TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

TNA Lockdown 2009

Figured I would throw a thread up seeing as the show is a week away and this forum has been dead for the past week.

I haven't been extremely into TNA lately, so I guess the big news items would be:

Danny Bonaduce vs Eric Young is on for the pre-show.

They may be using a song that is around a decade old as a theme, but card is decent so far, with some solid build-up according to the next batch of spoilers.

Lockdown was probably regarded as one of, if not the best TNA PPV of 2008. Can this year match up?

Card to date, as made available on TNA website, is as follows:

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: MAIN EVENT FOR THE TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Hardcore Legend Mick Foley vs. © "The Icon" Sting

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: THE RETURN OF THE LETHAL LOCKDOWN

Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Booker T, Scott Steiner & Kevin Nash) vs. Team Jarrett (Jeff Jarrett, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe & ???)

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: WORLD TAG TEAM DOMINATION - TITLE VS. TITLE

Team 3D vs. © Beer Money, Inc

X DIVISION XSCAPE MATCH FOR THE X CHAMPIONSHIP

Black Machismo vs. Sheik Abdul Bashir vs. Consequences Creed vs. Kiyoshi vs. © Suicide

TNA KNOCKOUTS WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP

Taylor Wilde vs. Angelina Love vs. © Awesome Kong

QUEEN OF THE CAGE MATCH

ODB vs. Madison Rayne vs. Daffney vs. Sojo Bolt

NEW JAPAN JR. TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

The Latin American Xchange vs. No Limit vs. © The Motor City Machineguns

Actually looking forward to the women's championship match. The whole "serious" beautiful people angle is a nice change of pace.

Even though the Dudleys are as stale can be, the most intriguing match is the tag title match. Really like a serious beer money team.

Can't say I'm too excited about Sting vs Foley given foley's shape/age and sting's last main event ppv performance.

Otherwise solid card.

A little off subject: Can someone answer me this: Didn't Hernandez use his briefcase title shot on an impact soon after winning it against sting and didn't win. If I am rememebering this correctly, why does he still have the briefcase/title shot? Anyways, given that outside of promos, the foley vs. sting match has the potential to just be downright ugly, can see sting retaining and then being challenged by Hernandez at the end of the card and then losing.

Hernandez used it and then lost (as you said) and either Cornette or Mick Foley (TNA has too many authority figures for me to remember) came out and cut a promo and said something about Hernandez putting up a hell of a fight and winning by DQ (or was he pinned?) and so Foley pretty much GAVE him a MITB opportunity anytime this year. So he carries the case around for people to remember that rather then Hernandez coming out and promo every week.

Lockdown looks good. This is the first TNA PPV I have been excited about in a LONG time. TNA has been good for the last couple of weeks and it seems as though TNA post Destination X is a different company. I'm not sure what happened or if someone was fired, but its beautiful now. Everything on the card looks good with the exception of QOTC II. If I was TNA I would throw Bonaduce/Young on the main show, but I am sure it is something contractual that is keeping them from doing it that way.

Foley/Sting is a mixed bag for me. This two can pull out the most surprising performance of this year (EVEN MORE SO THEN STEAMBOAT) or they can totally flop. I have no confidence in their wrestling ability or either man taking bumps, but I do have confidence that these two will tell one hell of a story in the ring and have psychology down to a science. This match isn't going to be about 'cool' moves or highspots. I think this match is going to be storytelling 101 and will be a match people will use as a reference to marks about what 'telling a good story in the ring' means.

X match should be fun as should the IWGP Jr tag match. I wonder how NJPW feels about Hernandez competing for the title? TNA has made Beer Money come off as LEGIT CHAMPIONS. No jokes and the booking of the story has been SOLID. LL is always fun to watch and also announced for the card is Abyss/Morgan in a Doomsday Chamber of Blood match. Which is why I am still wondering why QOTC II is on the card and should be on canceled all together.

I believe what Bonaduce said was Dixie Carter told him she wanted to put him on the pre-show to try and draw people into ordering the Pay-Per-View and he didn't mind because his main goal wasn't to have a big national media thing, he was moreso looking for attention locally in Philly.

Say what you want about what the match quality of Sting/Foley might be but I think the buildup has been great. Foley slowly morphing into the crazy Cactus Jack and his promos have been awesome and Sting's sitdown interview from last week was really good too.

Sorry guys, newb question (cool forum btw): Do the streams on justin.tv of TNA PPV's get shut down like they do for WWE PPV's (might not be the norm for WWE PPV's either, but it was for WM25)?

Yeah, I was lurking a couple weeks ago and some poster mentioned that Royal Rumble was the only one that's been remotely close to WM25 in terms of being stopped on Justin. I'd assume that means it's usually pretty easy to watch WWE's other PPV's. TNA should be fairly easy as well, but thanks for the reply.

I'll be here posting thoughts on and off....

They are doing the preshow live right now, Bonaduce and Eric Young is up, and Danny Bonaduce is cutting a promo before the match talking about having Johnny Fairplays that tooth he knocked out of his mouth, which he has hanging on his necklace. Kind of weird to say the least.

Ugliest rollup for the win EVER. Horrible match, but did anyone expect anything less?

Bonaduce got thrown for a ride by the Gore, though. Ouch!

Now that the car crash is over, some quick predictions, and I will post the lineup in the order that apparently it will happen on the ppv. Supposedly, TNA is going to debut two former world champions on this show tonight and Taz is not there. Hmmm....I'm still thinking RVD will show up (which should be huge if it happens), but not sure of the other.

X division Xscape match - Creed/Lethal/Suicide/Bashir/Kiyoshi

(Pretty sure Suicide will take this one, sounds like Daniels is still wearing the mask here.)

Madison Rayne vs. Sojo Bolt vs. Daffney vs. ODB in a Queen of the Cage match

(ODB will probably win, if I recall correctly this is kind of like a reverse cage match in a way, the first two chicks to actually get IN the cage have a singles match)

Motor City Machine Guns vs. No Limit vs. LAX for the IWGP Jr. Tag Titles

(This should be good, I will go with the Machine Guns retaining)

Abyss vs. Matt Morgan Doomsday Chamber of Blood

(Would imagine the buttons and whistles will be big here, probably some big bump off the cage to end it. Given the build, I'm thinking Morgan wins)

Awesome Kong vs. Angelina Love vs. Taylor Wilde for the Women's Title

(Have a feeling Angelina Love is going to win the title here for some reason)

Beer Money vs. Team 3-D for the TNA and IWGP Tag Titles in a street fight (aka NOT a cage match)

(3-D will probably win, expect big things from this one since its a fight outside the ring and its in Philly)

Lethal Lockdown with Jarrett & AJ & Samoa Joe & Chris Daniels vs. Angle & Nash & Booker T & Scott Steiner

(Going with the Jarrett team winning somehow, looking forward to this one alot)

Sting vs. Cactus Jack for the TNA Title

(Somehow, I'm expecting Sting to retain solely just because I can't see Foley working a regular schedule at all, even if it is just working matches on the TV shows. Haven't been looking forward to a TNA main event like this since Joe/Angle as last years Lockdown, though)

The small package wasn't one of Danny's 3 moves so it wasn't his fault.

Yes and no, just because it wasn't his move, yet he needed to work with Young to make it smooth and he did the farthest thing from that.

To give him credit though, he looked better in there than I expected him too.

Not that it probably means anything, but Nash wasn't shown in camera with the rest of the crew showing up to the arena. I wouldn't be shocked to hear he is still not ready to wrestle though.

Surprising to see they actually got Billy Corgan to cut a promo of sorts (reciting the lyrics to Bullet with Butterfly Wings inside the cage) to open the show. That was a cool touch.

Suicide retained in the X division opener, pretty average match finishing with Suicide doing a dive from the top of the cage to security and Kiyoshi on the floor to win. Some stuff with Suicide/Lethal was good though. Funny to see TNA trying to make it look like Daniels isn't Suicide anymore (even though he clearly still is working under the mask in this match) by immediately cutting to a promo with Daniels and Styles, which I'm sure was taped much earlier in the day. But I'm sure it was no coicidence they laid out the show like that.

Up next is the Queen of the Cage

Yeah it was another very average match, akin to the opener in that nothing really stood out as neither really bad or really good. It was just kind of there.

This tag team tornado match should be pretty solid stuff, I would think. This is kind of unofficially somewhat of an X division tag title match in essense when you think about it. Makes me wonder how long New Japan will let the titles be defended in TNA.

Hell of a tornado match there, lots of good highspots using the cage. Much better of a match overall than the previous two. Hell, even No Limit looked good here. Hernandez continues to look strong as well.

Can they please stop using their blonde interviewer be the concerned girlfriend of Abyss? It comes off just ridiculously bad, in a bad way. They should have her just stick to the interviews and do something with Daffney and Abyss instead.

I honestly thought Sabin was seriously injured after that Cracker Jack into the cage. How long have Abyss and Matt Morgan been feuding? I swear they had that blow off about 3 months ago.

I honestly thought Sabin was seriously injured after that Cracker Jack into the cage. How long have Abyss and Matt Morgan been feuding? I swear they had that blow off about 3 months ago.

Yeah the program has definately run its' course (about 3 months) mostly because they just don't really have good matches together. This was no exception with the Chamber of Blood match, as other than two good bladejobs and a pop for Stevie Richards showing up there, there wasn't anything here that was special or even that good. Pretty sad when a thumbtack bump gets to the point of really not mattering one bit anymore, in reference to the finish of Abyss taking a standard back bump into some tacks in the ring.

I'm thinking we now are going to see an Abyss v. Richards program and Morgan will work against someone else as well, at least I hope.