TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

NO BACKLASH DISCUSSION THREAD????

What's the point in having Cena go over at Wrestlemania if they were just gonna give the title back to Edge a month later? These title switches every month are driving me crazy. Did anyone else notice Christian was one of the guys checkin on Cena? And both Cena and Trips taken out on stretchers, nice.

What's the point in having Cena go over at Wrestlemania if they were just gonna give the title back to Edge a month later? These title switches every month are driving me crazy. Did anyone else notice Christian was one of the guys checkin on Cena? And both Cena and Trips taken out on stretchers, nice.

Because it's the biggest show of the year and you have to create the feel good moment. If any show is designed to cater to the ultimate of casual fans, it's Wrestlemania.

Wrestlemania is meant to culminate the year of wrestling, in the WWE's eyes. At WM25 they decided that meant Cena winning the championship and Triple H stopping Orton.

A few weeks has gone by since then- the draft has happened, the champions have changed. It's as if the WWE was in a weird limbo period between WM and Backlash and now they've hit the reset button.

That was a phenomenal main event, it's a shame they just didn't do that match at Mania, as it was easily the best Cena/Edge match I've ever seen, which is saying alot. Lots of the typical buttons and whistles in the match (especially the finish and the FU into the crowd), not that I'm complaining though as it's been missed in big WWE matches as of late on top of the card. One of the better Last Man Standing matches WWE has ever done, if you ask me. Felt like one of those main event title matches you would see on pay per view 10 years ago in the Attitude days, where a bit more creative thought was put into laying out the match. And you would see more big spots.

Interesting night, Orton and Edge get the titles, and Cena and HHH BOTH do stretcher jobs. Can't complain about that! Overall it was a really strong show though, the first two matches were very solid stuff, Kane/Punk wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, Hardy I Quit match was ok (still feel like they are holding off on some finale of sorts with these two) and while most of the six man was boring, the last few minutes of that match really made it. And then of course the main event delivered for sure.

By the way, I swear I thought I saw DDP out there tending to Cena, but that couldn't have been him.

Pretty decent ppv overall, really liked the title changes and it seemed to drive home the point of putting these guys over by the former champ being taken out on a stretcher

Things I liked

Opening match was pretty good, the interaction between Edge and Christian was icing on the cake

The 6 man tag was pretty good and got better after Orton showed up, right guy went over and the crowd seems sick of HHH the super face although i think it has some to do with not generally liking "the family"

Last man standing match was good with some fun spots, the crowd was really into it especially by the end. Big Show ending it was a little disapointing but Cena hardly ever loses clean so it was fine by me, at least now we know why Big Show was booked like a monster knocking out everyone for the past few weeks, gotta build him up for Cena

Things I didn't like

Jericho v Steamboat, match wasn't horrible but it seemed a fore gone conclusion who was winning and even tho Steamboat can still go I don't want to see him any more probably should have ended after the Raw 10 man tag

The Hardys match, it was pretty tame for a I quit match ending seemed anti-climactic

Kane v Punk, better match than these two had been having before but putting Kane over was a weird move. Punk looked strong in the match but weak at the end I hope he isn't booked the same as his last Money in the Bank run

The Santino skit wasn't funny and was a big waste of time, the guy has talent he can be funny but this was not one of those times. Honestly I can't remember the last time the hey I'm an obvious guy in drag act was funny for anyone, although it seems to have more than a few fans here, and to the dude who said that was better than the main at Wrestlemaina I wanna have some of your weed cuz I enjoy pot of that high a quality

Was the Santina segment really that bad?

No

I totally disagree, you would have to be the ultimate WWE apologist to accept that shit as entertaining, much less acceptable for pay per view. It was THAT bad.

I was saying what garbage that Santino/Santina shit was a few weeks ago and there were people on here popping for it , saying its funny entertainment. Santino/Santina makes me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan, and I cringe if anyone sees me watching WWE when something that terrible is on.

I was watching Superstars the other day and all was well with the Rey/Punk vs Kane/Show tag match, but once I saw Hornswoggle and Finaly skipping around, I didnt feel like explaining to my family why there is a Midget/Leprechaun dancing with some old guy. Immediate channel change.

A overall better show that Wrestlemania. Basically take that card, have HBK/Taker main event it, sub in MITB for Kane/Punk and drop the Santino bit that went on forever and that would have made a great Wrestlemania card.

Dragon vs Jericho should have been a singles match at WM, though I wonder if Steamboat even thought he had it in him, let alone the office.

Swagger vs Christian was really good, really basic. They knew their role and it wasn't to try and show up the later matches, just put on a solid match. I love when Swagger incorporates his amateur moves into his matches.

Supposedly a fight in the crowd which saw some sucker fall down a flight of stairs during the Hardy/Hardy match killed the fan interest. There just isn't the feeling of hate between the two. I think it's becaue they took it too far with the house fire, and running off the road garbage. Owen was jealous of Bret - it was simple and believeable and that's al their story needed. That was all this story needed.

Cena simply shouldn't have won at WM - ridiculous decision. The writers are so bankrupt of ideas that they hotshot title changes to make their lackluster feuds seem meaningful. Once again Edge can't win a title without underhandedness/cheating.

Ted Dibiase is going to be a star. And last night was the first time I saw anything in Cody Rhodes. I still believe Harry Smith would be perfect for Legacy.

Two stretcher jobs was overkill as well. I bet HHH isn't out as long as Batista and VKM were from the punt o' doom.

Wow, the only people left on TSM must be those without a sense of humor...

Everyone on Somethingawful and Dvdr who commented on Santino's segment gave it positive feedback.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...p;pagenumber=18

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...p;pagenumber=19

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...p;pagenumber=21

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=48486

I thought it was hysterical. Santino's facial expressions are what made it funny as hell. For anyone else, this storyline would be stupid but he's so charasmatic that he's able to make it it work.

The Santina stuff was amusing at WM but once the whole Khali angle started...enough of it. Ah well, I didn't see this PPV but the reviews I've read thus far seem to say it was a good PPV. Putting the belt back on Edge makes total sense due to SD needing a title, and it also transitions nicely into a Show/Cena feud.

As far as the 6 man...ugh. Putting the title on Orton in a 6 man tag? I thought they might do it given the absurd stips in Orton's favor, but I'm a little surprised HHH did a stretcher job here.

don't get me wrong Santino is funny, he does a lot of little things right for comedy but the idea of a dude in a dress being forced to kiss a very large man and then getting out of it and running away with his tits out isn't that funny to me. Some might find it funny but it came off as a bad SNL sketch to me and just about as funny as SNL these days too. Hell some dude named army said it was better than the main at Wrestlemaina whats up with that?

This.

I think Santino is still funny, he just isn't hitting the heights he did a year ago.

The look on JR's face was hilarious, though. You just knew he wasn't aware it was coming.

The lack of reaction for Ricky Steamboat should make WWE never run Providence, RI ever again. This was the same crowd that sat on their fucking thumbs for the Raw 15 show in December 2007.

Providence, RI is the worst wrestling town ever. Fans show up and just sit there.

Everyone on Somethingawful and Dvdr who commented on Santino's segment gave it positive feedback.

I thought it was hysterical. Santino's facial expressions are what made it funny as hell. For anyone else, this storyline would be stupid but he's so charasmatic that he's able to make it it work.

From what I've seen for responses, it's one of those segments that you either loved or hated, with very little middle ground. Personally, the "humor" felt extremely forced to me, the crowd wasn't hardly responding to anything (except the Jim Ross thing) and it just dragged on. I guess I just don't get the humor in the whole drag queen bit or something, and Khali's knack at making almost any segment he is in become overtly lame keeps on keeping on. Do I even need to comment on how bad Beth Phoenix was in that segment too? Not that she had much to work with, of course. Like I said before, it resembled that god awful ODB Dating Game segment they did on a TNA ppv not too long ago. In both of these cases, when there is even a possibility that a segment is going to be trainwreck bad, such as I felt this was, I think these things shouldn't be put on pay per view, and I still stick to my guns that any excuse that it was ok that it was on pay per view is ridiculous.

Once again Edge can't win a title without underhandedness/cheating.

Edge will be recognized as one of the greatest heels ever because of the underhandedness and cheating. It's goes with his ultimate opportunists character. It works and he shouldn't be winning clean.

I would love to see Edge pass Triple H.

Also, Meltzer's reporting Matt Hardy broke his hand last night during the table spot and he will be out 4 to 6 weeks.

No offense, but SA and all of it's "goons" are a bunch of fucking retards.

I was very pleased with Backlash this year. Aside from the Khali bullshit, I enjoyed every match on the card (When's the last time a 2nd rate PPV has been good from top to bottom? or heels winning both main events / title matches?) To me this show was one big apology from WWE for that shitty Wrestlemania so I'm definitely picking this up on DVD next month.

Of course, I would've liked Steamboat to win and Batista to turn on Triple H (I loved how they were teasing it with Orton's interview), but you can't always get what you want.

Kane beating Punk is ridiculous. Punk doesn't have any real juice to give anyways, and Kane is a played out bore who will never be accepted as even an upper card threat anymore.

Let's bury the MITB guy!!

The only logical reasoning I could see for Punk's loss is that IF Punk wins the World Heavyweight Title from Edge next month, Kane can be a potential PPV main event opponent afterwards since the feud can start with Kane challenging Punk since he can say "I beat you before and I can beat you again for the title!"

I just haven't recalled such a piss poor segment on WWE pay per view in years.

Redneck Triatholon

They ruined a great match with that finish

No, ruining it would have had Cena beating Edge again. Cena rarely loses clean, you should know better.

What's the point in having Cena go over at Wrestlemania

You answered your own question.

That was a phenomenal main event, it's a shame they just didn't do that match at Mania, as it was easily the best Cena/Edge match I've ever seen, which is saying alot

It was a good match, but I prefer their TLC bout.

The lack of reaction for Ricky Steamboat should make WWE never run Providence, RI ever again. This was the same crowd that sat on their fucking thumbs for the Raw 15 show in December 2007.

Providence, RI is the worst wrestling town ever. Fans show up and just sit there.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was there last night and the crowd was pretty hot most of the night.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was there last night and the crowd was pretty hot most of the night.

Crowd was fucking dead compared to the reaction Houston gave Steamboat on the Raw after WM. Even Jim Ross mentioned something on his blog about how quiet you assholes always are.

Crowd was fucking dead compared to the reaction Houston gave Steamboat on the Raw after WM. Even Jim Ross mentioned something on his blog about how quiet you assholes always are.

There was a lot of younger kids than previous shows that I've been too, a lot of those younger kids weren't even born during Steamboat's last match in the 90s.

Oh well, I was there and was one of the many who gave Steamboat a standing ovation during the match. And I thought they were pretty loud, guess it doesn't show that way during the PPV.

And remember Houston had 70,000+ while Providence only holds around 13,000.