TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nitro 24/7

WWE General Discussion - May 2009

Michaels is supposed to be out to heal up some nagging injuries until they start building towards Summerslam. I haven't read anything about Undertaker getting knee surgery yet. Can't believe WWE didn't have their big man flavor of the month attack him and beat him "like we've never, and I mean NEVER seen Undertaker get beaten before", to write him out while he gets his knees worked on.

didn't realize I posted in aprils thread last night...

dreamer as ECW GM could be good, much better than Tiffany, she's awful when talking and way too camera conscious

There is already talk within WWE of replacing Tiffany as the General Manager of ECW in the near future, reports The Sun. A lot will hinge on what Tommy Dreamer decides to do.

His contract is legitimately expiring soon and there is talk of making him the General Manager of ECW should he decide to re-sign with the company.

Internally, the feeling is that Tiffany isn't projecting well enough in her role and that she has poor delivery on the mic.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/2198.html

sources: www.f4wonline.com, The Sun

-- Undertaker is suffering from both knee and hip problems and wasn't brought to last week's SmackDown/ECW duel taping as a result. At the show, there was talk he would be undergoing minor surgery on his knee, but nobody seemed to know for sure. There was also a feeling that his knee could have more serious damage when opened up.

The long-term uncertainty on both Undertaker and Jeff Hardy is one of the reasons company officials sped up the planned John Morrison babyface turn and made sure that CM Punk would be perceived as a top star on the brand from the onset.

:(

Has anyone noticed how jaded JR has gotten over the years? His blogs have gone from being witty and insightful to pretty much just defending the company's actions against common internet criticism

We get tons of emails about tag team wrestling in today's TV wrestling marketplace. Bottom line is this.....great tag team wrestling has its place in the business w/o question and I am a long time fan of some of the greatest tag teams ever in wrestling. Back in the day, no one wanted to follow a Midnight Express vs. Rock 'n Roll Express bout on any card if they didn't have to. However, teams like that don't exist any longer. Period. Bottom line. End off story. If teams can come together organically and develop natural rivalries with other quality teams, then I say go for it. However, to simply throw teams together, as some fans suggest, for the sake of having a tag bout on TV makes little sense to me. Over the years, with some exceptions, the big money in wrestling has always been in one on one bouts and that fact hasn't changed today in my view. With the overall lack of quality, main event level depth within the business today, I do not see red hot, tag team wrestling returning any time soon to the scene especially if fans are looking for several, established teams to dot the landscape.

Great tag teams don't exist anymore in WWE because none are given a damn chance. It makes more fiscal sense to be paying 2 guys for a match instead of 4 and that's what it REALLY comes down to IMO.

sources: www.f4wonline.com, The Sun

-- Undertaker is suffering from both knee and hip problems and wasn't brought to last week's SmackDown/ECW duel taping as a result. At the show, there was talk he would be undergoing minor surgery on his knee, but nobody seemed to know for sure. There was also a feeling that his knee could have more serious damage when opened up.

The long-term uncertainty on both Undertaker and Jeff Hardy is one of the reasons company officials sped up the planned John Morrison babyface turn and made sure that CM Punk would be perceived as a top star on the brand from the onset.

:(

Silver linings.

What's the point of having tag titles with three teams total across all brands? Tag Teams are a great way to break in young talent and to try and refresh played out singles talent.

Would Bret Hart have made it without The Hart Foundation? HBK without The Rockers? Matt and Jeff without The Hardy Boyz? Was Morrison ready for a singles push two years ago? Would JBL ever got his chance if he was released before the aPa took off? Would there be a HHH without DX? Edge didn't really catch on until he was joined by Christian.

Wwe expects talent to be finished product main eventers when they debut these days. They cry about not having any main eventers stepping up from the mid card, but how many guys stagnated on the midcard because they were not ready?

You're talling me top developmentals wouldn't be better off teaming with a wily vet in a robust tag division?

Finlay with Seamus O' Shaunessey

Regal with Lawrence Knight

Chavo Guerrero with Eric Escobar

Kept Kendrick and Jackson together

Kane and Knox

R-Truth and Mistah Tarver

What's the point of having tag titles with three teams total across all brands? Tag Teams are a great way to break in young talent and to try and refresh played out singles talent.

Would Bret Hart have made it without The Hart Foundation? HBK without The Rockers? Matt and Jeff without The Hardy Boyz? Was Morrison ready for a singles push two years ago? Would JBL ever got his chance if he was released before the aPa took off? Would there be a HHH without DX? Edge didn't really catch on until he was joined by Christian.

Wwe expects talent to be finished product main eventers when they debut these days. They cry about not having any main eventers stepping up from the mid card, but how many guys stagnated on the midcard because they were not ready?

You're talling me top developmentals wouldn't be better off teaming with a wily vet in a robust tag division?

Finlay with Seamus O' Shaunessey

Regal with Lawrence Knight

Chavo Guerrero with Eric Escobar

Kept Kendrick and Jackson together

Kane and Knox

R-Truth and Mistah Tarver

I agree 110%

It's really unfortunate, because the WWE DOES have talent that could be used in the tag team division...

Priceless and the Colons NEED TO start a program soon because Teddy's face turn/push that is most likely coming this fall is fastly approaching and the company seems reluctant to push Cryme Tyme at all but for some reason they think we're more interested in seeing 10 minutes of cross dressing Santino and the token terrible divas match every week than quality tag team wrestling. The Lance Storm rant posted the other day is 110% correct about the current misuse of talent in today's enviroment.

^I'd have Rhodes/Dibiase feud with the Colons and win the titles. I'd also have Harry Smith debut with Tyson and Nattie in ECW. Eventually Dibaise/Rhodes would feud with Kidd/Smith leading up to a big blow off at Summer Slam. Kidd/Smith win the titles with Teddy eating the pin. The next night on Raw Orton, Rhodes and Dibiase open the show where Orton calls out Tyson and Harry and says he was going to demand a rematch, but figured why bother with that when Harry/Tyson and Nattie were legacies as well - and with that all five jump Ted Dibiase.

Dibiase is jumped out and is now a face, and The Legacy lives on with Orton, Rhodes, Smith, Kidd and Nattie. If Dibiase is going to leave Legacy this fall, it would kill the faction otherwise as there isn't any current second generation developmentals near ready for prime time.

Thats not bad fantasy booking BonesJones probably makes too much sense for the writers

And to answer the subtitle question I hope he punts at least 3 heads

Yea but wasn't that the criticism when Orton was kicked out of Evolution? That he was a face only cuz his buddies beat him up? Then again those kind of Face turns always happen. Just pointing out the connection to Orton. However I do like that fantasy booking there.

Bob Holly said recently in an shoot interview Mr. Kennedy was the one who accused him of stealing pain pills from his bag and threaten he'll kick Kennedy's ass if he ever sees him again.

Getting Holly fired is the highlight of Kennedy's career.

Stephanie McMahon held a meeting with the wrestlers at the last TV tapings and said that the company is looking to develop new stars. She said that there will be no holdbacks and for everyone to work as hard they can to achieve success. Wrestlers were also encouraged to come up with ideas for their characters and storylines. This is a major change for midcard talent, as in the past if you were not a top star then suggestions were not taken seriously. Some are skeptical on if this will lead to major creative changes for the company in the future, as most talent feel the only way to get over is during their promos, as majority of the crowd are not focused on their superb in-ring work.

Credit: WON

Stephanie McMahon held a meeting with the wrestlers at the last TV tapings and said that the company is looking to develop new stars. She said that there will be no holdbacks and for everyone to work as hard they can to achieve success. Wrestlers were also encouraged to come up with ideas for their characters and storylines. This is a major change for midcard talent, as in the past if you were not a top star then suggestions were not taken seriously. Some are skeptical on if this will lead to major creative changes for the company in the future, as most talent feel the only way to get over is during their promos, as majority of the crowd are not focused on their superb in-ring work.

Wrestler #1: "Stephanie, I have an idea. What if you refrain from having certain talent, who you have earmarked for stardom, look absolutely helpless against your brother, especially in 3 on 1 situations? That would be a start."

Stephanie: "Please see me in my office after this meeting."

Jericho asked for/pushed for a program with Mysterio, and much like the HBK/Jericho feud both wrestlers are going to have a lot of storyline input. I wasn't looking forward to a Jericho/Mysterio program and would have much rather had Jericho "make" Morrison, but I dug the HBK/Jericho storyline, so I'll give Jericho/Rey a shot. Supposedly it's going to be based in part around Mysterio's mask - will we get a mask vs hair match as the blow off?

I have been dying for a Jericho/Mysterio program since Rey came to WWE. I love Morrison, but he could sue some building up as a babyface before jumping into a feud with one of the top heels in the company.

Jericho / Rey would be MUCH better than Jericho / Morrison...

Plus, Morrison is still getting heel heat from crowds, they need to work on that before throwing him in some hodge podge thrown together at the last minute program with the company's best Heel.

If the wwe wants to mint Morrison a face, he needs a strong heel to play off of. I don't think Benjamin is going to cut it. The matches will be very solid, but both are lacking on the mic that they can't get themselves over.

If the wwe wants to mint Morrison a face, he needs a strong heel to play off of. I don't think Benjamin is going to cut it. The matches will be very solid, but both are lacking on the mic that they can't get themselves over.

He needs to establish himself as a face enough to kill the heel heat before being thrown into a program with the company's top heel. It's wrestling 101 man.

This isn't a joke, is it? April 1st passed a month ago...

Otherwise, this is great news for the talent.

Since piledrivers have been missing for so long in the traditional sense like Jerry Lawler style if they were allowed to be brough back by someone would they be accepted as a legit finisher? Or would it go the way of the DDT?

With the progression the business has seen in the last 15 years or so and thanks to all the spot monkeys who have came and gone, the spike style piledriver will never be considered a finisher by most again, just like the DDT.

The real question is, who will revive the dreaded heart punch!?

The pile-driver is and forever will be one of if not the most recognized pro wrestling move out there. It's one move the WWE crowd will always buy, and someone could desperately use it.

In a universe where people can't kick out of two knees to the back I can't buy the argument that the piledriver wouldn't get over. It's the most time-tested move in wrestling, and the fans would eat it up a thousand times faster than they would eat up spinning neck breaker variation #53973493.