match with Shamrock next week could be good - if Shamrock makes him look good (i.e. sell his offense).

The X-Title match was great and definitely worth the 10 bucks alone. All four men put on a great effort, especially Styles & Lynn. This division could be what really puts the NWA on the map. With the new addition of Chris Daniels to the roster, I can safely drool with anticipation at the quality matches we can see coming down the road.

Overall: Up until the main, things weren't so hot. But the X-Title saved the show, so a thumbs up for me.

The announcing still has problems; they couldn't change them, of course, seeing as this was a taped-for-broadcast show. I hope they were watching these two shows and rectify things for next week. Tenay is good, of course. Ferrarra is not great at all, but he's bearable. Don West, though, is a pain. He either adds too much or nothing at all. He knows NOTHING about the business he's calling, and only serves to utter idiotic statements like "OH MY GOD! I HAVE NEVER SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THAT!" I'd can him; if they insist upon keeping him around, I'd have someone sit down with him and teach him a thing or two. At least have someone work with him, have him tone it all down.

The ringwork here was generally pretty good, but as was the case with Jarrett / Hall (and maybe Krush / Christopher) the talent was tired. The crowd was tired too. I hope they don't plan to do this again - have a live show, then tape another immediately afterwards. It only serves to make the talent tired, and the crowd lethargic.

Next week is where we will see if any improvements are made. I hope they're working on changing some things around, and they seem to realize that certain areas do need work (Jerry Jarrett said a few encouraging things in a recent interview). Here's hoping the third show works out well, and the tag tournament is good.

Guest razazteca

I saw the NWA TNA PPV for the 1st time I was so hyped up about the X Title match it was better than I expected. The 4 man double elimation format is now my favorite type of match period, it by far beats the 3 Way Dance and Triangle matches.......AJ Styles went 5 falls!!!!!.

What I notice with the non wrestling talent was that some people lost weight, like Joel Getner did, James Mitchell as the Leader of the New Church is still a good heel manager, Ed Ferrera apperently goes to the same hair stylist as Raven & Rob Zombie, and Borash seems to give away money to women for no apperant reason.

Finally the Shamrock has come back to the South, those long mutton chops look familiar.

Cheex seems to be King Mabel with Rikishi gimmick.....cottage cheese cheex, yuk.

The Rainbow Express was more entertaining than Billy & Chuck.

Low-Ki is a stiff kicking always angry looking with chip on shoulder fighter, I want to see more, he deserves the 1st title shot, or a shoot fight with Shamrock.

Guest J*ingus

The sad part about the Apollo/David Young match is that David is easily one of the top 10 overall workers in the company (and the only guy crazy enough to have moonsaulted off the entranceway in Wildside), but he gets to come in and be a jobber to guys like Apollo because... uh, just because.

And where'd you hear that Chris Daniels was joining the company? That makes their X roster even better.

Guest Blue Bacchus

Go check out their page Here forthe Fallen Angel news...

You know I think I'm gonna give Cheex a moniker... How about "Cheex, The Abyss of Workrate" ? :ph34r:

Guest Gamengiri2002

they announced Daniels signing on the site. Now we are one American Dragon away from me relinquishing WWE pay per view for the rest of the year.

Unless benoit really picks up, that is.

Guest TheDames7

Just so you know guys, I wrote a review on the show on the site. There's a link in my sig.

Dames

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I ordered based on hearing from the observer site that the X title match was supposed to be good.

So my expectations were pretty high...

And the match still blew me away.

Absolutely FANTASTIC.

Other stuff from the show and the company:

I like Mike Tenay. The rest I just tune out.

Malice does look impressive to me. That's not the Wall...and to be fair...I didn't hate the Wall. I think Malice can be a beleivable heel Main Eventer for NWATNA.

Hall vs. JJ was a decent tv match...and I guess thats what this really is. So if they can deliver something the caliber of the X title match (or hell...half that good) they'll get my ten bucks and they can keep their hour and fifteen minutes of television show too.

Apolo looks good to me.

Other than Cheex nothing really stood out as being "must miss" tv.

The power of the X title match alone puts this one above KOTR to me.

Glad they signed Daniels to be a part of the X division.

Won't order next week though...as the tag division will monopolize the show...and they don't have a tag team worth watching.

I would like to see Shamrock vs. Apolo...and wouldn't hate JJ/K-Krush vs. Hall/Christopher...but its not worth 10 bucks to me.

But the next time they advertise an X-title match...and names like Apolo, Corino, Shamrock, Malice, Hall, JJ, Styles, Daniels, Lynn (who was a workhorse last night), LowKi, and the Elvises have something interesting to do on the card...

This thing could end up being pretty damn good.

Guest dreamer420

you want to hear something that sucks. I live in canada and ordered the show last night through bell expressvu (my satellite) and much like it was proported on several news sites I got last weeks show instead. now, granted, I hadn't seen last weeks so it was nice to see the first pay per view but I ordered it wanting to see the X title match so I got fucked. apparently it was due to lack of canadian content.

maybe they didn't meet the universal wrestling requirement of having one star from calgary on their roster.