TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hitler Cubano

The Vitamin X Question Of The Day

Kind of keeping in line for what we talked about yesterday, and knowing people have all sorts of strange ideas for it..

What's your favorite cure for a hangover? Or for those of us who don't drink, talk about what you do when you feel sick as a dog to get better ASAP.

This could be a pretty useful thread for me today.

Cold pizza and water for my stomach. I try not to go anywhere near acetaminophen after I've been drinking, but I'll be damned if a single Excedrin Migraine isn't my short-term friend in situations like these.

Multivitamin and water before I fall asleep usually helps A LOT. And after I wake up my favorite cure is a chicken strip basket from Dairy Queen. Works very well for me to settle my hangover stomach.

I use a multi-step approach, though I may skip early steps accidentally:

1) Shitload of water before I pass out.

2) I tend to wake up pretty early after drinking (6-7 AM) as a reflex from my days of working at the club at night and then going to my day job. At that time, a piping hot shower, being sure to spend some time out of the water to sweat up a bit.

3) If going back and sleeping off the last bit of hangover doesn't work, I'll find some work to do outside for a while, keeping myself active and getting some relatively fresh air.

4 If I STILL feel shitty, I'll eat some menudo. If that doesn't work, it's likely to make me throw up, so problem solved either way.

So after months of largely fruitless job searching, I got two calls for interviews this morning. Quite good news, but I'm definitely feeling the few extra beers that I had last night. My problem is that I've never had a hangover cure, really. I consider the hangover to be a sort of punishment for enjoying myself, and therefore just suck it up and take it like a man (meaning that I just stay in bed all day). But because I have to actually pull myself together and be presentable to a couple of prospective employers later this afternoon, I'm drinking water like a motherfucker and will probably have a large lunch. Possibly a giant sandwich.

So after months of largely fruitless job searching, I got two calls for interviews this morning. Quite good news, but I'm definitely feeling the few extra beers that I had last night. My problem is that I've never had a hangover cure, really. I consider the hangover to be a sort of punishment for enjoying myself, and therefore just suck it up and take it like a man (meaning that I just stay in bed all day). But because I have to actually pull myself together and be presentable to a couple of prospective employers later this afternoon, I'm drinking water like a motherfucker and will probably have a large lunch. Possibly a giant sandwich.

A quick follow-up: I got the job! Imma be holding a sign by the side of the road for ten dollars an hour.

Yeah I had a pretty important meeting this morning which I'd forgotten about until I was well into drinking pretty strongly last night, so I had to deal with the worst sort of hangover when trying to be presentable- the one where you're still drunk when you wake up. I was lucky I didn't throw up or anything- or just really used to being drunk, perhaps- but I had to do the hangover stuff after, and just brush my teeth and deal with the world. Usually I try to nip hangovers and generally shitty post-drunk mornings in the BUTT by eating a big meal and washing it down with a bunch of water or fruit juice before going to sleep, and making sure to sleep for a looong time. A friend of mine swears by taking Alka Seltzer as part of pregaming which I find kind of weird, but I can see how it'd work. He's a champion alkie, too, so I wouldn't discredit his opinion at all.

Menudo is also quite a godsend for feeling any sort of sick, but especially so for drinking. If I can find it, I will also DEFINITELY go somewhere that has ceviche and have that, as the liquid that it's brined in, known as leche de tigre (Tiger's Milk) is an instant hangover cure. It is some strooooong shit though. Basically anything that's really acidic the morning of helps and anything greasy the night before is key. I try to pretty much get all that food in there so when I hit the can the next morning, I essentially shit the drunkedness/hangover out. It's pretty much the same principle as drinking water and pissing it out. Effective.

I had to deal with the worst sort of hangover when trying to be presentable- the one where you're still drunk when you wake up.

Oh man, those are the pits. That slow decline from "still sorta buzzed; feelin okay" to "oh my god i want to die" is like the worst experience in the entire world.

Having never had a hangover, I guess I can only offer my coping method for various incapacitating ailments, which is to drink tons of water, orange juice, black tea, and then eat some bananas. The vitamins and caffeine are apparently enough to get me through the day. If I have a migraine, there is no cure, and it's pretty awful. I don't think I've had one in over a year, though, which is nice.

Oh, I can only recommend throwing up as a way to guard against a hangover beforehand. Never actually had one.

Did that last weekend (not on purpose) at the end of the night and it didn't make a bit of difference.

Has anybody here voluntarily thrown up so that they could continue drinking?

I've never made myself throw up to avoid a hangover, but I can say that the times I've thrown up from drinking the hangover has been mild or non-existent.

Oh, I can only recommend throwing up as a way to guard against a hangover beforehand. Never actually had one.

Did that last weekend (not on purpose) at the end of the night and it didn't make a bit of difference.

Yeah. The few times I've drunk to the point of vomiting I've just felt doubly worse the next day. That "cure" is a crock of shit!

Every time I get a hangover I end up vomiting, so it doesn't matter what I eat in the morning. Usually I try to chug some water, both to try and get the barfing over with early (a full stomach often tends to induce it) and also to thin out the vomit itself and make it less acidic. Usually with some kind of powdery aspirin or something similar to take the edge off the inevitable migraine. As others have mentioned, taking some preventative vitamins and drinking a shitload of water before going to sleep are both very good ideas.