TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
YourKock'sReallyGreat

NBA Offseason chatter

Really boring basketball today for the casual viewer. Hawks win in a blowout and Denver destroys Dallas in another blowout.

2nd Round Matchups

Cavs vs Hawks

Celtics vs Magic

Lakers vs Rockets

Nuggets vs Mavs (1-0 Nuggets so far)

I think too much time off before tonight hurt LA, but that's no excuse. The Lakers just got outplayed on their home floor. I expected this series to go 6, but I wasn't worried that Houston would win until tonight. It's amazing how much better this team is without Tracy McGrady.

I wonder if Karc will come out of the woodwork now. He hasn't so much as logged in since the Lakers eliminated the Jazz.

Even if he came back and predicted a Rockets sweep, which by some miracle actually happened, he would still be forever shamed by his Jazz prediction.

On another note, I'm glad road teams are winning in the first couple of rounds this year. It makes a series so much more interesting. I remember last year it was like pulling teeth trying to get any road teams to win.

The Lakers looked slow with Brooks running all over em in the second half they need to be able to set traps to counter his speed or something cuz I don't think they have anyone on their team that can straight keep up with him after last night.

Also they need to try their best to keep Yao out of the paint and hope Artest doesn't drop double digit points on em

Ofcourse they also had a pretty bad shooting night and over the course of 7 games they should still be able to pull it out. I'd love to see em do it in 5 tho

I hope the Hawks pull one out of their ass tonight too, not likely to happen but it sure would shake things up

Wishful thinking. Cavs take a 1-0 lead.

I wonder what Iverson thinks when he watches the Nuggets destroy the competition without him and with Billups. You know that they would have lost in 5,6 games tops in the first round if they hadn't made that trade. Plus if the Pistons had kept Billups they would have had the 6/7 seed and you would have given them a fighters chance against the Celtics and Magic. You could also make an argument that they would have gone to their 7th straight Eastern Conference Finals.

I'm glad to see Chauncey Billups having success in Denver. I'm not sure the guy's a HOF'er, but he is a winner and a leader, and it's nice that he's finally getting the recognition he deserves as an elite point guard in the NBA.

I hope the Hawks pull one out of their ass tonight too, not likely to happen but it sure would shake things up

Wishful thinking. Cavs take a 1-0 lead.

I wonder what Iverson thinks when he watches the Nuggets destroy the competition without him and with Billups. You know that they would have lost in 5,6 games tops in the first round if they hadn't made that trade. Plus if the Pistons had kept Billups they would have had the 6/7 seed and you would have given them a fighters chance against the Celtics and Magic. You could also make an argument that they would have gone to their 7th straight Eastern Conference Finals.

Oh i knew wouldn't happen just would have cut down on the Lebron maina thats going on in the media especially with the MVP being presentated last night

I think too much time off before tonight hurt LA, but that's no excuse. The Lakers just got outplayed on their home floor. I expected this series to go 6, but I wasn't worried that Houston would win until tonight. It's amazing how much better this team is without Tracy McGrady.

I wonder if Karc will come out of the woodwork now. He hasn't so much as logged in since the Lakers eliminated the Jazz.

Sorry everyone, I've been busy with overtime at work for the last couple of weeks. But the Rockets win was not a normal win. Lakers did not blow a huge lead, since they only had it for 12 seconds in the second half of Game 1. Houston beat them up on the court. They are done. That 65 win record is overrated when 14 of those wins came from the worst division in basketball (Lakers are the only team from the Pacific to make the postseason). Compare their playoff run to Denver (58 point win at New Orleans) and Cleveland (have yet to let a team score more than 84 points), and I do not see them getting out of the West, let alone winning the whole thing.

And the way Houston is playing, I think the Lakers go down in 6. Unlike the Jazz, this team is healthy, but like the Jazz, they not afraid of the Lakers.

Cleveland in 4.

Orlando-Boston, sadly, does not matter.

Denver in 6.

Hahahaha, are you seriously just not going to exist when it's time to own up to not knowing anything about basketball?

You said Jazz would sweep, you couldn't of been more wrong. If you're comparing Houston to the Jazz, only healthier, I guess it's a wrap then. Lakers take the next 4. Health didn't have shit to do with Utah going down in 5, it was the fact that the Lakers are a better team. That one fact you constantly seem to overlook. I almost hope the Rockets pull another one out of their ass just so you hang around and share more lunacy.

Karc, explain the Jazz series. We all know the reason you didn't post here was because you were wrong. You stopped posting when the Lakers won and came back as soon as they lost.

EDIT: Someone posted this at the other board:

Meanwhile, Basketbawful reader Karc is predicting sweet, sweet oblivion for the Lakeshow: "And now the Lakers are officially in trouble. I mean, seriously, the Lakers had more shot attempts (+15), more rebounds (+2 total, +6 offensive), more assists (+1), fewer turnovers (-1), more blocks (+1), more steals (+3). And they still lost. Of course, that usually happens when a physical team psyches you out into fouling more (+12), making your best player take bad shots all night (14-for-31), and making the rest of the team live and die by the three (2-for-18). And this is not like the usual case where LA blows a huge lead. They never led in the second half. Not once. [Editor's note: L.A. actually did briefly take a one-point lead in the fourth.] Credit the Houston defense, or Kobe Bryant blowing a save (he is 'The Closer' after all). I almost want to say Houston will sweep them, because nothing that the Lakers did indicates that they can bounce back from this. And even if they do, Denver and Cleveland are ready to dish out the same, only with a better point guard (Billups) and the MVP of the league (James). Adios, Los Lakers."

Me, personally, I don't think the refs stole the game from the Lakers, nor that L.A. is in serious trouble. Yet. But they do need to amp up their intensity and (single entendre comig) keep it up, or they're going to fall into a pothole on their road to the championship...and break their face.

Go to http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/ and look at the May 4th blog, or type "Karc" after hitting control + F.

Cleveland is just destroying the Hawks tonight. I was hoping for a Heat/Cavs series because I thought it would have been fun to see Wade vs James. The Hawks are just a horrible team that never ever ever wins in the second round.

The Hawks/Cavs series is just an excuse to make comparisons between Lebron and Jordan since the games are so lousy

Ne way pivotal game 3's tonight Lakers look to steal the first game on the Rockets floor like they did in LA its going to be hard though with Fisher being out for the game. Even though he hasn't been scoring much his attitude and playoff experence helps the younger guys at the gaurd spots. If Ron Ron and Yao combine for over 40 I see them winning.

Celtics try to do the same thing the Lakers will be trying to do, in Orlando against Howard and their Magic crew of shooters. If the Magic get hot then they should win this one even with out Rafer however if this young team collapses under the weight of their own minds and/or House goes for 30+ again Orlando will have to fight hard to keep home court advantage

Will also be interesting to see how the refs call these games now than there has been physical altercations going on between the teams, they could very well decide the outcomes of these games depending on how tight they call them.

Mavs with the choke job today. They had a 105-101 lead with 30 seconds to go at home down 2-0 in the series. Carmelo Anthony hit the game winning 3 pointer with 3 seconds to go to make it 106-105. Nuggets are one win away from the first WCF's in 20 years.

Is this the first time in NBA history we've seen a "reverse flop" where a player no-sells contact to make sure the ref doesn't blow the whistle?

And, Antoine Wright... Wrap up, please.

Karc, explain the Jazz series. We all know the reason you didn't post here was because you were wrong. You stopped posting when the Lakers won and came back as soon as they lost.

EDIT: Someone posted this at the other board:

Meanwhile, Basketbawful reader Karc is predicting sweet, sweet oblivion for the Lakeshow: "And now the Lakers are officially in trouble. I mean, seriously, the Lakers had more shot attempts (+15), more rebounds (+2 total, +6 offensive), more assists (+1), fewer turnovers (-1), more blocks (+1), more steals (+3). And they still lost. Of course, that usually happens when a physical team psyches you out into fouling more (+12), making your best player take bad shots all night (14-for-31), and making the rest of the team live and die by the three (2-for-18). And this is not like the usual case where LA blows a huge lead. They never led in the second half. Not once. [Editor's note: L.A. actually did briefly take a one-point lead in the fourth.] Credit the Houston defense, or Kobe Bryant blowing a save (he is 'The Closer' after all). I almost want to say Houston will sweep them, because nothing that the Lakers did indicates that they can bounce back from this. And even if they do, Denver and Cleveland are ready to dish out the same, only with a better point guard (Billups) and the MVP of the league (James). Adios, Los Lakers."

Me, personally, I don't think the refs stole the game from the Lakers, nor that L.A. is in serious trouble. Yet. But they do need to amp up their intensity and (single entendre comig) keep it up, or they're going to fall into a pothole on their road to the championship...and break their face.

Go to http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/ and look at the May 4th blog, or type "Karc" after hitting control + F.

The Jazz were not healthy and did not have their second best scorer. Houston was looking ripe to pull off the series win and the Game 3 win, but Yao got hurt in the second half, it showed quickly and now he's out for the rest of the playoffs. He's their best scorer. It's like the Lakers losing Gasol. They would not have a chance.

Note to the Nuggets: Put extra security around Nene. Me thinks he's next for the Lake Show hit list. Let's see how the Lakers play when they have to face a legit big man (like Orlando, who they cannot beat).

And I was busy with work. I also found a more fun place to talk about basketball than here. One where they do not change usernames for malicious reasons without the user's consent. I honestly figured you would all be happy about it at this point.

If your job is to write excuses for the Lakers winning, I guess that makes sense.

You know Karc, if you were able to actually put forth a thought-out opinion rather than some kobe-bias based lunacy that you can only back up with excuse after excuse, or actually came around after a Laker win and not just only after they lose, we would take you seriously enough to not treat you like a cartoon character. As it stands now you've earned the cartoon character name to go with the cartoon character posts.

If your job is to write excuses for the Lakers winning, I guess that makes sense.

You know Karc, if you were able to actually put forth a thought-out opinion rather than some kobe-bias based lunacy that you can only back up with excuse after excuse, or actually came around after a Laker win and not just only after they lose, we would take you seriously enough to not treat you like a cartoon character. As it stands now you've earned the cartoon character name to go with the cartoon character posts.

Watch Game 4, pretty much sums up everything I've said about the Lakers this year. There is no excuse for that game. This is the eighth time the Lakers played the Rockets this year, and the Rockets were in their most vulnerable state (No Yao, Mutumbo, or T-Mac). Their center is now a 6-6 guy who cannot shoot. If this team was so great, they end the series right there and then. Even if the game was close, it would not have been so bad. But down by 29? 10 threes? 36 first-half points? Fisher and Bryant combine for 17 points? And this is when Artest sucked out loud. Don't really have to put an opinion out there. It was right in front of a national TV audience.

And I've never had a bias against Kobe Byrant, he's a good player. But this team is not as great as everyone thinks. That's all I've been saying. Game 2 of this series was the only game this postseason where I think the Lakers have looked good. They've looked bad in pretty much every other game.

Big Baby's buzzer beater was great, his postgame celebration, not so much.

but Yao got hurt in the second half, it showed quickly and now he's out for the rest of the playoffs. He's their best scorer. It's like the Lakers losing Gasol. They would not have a chance.

Even when you pick the right team you couldn't be more wrong. No Yao means they run better and LA has to pick up the speed. They didn't, they lost. Rockets were 3-2 without him this year and 19-8 without him last year. As much as a presence as Yao can be the rest of that team has no problem adjusting to a quicker game.

You didn't say "the lakers aren't as good as everyone thinks", you were actually trying to say they were gonna get swept by an 8 seed. They didn't, and you were nowhere to be found after every Laker win. No one's buying the story of the one nut job who thinks the Lakers are bad enough to get swept by the Jazz conveniently having to work whenever the Lakers win and not having to work at all when they don't. You're a joke.

Really Orlando? Up by 10 halfway through the fourth, then you don't score a field goal the rest of the game and allow Starbury to beat you while KG is on the bench. You're done.

Sorry everyone, I've been busy with overtime at work for the last couple of weeks. But the Rockets win was not a normal win. Lakers did not blow a huge lead, since they only had it for 12 seconds in the second half of Game 1. Houston beat them up on the court. They are done.

After Houston beats LA.

Then after LA beats Houston...

Houston was looking ripe to pull off the series win and the Game 3 win, but Yao got hurt in the second half, it showed quickly and now he's out for the rest of the playoffs. He's their best scorer. It's like the Lakers losing Gasol. They would not have a chance.

Houston won the next game.

If Karc is saying the Magic are done, I can only assume they take the next two to win the series.