TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nitro 24/7

WWE General Discussion - May 2009

The piledriver isn't allowed in the WWE anymore due to the risk of neck injuries (See the inverted sit-out piledriver Owen gave Austin amongst other examples). The Tombstone was about the only version of the move that was allowed to remain.

Actually, any move that is basically skull/head first to the mat in a compressing fashion is outlawed. You don't see any brainbusters anymore, either.

The only thing though was how many wrestlers were getting injured back in the day? I do not recall anyone getting seriously injured from a pile driver. I am sure there was a case here and there. I think one of the reasons it has been outlawed is because a good majority of the wrestlers had become Body Builders turned wrestlers and not just wrestlers.

Mainly it was just Austin that got hurt due to the Owen piledriver. That was a crazy sit down Tombstone type move though, not a solid and protected UT variety.

The stuff that really sucks for wrestlers are moves like German suplexes. In Foley's book he even mentions that he didn't care about taking a bump, but didn't like someone giving him a bump that resulted in him hitting his neck and head hard on the mat.

If they brought the piledriver back, I'd like to see someone use Jerry Lynn's cradle piledriver. It gave the impression that the cradling motion added extra force to the move.

Honestly I hate how they ban moves. They should just ban dangerous workers. I remember Lance Storm said something along the lines of that he’d rather take 1000 tombstone piledrivers from Finlay than one snapmare from a shitty worker.

And the Owen/Austin botch was a mix-up. Austin was expecting a tombstone type with Owen dropping to his knees and Owen did the BUTT first variety. Basically when the spot was discussed prior Austin asked what style Owen woudl use and Owen said "to his BUTT", and Austin said he was more comfortable with the knees variety and both thought it was settled with "their" style to be used. So Austin situated himself for a tombstone and Owen dropped to his BUTT - and we all saw what happened.

Sheamus O'Shaunessy is already working Raw house shows...I'm really hoping he gets called up to ECW and does something with Finlay

I think he should be Hornswoggle after drinking some sort of potion. Horny drinks a vial of something, starts getting a nervous tick and then dives under the ring. A few seconds later SOS comes out wearing remnants of whatever Hornswoggle was wearing.

No not really.

Stephanie McMahon held a meeting with the wrestlers at the last TV tapings and said that the company is looking to develop new stars. She said that there will be no holdbacks and for everyone to work as hard they can to achieve success. Wrestlers were also encouraged to come up with ideas for their characters and storylines. This is a major change for midcard talent, as in the past if you were not a top star then suggestions were not taken seriously. Some are skeptical on if this will lead to major creative changes for the company in the future, as most talent feel the only way to get over is during their promos, as majority of the crowd are not focused on their superb in-ring work.

Credit: WON

So when Creative has nothing creative to offer, the wrestler can still get blamed. Neat little trick Stephanie.

I'm half-expecting Sheamus to debut on Smackdown. Aren't they going to need some reason to write-off Undertaker so that he can go get his supposed double-knee surgery? Well, Sheamus is 6'5 and in the upper 200's in weight. Why not have him debut and "BEAT UNDERTAKER LIKE HE'S NEVER BEEN BEATEN BEFORE"? It would instantly establish him as someone special. Though, one has to wonder. When are even the casual fans going to stop buying "new guy debuts, beats up 'Taker, then eventually loses to him"?

Maybe they already wrote Taker off for a while after Big Show layed him out with the KO punch.

I dont see what the big deal about Sheamus is. The dude is Milk Bottle white and his wrestling skills are just a tad better then Mongo. I see Sheamus getting the Mordecai treatment. Few weeks of vignettes to build him up, debuts on TV, stays for a few weeks, stinks up the joint, sent back to FCW and eventually released. I could be wrong of course, but I just dont see the "it" factor for him to stay with WWE. I can see him being gimmicked in Orlando though. Russo would love to make him some monster and have him feud with Abyss Im sure.

Joe Henning looks good though. Nice ring skills and a good look. 3rd gen too, maybe Legacy?

Benoit's doctor get's 10 years -

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4161279

NEWNAN, Ga. -- The personal doctor to a professional wrestler who killed himself, his wife and their 7-year-old son was sentenced to 10 years in prison for illegally distributing prescription drugs to patients.

Dr. Phil Astin, 54, was sentenced Tuesday after pleading guilty Jan. 29 to 175 counts that including illegally distributing prescription drugs.

World Wrestling Entertainment's Chris Benoit killed his family and then himself in 2007 in their suburban Atlanta home. A medical examiner couldn't say whether the steroids Astin prescribed for Benoit played a role in the deaths.

U.S. District Judge Jack Camp said there was no doubt the 54-year-old Astin tried to help hundreds of patients at his western Georgia clinic. But the judge said he could not overlook the fact that two patients died as a result of Astin's misconduct.

Astin pleaded guilty in January to a 175-count federal indictment. He also admitted that prescriptions he issued resulted in the overdose death of a female patient in 2007.

Maybe they already wrote Taker off for a while after Big Show layed him out with the KO punch.

I dont see what the big deal about Sheamus is. The dude is Milk Bottle white and his wrestling skills are just a tad better then Mongo. I see Sheamus getting the Mordecai treatment. Few weeks of vignettes to build him up, debuts on TV, stays for a few weeks, stinks up the joint, sent back to FCW and eventually released. I could be wrong of course, but I just dont see the "it" factor for him to stay with WWE. I can see him being gimmicked in Orlando though. Russo would love to make him some monster and have him feud with Abyss Im sure.

Joe Henning looks good though. Nice ring skills and a good look. 3rd gen too, maybe Legacy?

SOS can actually work well enough, and he fits their big athletic guy mold perfectly. Watch his most recent FCW championship match w/ Joe Henning on youtube, it's actually decent.

Joe's main problem is his look IMO, he needs to just pull an Austin and start shaving his head before the male pattern baldness gets out of control.

-Rey Mysterio was injured on Tuesday night during his match with Shelton Benjamin. Jim Ross wrote about the situation in his latest JRsBarBQ.com blog, "Rey Mysterio got banged up by a very physical Shelton Benjamin in a match that will air Thursday night," Ross said on JRsBarBQ.com. "Benjamin's aggression banged up the IC Champion to the level that Rey was unable to make much of an impact on Friday Night Smackdown but somehow the incredible Mysterio does manage to put his unique stamp on Friday night's show." Ross added that Rey's Intercontinental title defense against Chris Jericho this Sunday at Judgment day is "definitely still on" and he expects that "it will likely be a viable candidate for match of the PPV."

Gotta love ole JR when he decides to take aim and fire at someone, he usually does so in such an eloquent manner

-Jim Ross also had some choice words in his blog for Linda Bollea, estranged wife of WWE Hall of Famer Hulk Hogan. "Is any one else getting really tired of the drama that Hulk' s apparent, soon to be ex-wife continues to create? Divorces are generally not a cool thing with which to deal, I know as I am a veteran of such domestic skirmishes, but this one has taken on a life of its own and the lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank. Linda Hogan hiring TWO body guards to "protect" her from Hulk is damn near laughable and it would be if it weren't so pathetic."

I wonder if Hogan is paying for Lindas bodyguards?

Of course he is. He is also paying for her 21 year old BF's college tuition as well. Now we all know why Hogan screwed over everyone and whored himself out for a buck. Linda spends money like it grows on trees.

To follow up on earlier reports, the feeling is that when Vince McMahon stated at the WWE shareholders conference on May 1 that WWE was interested in adding another weekly TV show on Wednesday is that he was more posturing if anything reports The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. WWE's production crew has been described as being stretched to the limit at this point with taping TV for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The feeling is that while it would be difficult to add another hour of tapings during the week, it wouldn't be impossible. The other thought is that they could simply consider doing a classics show or highlight show. However, nothing has been announced and it should be noted that there haven't been any negotiations to add a new show at this time.

http://nodq.com/wwe/244274945.shtml

Good look if he's going to be brought in as Festus' brother.

LOL, thats true actually.

I guess anyone with a tan looks good standing next to the milk bottle that is Sheanus O Shaughnessy.

He is 3rd gen though, which is cool. Might make a nice addition to Legacy if he progresses.

I wonder why he is balding so bad. Curt had such nice hair.

In case anyone cares, WWE creative is at it again. According to Rajah, Sheamus was given the ultra-generic ring name of "Davis" at a houseshow last night.

oh what the fuck?!

WWE has reportedly re-named the Great American Bash pay-per-view. It is now simply being called The Bash.

A reader sent word that Comcast employees were notified on Friday via e-mail to update their marketing material for the pay-per-view.

The Bash takes place on June 28th at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.

The Bash sounds ridiculous

oh what the fuck?!

WWE has reportedly re-named the Great American Bash pay-per-view. It is now simply being called The Bash.

A reader sent word that Comcast employees were notified on Friday via e-mail to update their marketing material for the pay-per-view.

The Bash takes place on June 28th at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.

The Bash sounds ridiculous

Agreed... although I was shocked they kept a WCW branded PPV name around for as long as they did.

With the WWE going for a global market, as bad as it sounds, the name "The Great American Bash" would be counterproductive.