TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
YourKock'sReallyGreat

Squash Matches

I am personally quite sick of seeing wrestlers on the main rosters being treated like absolute "Jobbers" to the Khalis, Kane, HHH's of the world. These wrestlers include Santino, Noble, Kendrick, etc. The WWE invests so much time and money into these wrestlers that it just seems silly and counter productive to have them go out there and look like scrubs who lose in 2 minutes. I do not think that they could go out and draw millions for the WWE but I do feel that they can lead to a better overall product.

I understand that the Big Wrestlers have to go over convingly against the smaller wrestlers to make them (Kane, Knox, Khali etc) look intimidating. Wouldn't it make more sense to get an indy wrestler and pay them $200 or so to go out there and lose in 2 minutes. I am not looking for even steven booking were Wrestlers trade victories each week.

I still can't believe the way they treated JBL. A loyal soldier getting humiliated in the industry's biggest event.

1. They were running low on time for the Event.

2. JBL was pretty banged up and injured. I do not think he could have taken too many bumps and I believe it was stated that he was fine with the way things went. He just wanted his last match to be at WrestleMania and in his homestate of Texas.

I am personally quite sick of seeing wrestlers on the main rosters being treated like absolute "Jobbers" to the Khalis, Kane, HHH's of the world. These wrestlers include Santino, Noble, Kendrick, etc. The WWE invests so much time and money into these wrestlers that it just seems silly and counter productive to have them go out there and look like scrubs who lose in 2 minutes. I do not think that they could go out and draw millions for the WWE but I do feel that they can lead to a better overall product.

I understand that the Big Wrestlers have to go over convingly against the smaller wrestlers to make them (Kane, Knox, Khali etc) look intimidating. Wouldn't it make more sense to get an indy wrestler and pay them $200 or so to go out there and lose in 2 minutes. I am not looking for even steven booking were Wrestlers trade victories each week.

If WWE got indy wrestlers all the time to be squashed, a good chunk of the roster would lose pay and also television time. Which would be bad. I'm pretty sure all those wrestlers who are losing in squash matches are quite happy being paid to be squashed and having a short night.

I still can't believe the way they treated JBL. A loyal soldier getting humiliated in the industry's biggest event.

2. JBL was pretty banged up and injured. I do not think he could have taken too many bumps and I believe it was stated that he was fine with the way things went. He just wanted his last match to be at WrestleMania and in his homestate of Texas.

Plus, JBL has stated that Rey is a close friend of his, so I don't think he minded.

The WWE has one problem with squash matches;

The smaller guy never even manages his offense. In a proper squash, the squashee unloads his offense to no avail. Either blocked or not as effective. It gets over the fact that even though guy A is 5 feet taller than guy b, guy b still has credibility for his size. If he uses those moves on smaller people they work, but because guy A is a giant, they don't.

The WWE has trouble making anyone look good through losing. Which is odd because they made Flair look god-like in asking to be super-kicked and yet can't give me one reason to wanna see Kendrick on SD in a loss to Kane.

Plus, JBL has stated that Rey is a close friend of his, so I don't think he minded.

I bet it was even JBL's idea, it makes perfect sense.

Evil heel hypes a big announcement for weeks.

Evil heel talks trash to the ring.

Babyface shuts him up in 23 seconds, making the evil heel look like a fool

Evil heel cowers away into retirement due to shame.

Not everyone deserves a Ric Flair farewell. JBL got to go out at the biggest show of the year putting over his good friend Rey Mysterio huge. I doubt he would have wanted it any other way.

The smaller guy never even manages his offense. In a proper squash, the squashee unloads his offense to no avail. Either blocked or not as effective. It gets over the fact that even though guy A is 5 feet taller than guy b, guy b still has credibility for his size. If he uses those moves on smaller people they work, but because guy A is a giant, they don't.

The WWE has trouble making anyone look good through losing. Which is odd because they made Flair look god-like in asking to be super-kicked and yet can't give me one reason to wanna see Kendrick on SD in a loss to Kane.

There's no such thing as a "proper squash match". A squash match is a just a squash match and that's the bigger guy totally dominating the smaller guy in only a few minutes.

And if a wrestler has trouble looking good while taking a lost, that's not the WWE's fault, that's the wrestler's fault.

They couldn't push it to a 4-5 minute match? 20 seconds is embarassing and someone of the stature of JBL deserved better as a farewell match in his home state. Sure, he didn't revolutionize the industry, but I'm not advocating him retiring with the belt either. A respectful last match would have been appropriate.

They couldn't push it to a 4-5 minute match? 20 seconds is embarassing and someone of the stature of JBL deserved better as a farewell match in his home state. Sure, he didn't revolutionize the industry, but I'm not advocating him retiring with the belt either. A respectful last match would have been appropriate.

Why are you bitching about it? JBL already said himself he was completely happy with the way things went down. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if JBL proposed the idea himself.

There's no such thing as a "proper squash match". A squash match is a just a squash match and that's the bigger guy totally dominating the smaller guy in only a few minutes.

And if a wrestler has trouble looking good while taking a lost, that's not the WWE's fault, that's the wrestler's fault.

So by that logic, Rey vs Big Show, with Rey destroying Big Show with rights and lefts until Big Show pulls a sunset flip out of his ass to beat Rey, that would be a squash match? No.

The goal is always to make both guys look credible, even if one is going to be destroyed. Giving guys 30 seconds and ZERO offense and telling him it's his fault if he doesn't look good is retarded. You have to highlight what difference is creating the squash, this is supposed to be a high level of competition, everyone should be bringing SOMETHING to the table. If a guy can't manage any offense at all people will wonder what the hell there even doing on TV.

WWE should use indy guys for the jobber squash. I agree about TBP not being used anymore.

I remember back on Smackdown in 2003-2004 whenever a new wrestler would debut they would run through the CW wrestlers and the go on to Bob Holly and then Billy Gunn, until finally getting into a real program. A system like this could work in today's WWE, but WWE mainly has ECW to weed out the stinkers and the stars.

So by that logic, Rey vs Big Show, with Rey destroying Big Show with rights and lefts until Big Show pulls a sunset flip out of his ass to beat Rey, that would be a squash match? No.

The goal is always to make both guys look credible, even if one is going to be destroyed. Giving guys 30 seconds and ZERO offense and telling him it's his fault if he doesn't look good is retarded. You have to highlight what difference is creating the squash, this is supposed to be a high level of competition, everyone should be bringing SOMETHING to the table. If a guy can't manage any offense at all people will wonder what the hell there even doing on TV.

Are you fucking retarded? Do you not know how a squash match work? A squash match is only to make the winner look good. That's the entire point of a squash match.

You just tried to take two different arguments and tried to make it into one argument. Why did you just try to do that?

I miss the old school squash matches. They need to book people like Brooklyn Brawler and Barry Horriblewitz again.

So when a big star needs to go over somebody in a 2 minute squash it looks like a squash.

Watching Kendrick and Santino lose on Raw didn't feel like a squash, it just felt like a burial.

do you have any clue what you're talking about? :huh:

Why are you bitching about it? JBL already said himself he was completely happy with the way things went down. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if JBL proposed the idea himself.

"Completely happy"? It's called not burning your bridges in case future project doesn't work out.

"Completely happy"? It's called not burning your bridges in case future project doesn't work out.

I'm sure wrestlers who are getting exposure on tv worldwide and getting paid pretty well so they can live and provide for their family are pretty happy losing a match instead of making a lot less on the indys.

ANYONE BEING PUT ON TV HAS TO COME WITH A REASON FOR BEING THERE. The WWE is supposed to be wrestling's major league, everyone on the roster HAS to be made credible in some aspect to continue that illusion.

What separate's Spanky from my grandma if they would both get beat by Big Show in the same amount of time? Why would I ever wanna watch another Spanky match from there on out when I can expect just as much from watching my grandma wrestling? The squash is irrelevant if the person being squashed brings nothing to the table. It becomes the equivalent of trying to enjoy a man stepping on an ant.

Am I really explaining this right now? It's wrestling 101 and not that hard to wrap your head around. Johan Santana striking out 12 people doesn't mean shit if those 12 people are a little league team from Hackensack, New Jersey. Works the same way in wrestling.

No you're really not making sense by trying to change the argument you're trying to make and you really don't understand wrestling 101.

Oh thanks for that. That was like the greatest explanation ever. Should I try drawing you an actual picture? Would that help at all or just make you more confused?

You said there's no such thing as a proper squash match. I gave you an example of why that's just not true. You've since told me I'm wrong over and over without explaining why. I've never gone back on anything I've said or changed my argument since my first post in the thread. So feel free to try again.

I too miss the old time squash matches and feel that they could still have a place in modern wrestling. Squash matches serve one purpose to me:

To introduce a new wrestler ie his moves and his demeanor, you know really put over being a heel or face and to establish 3-4 big moves that could finish a match

But for big time guys who have already have an established record I think they are a waste of time and unless its to put over how focused wrestler a. is by running thru a legit wrestler on the way to his big title match or something like that.

However to have Kane run thru Kendrick like that on Raw makes Kendrick look bad more than it makes Kane look good