TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

More Gay Marriage?

You are making it seem as if I am anti-gay or anti-gay rights. I have stated repeatedly in many other threads that it is wrong that gay people are not provided the same rights as heterosexual couples. You can find it if you want. Right now I'm eating and I'm not going to find something just to appease you. Given that my account was deleted a few weeks ago, it may be hard to find it.

What I said here is

A.) People vote against propositions featuring gay marriage because people find it gross. It is absolute, undeniable FACT that they do.

B.) You'll also find that the number of people who don't want gays to be happy are also a fringe group. Then I provided an example. I don't speak for every Christian, just as those people who go on TV and spout garbage don't speak for every Christian.

C.) That I get mad when gays compare their struggle to those of blacks and Mexicans. That's just an opinion, it has nothing to do with religion or whatnot, it's just my opinion. It is not right and it is not wrong.

D.) Many people don't want their kids to be taught in school that it's okay for two people of the same sex to be married. And that was made clear on Election Day. I said I'd rather have my kids learn something like that at home, and that's not wrong. I don't go to church, but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't want them learning it there.

The only issue I have had with your argument is the talking snake thing. I'm not mad about any of this stuff, it's just talk. I don't appreciate that "909's going to wave his e-dick shit." You know I wouldn't, especially not over something like this. You are spouting that point without rhyme or reason, and making it seem as if people worship a talking snake. You have constantly gone back to this in every thread as if it were a crutch. I decided not to be rude until you ran away from discussing it.

If you get to pick & choose the "word of God," why don't you just live up to your human capacities and hold your own moral standards? If the "word" is so contradictory and contrived, how can it also be "all knowing"? But, I can't legitimately defend the nonsense and that's why I choose not let its muddled tenets lead my life.

No one is picking and choosing. What does a talking snake have to do with anything? Am I ignoring the word of God because I don't take a talking snake literally? Or maybe what's important is what the snake is saying?

I don't see why your morals hold more weight than morals in the Bible. I happen to believe in a higher power. And anyone who does will adjust accordingly. You don't so you do things differently. What's the problem here? Cause we don't hold your full human capacity moral standards? Is that what this is about? You think humans hold all the answers? That's fine. Good for you.

Just to let you know, in case you missed it, I don't have a problem with gay marriage. Just keep it out of the Church.

Just to let you know, in case you missed it, I don't have a problem with gay marriage. Just keep it out of the Church.

I think I missed the part where the pro-gay rights crowd said "No, the churches have to like it and let gay couples get married in their buildings." All I see are arguments that marraige licenses are taken care of the government and is a legal issue.

I cant make it any more clear to you that I dont take stuff like the Bible seriously. Human rights, the freedom to be with the person you love, however, that is serious. One involves actual human beings in relationship to one another, the other is a book filled with nonsense that had largely been written up by preceeding religions in Mesopotamia already.

I think more people have a beef with the school stuff. Either way, I was arguing why people felt that way. Not necessarily my views.

And to the non-religious crowd, using God of the Bible as justification to deny gays their rights just sounds rediculous. If I were trying to convince you Christian folks of something citing Vishnu, I can promise you wouldn't take me very seriously at all.

I cant make it any more clear to you that I dont take stuff like the Bible seriously. Human rights, the freedom to be with the person you love, however, that is serious. One involves actual human beings in relationship to one another, the other is a book filled with nonsense that had largely been written up by preceeding religions in Mesopotamia already.

You're an atheist good for you. Since you don't take the Bible seriously, there's nothing to argue here. But don't expect those religious nuts to take a guy with his own full capacity moral standards seriously either. And that's why both sides will continue to have problems.

Yes, it's about what the snake said. I certainly stand corrected!

Coincidentally, all Hindus believe that Nachiketa really had a long discussion with Yama (the god of Death) and learned the secret to life from him! You can really be fucking stupid sometimes.

You could recite an ancient Babylonian scripture that was borrowed by the Christian Bible later on and modern Christians probably wouldnt beleive it either.

You're an atheist good for you. Since you don't take the Bible seriously, there's nothing to argue here. But don't expect those religious nuts to take a guy with his own full capacity moral standards seriously either. And that's why both sides will continue to have problems.

When the athiest backs his argument up with logic and facts, it's not the atheist's problem if the Christians can be reasonable.

I'll give you a grand if you can find where I ever said any religion was more intelligent than Christianity. We're not discussing Hinduism here because it's not the organized body behind the majority of this country's anti-gay problem. That might be the worst, and most bizarre, straw-man I've ever seen erected at TSM. Good job!

I'll give you a grand if you can find where I ever said any religion was more intelligent than Christianity. We're not discussing Hinduism here because it's not the organized body behind the majority of this country's anti-gay problem. That might be the worst, and most bizarre, straw-man I've ever seen erected at TSM. Good job!

Way to miss the point.

When the athiest backs his argument up with logic and facts, it's not the atheist's problem if the Christians can be reasonable.

So after all this, you guys still get it wrong? This isn't a "logic and facts" argument. This is entirely a beliefs argument. Most, if not all, of your "logic and facts" are completely predicated on certain beliefs and assumptions regarding this debate.

What do you mean by logic and facts?

Not to be a coward, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep making the same point to the same three people.

You mean your idiotic point of how this is somehow totally different because it involves other people voting their opinions on other people? As in that's not how most other national moral questions are solved (with voting)?

So after all this, you guys still get it wrong? This isn't a "logic and facts" argument. This is entirely a beliefs argument. Most, if not all, of your "logic and facts" are completely predicated on certain beliefs and assumptions regarding this debate.

What assumptions are you talking about?

Your side has been thoroughly destroyed over this entire thread. Not onew legitmate anti-gay reason has been raised. But, name calling and insults is usually the only retort of a side wholly lacking in facts or reason. I have no hard feelings when the obvious happens.

What assumptions are you talking about?

The assumption that every one deserves the right to marriage, that marriage can be considered a right, that homosexuals should have the same marriage rights, etc.

I'm a firm believer in gay marriage, but I'm playing devil's advocate because you guys just don't get the debate. That's great that snuff can say that he's totally right about this, but you may as well consider yourself excluded from any discussion if you're going to say any opinions are right or wrong. It's not a right or wrong kind of thing, it's a personal thing, period.

Your side has been thoroughly destroyed over this entire thread. Not onew legitmate anti-gay reason has been raised. But, name calling and insults is usually the only retort of a side wholly lacking in facts or reason. I have no hard feelings when the obvious happens.

Okay, give us the facts. No assumptions or beliefs in any of them.

We're getting close to page 8 and I'm going to have to be cowardly and not repeat the same stuff yet again. Read the thread. I'll just say one thing, one last time (until next year's doppelganger thread), and hope one of you three can get this.

Freedom is for all people, not for those who have control of religious/political institutions. Keep your religion, it was never the issue here no matter how hard a few of you tried.

Says the man whose first two posts in this thread were anti-religious! Up until that point, posters were discussing the Mormon church's role in propagating the Yes on 8 campaign specifically, then you made it into the issue. I don't have a religion, and don't tell me that it wasn't the issue when you were the one to start the whole damn thing. I wasn't even discussing religion, I was discussing the very nature of the debate, which you do not understand, plain and simple.

Yes, it's about what the snake said.

Which was "Always drink your Ovaltine." Or "I used to fuck guys like you in prison." I tend to forget sometimes.