TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

The future of WWE.

Be it somebody on the roster, somebody in FCW, somebody from outside... somebody's going to have to step up their game and break through sooner or later. The main event scene isn't getting any younger, let's face it.

So who do you see having a genuine shot of becoming a main event level talent, or at least in the realms of Jericho and Kane where they can drift in and out as and when. And what about lower down, who's the 'future future'?, the guy who's going to solidify a spot around the secondary titles for the next few years who's currently on the outside looking in?

The 'HHH' (Main eventer for over 15 years, which is how long he'll probably be) will be Randy Orton. It won't be John Cena, because sooner or later, he'll just give it up. There's only so much you can do and spending his whole life being WWE is going to burn him out very quickly.

The 'Future Future' is not going to be a Shelton Benjamin or an MVP. They will be somebody like Ted DiBiase as soon as he breaks away from Rhodes. He has the name, the look and the wrestling ability.

I can see Tyson Kidd having a Brian Pillman level career.

DiBiase seems to be the only for sure on who they're at least going to try and push to that level. Punk might have a chance if the WWE really drives hard at kids in the future, they obviously like the guy a lot and the straight edge thing is a big reason.

In the next 2-4 years don't expect anyone other than Cena/Orton/Batista/Edge and possibly Jericho depending on how long this deal is, to be you're top tier guys. HHH will probably be more in 'legends' type role once his body starts breaking down, Taker will probably be retired, I can't see HBK continuing full time. Maybe Matt Hardy will get a better chance just for being around so long, but I don't see guys like Knox/Kozlov/Swagger getting anywhere higher on the card then where you'd find Kane right now. Interchangeable in main events but not people you want captaining the ship.

To answer my own question, I think it's a case of natural progression nowadays. Like a revolving path. Or that Price Is Right game with the yodelling skiier. The guys at the top will eventually move on to occassional appearances as a legend, Hogan or Austin. Those underneath will move to the top spot of the card, as Edge and Cena and Orton have done. Then those underneath will move up to occupy the spot underneath, like Rey, Jericho, Punk. It's tougher and tougher for anyone to make a sudden rise up the card and sustain it nowadays it seems. Guys like Swagger and Koslov have been put in good spots, but had flaws exposed and been shuffled quickly back down.

So those with tenure are going to move up eventually, the likes of Matt Hardy, Christian, MVP, so long as they can stay healthy and in favour. The future looks good for the second-generation guys too, like Dibiase and Cody, Tyson Kidd. So I could see Hennig and Steamboat as the 'future future' if they progress.

Besides that I think Dolph Ziggler's got something about him. They just need to give him time, work on his look and gimmick. Morrison's got a shot now that he's developed a strong character. He's got all the tools to set himself up for future main event status. Also, Primo. He's got a lot of energy and eventually that's going to work for him away from Carlito, who's been a little too erratic in his career to really trust to be a big name.

It's forever gonna be a question if guys like Morrison/Ziggler/Kidd can get over the size difference. They're relatively small compared to the Taker/Batista/HHH's of the WWE, and those are the people that are gonna have to elevate them. Being able to overcome the size difference is gonna take some really good booking I'm not sure they're capable of. Matt Hardy's been around forever but if he's in a match with Kane he's automatically the underdog. It's not easy to make the smaller guys look like a big enough threat to hang with the larger ME.

John Morrison and Ted DiBiase Jr.

Maybe Tyson Kidd, DH Smith and Cody Rhodes...we'll have to see how their next 2-3 years play out.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying Ted DiBiase Jr. He hasn't shown anything special to me.

He has a solid look, has proved competent on the mic and has the wrestling tools.

I'm willing to give a young guy a chance, but Ted DiBiase Jr is pretty vanilla. He might be able to develop into a good heel, but I can't see him as a face. Plus, he really needs a new finisher.

I still think MVP is one good storyline/push away from taking off.

He has a solid look, has proved competent on the mic and has the wrestling tools.

I'm willing to give a young guy a chance, but Ted DiBiase Jr is pretty vanilla. He might be able to develop into a good heel, but I can't see him as a face. Plus, he really needs a new finisher.

I still think MVP is one good storyline/push away from taking off.

He JUST started using a new finisher not too long ago, dreamstreet... and it's pretty badass IMO. He has the look, he can work well given the opportunity and he can actually work the mic unlike poor Cody..

I just think Teddy has everything he needs to be a big star, plus the the WWE is behind him. He'll get a face turn and push sometime this fall to promote his upcoming movie, so we'll have to see how a face Teddy will work when it happens..

Who's going to fill the 'giant' (Andre, Nash, Undertaker, Big Show) role of the future?

Festus in a repackaged gimmick could be a possibility.

Although, I'd like to see them team Knox and Festus up as a monster-type tag-team.

Jack Swagger, Ted Dibiase, CM Punk are all future main eventers.

Harry Smith will be a top guy eventually, but he's probably farther off, he can work in the ring, but character aspects are really lacking, he also seems too camera aware.

Tyson Kidd has sort of a whiny voice, which as silly as it sounds will probably hold him back from ever being anything other than a mid card act. That and his size.

Kofi Kingston is a one dimensional gimmick right now, but the kid can work. When they finally decide to play down the gimmick and flesh out his character I think he could be an upper card guy. I still think a better character would have been an African Warlord type like Mr. Eko played on Lost.

Morrison is terrible on the live mic. Wwe needs their top guys to be storytellers on the mic.

Developmental talents Justin Angel and Kaval(Low-Ki) have "it" as well but are cruiserweights.

Richie Steamboat has all the tools to be a top guy eventually as well (of course he needs to get signed first).

There really isn't a "Giant"/big man type right now.

Jack Swagger, Ted Dibiase, CM Punk are all future main eventers.

Harry Smith will be a top guy eventually, but he's probably farther off, he can work in the ring, but character aspects are really lacking, he also seems too camera aware.

Tyson Kidd has sort of a whiny voice, which as silly as it sounds will probably hold him back from ever being anything other than a mid card act. That and his size.

Kofi Kingston is a one dimensional gimmick right now, but the kid can work. When they finally decide to play down the gimmick and flesh out his character I think he could be an upper card guy. I still think a better character would have been an African Warlord type like Mr. Eko played on Lost.

Morrison is terrible on the live mic. Wwe needs their top guys to be storytellers on the mic.

Developmental talents Justin Angel and Kaval(Low-Ki) have "it" as well but are cruiserweights.

Richie Steamboat has all the tools to be a top guy eventually as well (of course he needs to get signed first).

There really isn't a "Giant"/big man type right now.

I wouldn't put much stock into Low-Ki. Personally, I don't get the love for him myself. He kicks pretty hard, which is cool, but I don't see that stiff style gaining him many fans among the guys in the WWE. The first time he lays one into Batista or HHH, he's done.

They definitely should pull the trigger on Punk already. I know he's solid on the mic and yet in his entire time in the WWE, I can't remember him talking for more than a few seconds here and there.

My biggest problem is that you always hear the older guys say "These kids need to get themselves over. They can't just wait for creative to help them." That's true, however, if none of them are given any promo time whatsoever, how are they supposed to do that? Kofi, Punk, Bourne, Rhodes, DiBiase, Swagger, Kidd, etc........none of them are given more than a few really short little snippets to speak.

Regarding Low-Ki, he has the the aura about him that I think would fare well in the wwe. Of course he could get buried like Jimmy Wang Yang and jobbed out, but he'd quit long before that. I think his attitude will be his main obstruction in getting over in the wwe.

I think more than anything, a unique moveset/finisher really gets new talent over. Bourne's SSP separated him from the other NTI guys, and Kidd's springboard elbow drop is another "must see" move that gets fans interested. I think Low-Ki's ghetto stomp finisher would be a similar type move.

Justin Angel's 450 splash (much like Bourne's SSP, Angel can hit this move 10 times out of 10 with perfect placement) and jumping springboard moonsault (lionsault though off top rope) would both be moves that would get him instantly noticed as well.