TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

TNA Lockdown 2009

How does Foley winning the belt help TNA in the long-term...?

And I can see how they surprised people with the Lashley appearance, TNA is too far under the radar for anyone to care.

Highlight of the night, Angelina Love getting KTFO. What better way for a blond to win the title. Part of me was hoping that Kong would just rip her hair out and destroy them both, but oh well.

How does Foley winning the belt help TNA in the long-term...?

And I can see how they surprised people with the Lashley appearance, TNA is too far under the radar for anyone to care.

Highlight of the night, Angelina Love getting KTFO. What better way for a blond to win the title. Part of me was hoping that Kong would just rip her hair out and destroy them both, but oh well.

In the long term, it's been proven that Foley knows how to put over people, so conceivably, he could put over the next guy to get the belt strong, starting it off on a positive note whenever a title switch would occur. Just as an example, lets say they would keep the title on Foley until Joe turns heel and beats Foley for the title. Chances are, given the history of Foley particularly wanting to work with Joe (from back in ROH) Foley would make him look like a million bucks.

I don't know how I feel about Foley as champ, but I can see him putting over a Joe or AJ as absolutely well as he possibly could physically. And the two of them can work a lot better than Sting and Joe's pulled damn good matches out of Steiner so it could work.

And intriguing option someone said to me was Hernandez. Foley gave him back his title shot after the Mafia screwed up, Hernandez stepping up and challenging Foley to give him a fair shot could work. Meanwhile Foley could play it a little heelish as owner and act as if he doesn't HAVE to give him the shot since he's the one who gave him t hat contract in the first place. I don't know. It seems like a logical way to put the belt on Hernandez if TNA wanted to but I'm not sure Foley is the first solo wrestler of note you want Hernandez beating.

Of course I'm more than prepared for Angle to try and take the title back for the Mafia or Jarrett to try and get the belt from Foley to protect his company. Neither of which is a match that needs that title or should have it involved. Part of me is thinking one of those happens (or Sting) at Sacrifice and the title ends up vacant just in time for King of the Mountain.

But that would lower the title. Samoa Joe is the only guy under 40 that has won the title in the last two years.

The idea is that since he's a big name and holds credibility with the masses is why he's champ right now and if he puts someone over strong whoever he jobs out the title to, then in turn they should get a big rub from it. This isn't rocket science, Karc.

While it's true Foley can put someone over without having the title (see the Machine Guns a few weeks ago on Impact, more specifically Foley gave a pretty decent rub to Shelley it seemed like) the idea is that it will mean significantly more if Foley is the top dog at some point and whoever that guy is to take him down will get the biggest rub out of it overall.

Foley is the ultimate rubber. Rock and Orton owe him big time, and a blood fued with Joe featuring some wonderful stiffness would make Joe look like a million bucks. Yeah, Foley himself isn't an ideal champion, but he has the ability to make anyone look like a serious threat, even a guy who's been running around with silly face paint, playing with knives.