TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zhangmeijie

Punk's booking?

I'd have him announce before hand he's cashing it in, like RVD in 2006 or whenever it was. Judgement Day is being held in Chicago this year, so I'd have him cash it in there against John Cena. Punk can give it his all, almost winning the championship, but Cena can get the win. Afterwards, the two can shake hands and whatnot.

This way, it'll mark the first time the MitB winner has had an unsuccesful cash-in, and we don't have to sit through another disasterous Punk reign.

Or maybe

I'd book Punk to do what he did last time (and everyone else other then RVD has done) and take advantage of a situation where he can take the title, then i'd book him like he actually is the champ rarther then job him out to all the main eventers which no matter if you like Punk or not is not the way you book the main title in your company once its on someone.

If you don't think someone will be a good champ, don't give him the title is the way I look at it. So once Punk has the belt book him and thus the title strong until you put it onto someone else

How would you do it?

If Punk faces Cena in Chicago, the crowd will really turn on Cena, especially if he beats Punk. Chicago is one of those towns where the fans just seem to let Cena have it more so than usual.

If Punk cashes in and doesn't win, he has to turn heel. To really put over the fact that he's the first guy to cash and lose, you've got to have a big follow-up angle. It's the perfect opportunity to turn him too, give him some fresh opposition and storylines.

I'd be interested in CM Punk and MVP going at it. Set up would be easy, Punk could lose and be a guest on the VIP lounge. MVP could give his attitude and then Punk attacks him.

If Kennedy is ever fit enough to wrestle again, he'd be even better for Punk's foil. He'd be the perfect person to mock Punk for losing his title match.

I'd be interested in CM Punk and MVP going at it. Set up would be easy, Punk could lose and be a guest on the VIP lounge. MVP could give his attitude and then Punk attacks him.

If Kennedy is ever fit enough to wrestle again, he'd be even better for Punk's foil. He'd be the perfect person to mock Punk for losing his title match.

An interesting choice considering Kennedy was the first MitB winner to lose the briefcase before even getting a title match.

I think Punk might be cashing in at the PPV on Sunday. What better chance could the guy have? Cena and Edge will be having a Last Man Standing match at Backlash and the winner will likely be all but decimated. If they want to go the usual Pearl Harbor route with MITB, then Punk would cash in and easily win.

I don't see Punk facing Cena otherwise. At some point the rosters will separate again and Cena would be Raw champ. If Edge wins on Sunday, then Punk would challenge him.

The problem with cashing in and losing is that it cheapens the integrity of the MITB match. Money In The Bank has become one of the main attractions of Wrestlemania and people generally wanna see the person who wins it, win a world title. It's similar to when someone wins the Royal Rumble, they're expected to walk into the Wrestlemania main event and walk out a champion. (this year not withstanding but Orton was a heel and fans wanted him to lose anyway). Having Punk lose will just make the briefcase less valuable and people will become less interested in the concept if they carry around this prop for months and don't utilize it.

The solution is to have Punk win it in a way that hasn't been done before. The pre-announcement thing isn't bad and it could work but a fresh idea like having a world title challenger get attacked backstage and not able to compete for the world title that now. When the champion comes out, who is his replacement opponent? Cashing in the briefcase, CM Punk. Have him win it and it sets up a problem with the ex-champ and now with the challenger who never got his shot.

If they were ever to turn somebody heel, or use a heel already, the person could win a tournament to face the Champion, immediately get disqualified by wasting his opponent with a weapon, and THEN cash in the case, moments after losing his title match.

The problem with cashing in and losing is that it cheapens the integrity of the MITB match. Money In The Bank has become one of the main attractions of Wrestlemania and people generally wanna see the person who wins it, win a world title. It's similar to when someone wins the Royal Rumble, they're expected to walk into the Wrestlemania main event and walk out a champion. (this year not withstanding but Orton was a heel and fans wanted him to lose anyway). Having Punk lose will just make the briefcase less valuable and people will become less interested in the concept if they carry around this prop for months and don't utilize it.

The solution is to have Punk win it in a way that hasn't been done before. The pre-announcement thing isn't bad and it could work but a fresh idea like having a world title challenger get attacked backstage and not able to compete for the world title that now. When the champion comes out, who is his replacement opponent? Cashing in the briefcase, CM Punk. Have him win it and it sets up a problem with the ex-champ and now with the challenger who never got his shot.

On paper, this is a good idea, but if you're doing it for a PPV, having the challenger get taken out beforehand makes the viewers seem cheated with a bait and switch.

You could potentially solve this by having a heel challenger get a title shot in a completely undeserving fashion, and pull this, however.

I quite like the idea of Punk losing the MITB shot and turning heel...but I don't have faith in WWE letting him have an interesting heel character. If they let him do his straight edge "I'm better than you" routine and not make him into a typical chickenshit heel it could be really good. But I'd fully expect to see him needing to cheat to beat Super Crazy, or something.

Edit - and I just realised they probably won't do the straight edge heel character because of the new child friendly direction. Be hard to tell the kids to boo this man because he doesn't do drugs! So generic heel Punk it would be.

The problem with turning Punk heel is as someone said above it would be against their child friendly image. While I know its good heel work and most everyone in the building would be booing him saying I don't drink I don't smoke I'm better than you, I just don't see it happening ne time soon. There are too many conservative people out there that would jump all over the WWE for basically promoting a message of this guy is bad because he doesn't do drugs. That gimmick works great at a lower level like an old ECW or ROH because their fans are older and it hits a note with them like maybe that dick head in high school who was straight edge and they hated him. Maybe if another attitude era came around then it could work, maybe

The problem with cashing in and losing is that it cheapens the integrity of the MITB match. Money In The Bank has become one of the main attractions of Wrestlemania and people generally wanna see the person who wins it, win a world title.

You run into problems with it being too predictable if the MITB winner goes on to win his title shot every time. They need someone to lose that match sometime. Then, it doesn't matter if anyone ever loses again, as long as the crowd knows it's not a guaranteed thing so there's some suspense to the proceedings.

Orton was a heel and fans wanted him to lose anyway

Maybe he was theoretically a heel, but the fans sure as hell weren't treating him like such. They popped like crazy whenever he beat up Stephanie, and were booing Hunter when he was winning the match at Wrestlemania.

I'd have him announce before hand he's cashing it in, like RVD in 2006 or whenever it was. Judgement Day is being held in Chicago this year, so I'd have him cash it in there against John Cena. Punk can give it his all, almost winning the championship, but Cena can get the win. Afterwards, the two can shake hands and whatnot.

This way, it'll mark the first time the MitB winner has had an unsuccesful cash-in, and we don't have to sit through another disasterous Punk reign.

Or maybe

I'd book Punk to do what he did last time (and everyone else other then RVD has done) and take advantage of a situation where he can take the title, then i'd book him like he actually is the champ rarther then job him out to all the main eventers which no matter if you like Punk or not is not the way you book the main title in your company once its on someone.

If you don't think someone will be a good champ, don't give him the title is the way I look at it. So once Punk has the belt book him and thus the title strong until you put it onto someone else

How would you do it?

What was wrong with Punks title reign?

Not his fault they booked him to look weak.

Im all for Punk winning the belt against Cena in Chicago as I will most likely be attending.

When Edge first cashed in his MITB, the crowd went nuts. I think his pop winning it was even louder because the crowd didn't know if he'd win it or not. I was watching that PPV live, hating Cena so much, when Edge came and hit the spear and Cena kicked out, I thought Cena was gonna overcome the odds AGAIN.

I think someone has to lose their title match to bring suspense into the moment. As someone has already said, people think it's a done deal that you'll win the title shot if you cash in MITB.

Or maybe

How would you do it?

Not his fault they booked him to look weak.

Im all for Punk winning the belt against Cena in Chicago as I will most likely be attending.

No it wasn't his fault that he was booked to look so weak. You supplied your own answer though he was booked to look so weak. Particually in the half assed way he lost the title.

Other than beating JBL, he couldn't get any credible wins to solidify his position as a main eventer / world champion. That Unforgiven Scramble Match was the best way to give him that big win had he retained, but of course he wasn't even allowed to defend the title.

So far he isn't being booked great this time around either, doesn't give me much faith in this money in the bank run. If he is going to be losing to Kane he had better win the match when he cashes it in or he will look even weaker than last year

There is one thing i've liked about Punks booking recently. When he's gone one on one with Kane, he's conceivably gone toe to toe with him. There aren't many people who go face to face with Kane and get the upper hand, especially smaller guys. But Punk kicks and strikes and looks convincing against him. During the finishing sequence last night, I was watching Punk beat the holy hell out of Kane with strikes and kicks and I thought to myself, if he puts him away right now, he'll look amazing.

By all rights for continuity's sake, he SHOULD challenge Orton, but of course he's going to challenge Edge instead for some bullshit reason.

Other than beating JBL, he couldn't get any credible wins to solidify his position as a main eventer / world champion. That Unforgiven Scramble Match was the best way to give him that big win had he retained, but of course he wasn't even allowed to defend the title.

I enjoyed his match with Batista. It was a good contrast of quick strikes Vs. Slow power....told a nice story