TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nitro 24/7

WWE General Discussion - May 2009

oh what the fuck?!

WWE has reportedly re-named the Great American Bash pay-per-view. It is now simply being called The Bash.

A reader sent word that Comcast employees were notified on Friday via e-mail to update their marketing material for the pay-per-view.

The Bash takes place on June 28th at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.

The Bash sounds ridiculous

Agreed... although I was shocked they kept a WCW branded PPV name around for as long as they did.

With the WWE going for a global market, as bad as it sounds, the name "The Great American Bash" would be counterproductive.

Even Vince has said it himself in the past... 'The Great American Bash' was just a fantastic sounding name for a PPV that happened right around the 4th of July. Dusty Rhodes sure could come up with some catchy names for events...

I honestly wished they would have adopted the Starrcade and Fall Brawl names alongside GAB

oh what the fuck?!

WWE has reportedly re-named the Great American Bash pay-per-view. It is now simply being called The Bash.

A reader sent word that Comcast employees were notified on Friday via e-mail to update their marketing material for the pay-per-view.

The Bash takes place on June 28th at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.

The Bash sounds ridiculous

Agreed... although I was shocked they kept a WCW branded PPV name around for as long as they did.

With the WWE going for a global market, as bad as it sounds, the name "The Great American Bash" would be counterproductive.

Even Vince has said it himself in the past... 'The Great American Bash' was just a fantastic sounding name for a PPV that happened right around the 4th of July. Dusty Rhodes sure could come up with some catchy names for events...

I honestly wished they would have adopted the Starrcade and Fall Brawl names alongside GAB

Yeah... a while back ago, I remember there was a rumor they were going to use Halloween Havoc, but nothing ever came of it.

Two pretty interesting news bits today worth posting....

*Also lots of problems with next Monday's Raw. The event was scheduled for the Pepsi Center in Denver, but the Denver Nuggets, the arena's prime tenant, were scheduled for a home playoff game that night with the Los Angeles Lakers. Raw is going to have to be moved. The secondary Denver Coliseum is a problem because it is believed the advance is more tickets than the Coliseum would hold for a taping. Plus, the whole conversion of tickets is a disaster. As of the last word, no decision has been made and no refunds are being offered. Ticketmaster acknowledged the situation noting the arena and WWE are working together to come up with a solution but the Nuggets are playing Monday night at the arena.

*WWE sent out a survey as they are planning a PPV where all the main event matches on the show will be submission matches. The four ideas for titles they are polling are WWE Submission Sunday, WWE Submit & Quit, WWE Breaking Point and WWE Total Submission.

---One would think that WWE will just move Raw to another location close to Denver (such as Colorado Springs, etc) but that's quite a strange situation there.

---Not sure how well recieved a submissions only ppv would fly. They should try it on a weekly show for one week instead, preferably Smackdown.

*Also lots of problems with next Monday's Raw. The event was scheduled for the Pepsi Center in Denver, but the Denver Nuggets, the arena's prime tenant, were scheduled for a home playoff game that night with the Los Angeles Lakers. Raw is going to have to be moved. The secondary Denver Coliseum is a problem because it is believed the advance is more tickets than the Coliseum would hold for a taping. Plus, the whole conversion of tickets is a disaster. As of the last word, no decision has been made and no refunds are being offered. Ticketmaster acknowledged the situation noting the arena and WWE are working together to come up with a solution but the Nuggets are playing Monday night at the arena.

*WWE sent out a survey as they are planning a PPV where all the main event matches on the show will be submission matches. The four ideas for titles they are polling are WWE Submission Sunday, WWE Submit & Quit, WWE Breaking Point and WWE Total Submission.

---One would think that WWE will just move Raw to another location close to Denver (such as Colorado Springs, etc) but that's quite a strange situation there.

---Not sure how well recieved a submissions only ppv would fly. They should try it on a weekly show for one week instead, preferably Smackdown.

As for the Raw issue, I wonder if they'd cancel the Raw house show that Sunday and tape Raw that night instead?

As for the submission PPV, the only name that sounds remotely decent is Breaking Point (But that sounds too much like a TNA PPV name).

WWE management is definitely high on John Morrison and have plans for him in the future. In the opening montage, they replaced JBL as champ with Morrison posing (the irony, lol.)

!#^&@$%&@$^&@$ I bought tickets months ago for Nigh of Champions in Sacramento and now I find out it is going to be The Bash, with NOC moved to July.

Damn that sucks. I'm not expecting the card to be anything great, but hopefully you get a good (double) main event.

As for the Raw issue, I wonder if they'd cancel the Raw house show that Sunday and tape Raw that night instead?

As for the submission PPV, the only name that sounds remotely decent is Breaking Point (But that sounds too much like a TNA PPV name).

It'd be cool if they moved to the smaller building and promoted an old school night where none of the arena is marked off for the Raw set and wrestlers came out from behind a curtain and made their way through the crowd to get to the ring. It would solve the seating issue and I'd be interested in seeing it.

Ha. When Vince did his live bit on ESPNews at 11:30, he accidentally said "World Wrestling Federation".

The Sportscenter bit was great. For all the awful things that Vince does, he still is amazingly entertaining at times. I suspect Vince doesn't want this resolved immediately as this is probably the best publicity he's gotten in the last few years that doesn't involve steroids or the death of a wrestler.

Here's the direct link to the Sportscenter interview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...categoryid=null

The Sportscenter bit was great. For all the awful things that Vince does, he still is amazingly entertaining at times. I suspect Vince doesn't want this resolved immediately as this is probably the best publicity he's gotten in the last few years that doesn't involve steroids or the death of a wrestler.

Here's the direct link to the Sportscenter interview:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...categoryid=null

Agreed. The worst thing the Nuggets owner did was let this go public and into the media. McMahon is having a field day with it, and the Lakers jersey was an awesome touch.

Vince has moved the event to the Staples Center. What I find strange is ESPN is egging Vince on, when basketball and RAW will be competing for viewers. Why let Vince promote his product?

I imagine RAW will have alot of Nuggets bashing. Should be fun to watch.

Staples Center = Vince wants more free publicity. Heading to the Lakers home arena is supposed to be some sort of message I guess.

I wonder if we'll see any Denver Nugget inspired shenanigans on Raw. Maybe a wrestler named Marshmellow Anthony...

I'm sure they will at least get their money back WWE probably won't even have to pay it back so its win win for them. I doubt it stops them from comming back to Denver though unless the owner of the Nuggets holds a grudge but it would be kinda silly for him to since it was his mistake in the first place

I call serious dick move by Vince on this whole Denver thing. Not that I don't think it's fucked up and wrong that they got shafted out of the Denver Pepsi Center even though a contract was signed, but Vince needed to still be busy savvy with the decision on where to move the show so that as little of the people that purchased tickets already would still have been able to go to the show. Now he ruined any chance to actually sue the Pepsi Center (and he would have probably won) when he basically did the same thing - pulled out of the date last minute, which just hurts the people who already got tickets. Would it have been so hard to just have ran from Colorado Springs for Raw AND Smackdown tapings instead of cancelling the Colorado Springs date for no good reason (essentially turning into a huge hypocrite on the whole issue) and then moving both shows to Los Angeles? Good way to piss off your fans in Denver and Colorado Springs, Vince. Now nobody in the nearby Colorado area can go to either show unless they want to head to LA.

I'm sure the idea behind moving to Staples Center is to show support for the Lakers or some retarded shit like that. That's not coincidence they are heading there.

Just when you thought this Denver nonsense couldn't get anymore insane comes this latest news...and to stick it to Colorado even more, even the Sunday house show is off now.....from Meltzer....

"Both sides are unhappy, as apparently while Vince was going around bad mouthing Stan Kroenke, his people were in negotiations and reached a verbal agreement yesterday where Raw would move to Sunday night at the Pepsi Arena. After reaching the verbal agreement, and agreeing to put out a joint press release today, WWE stopped returning the calls from the people at the Pepsi Center, who then found out he backed out of the deal to do the show in Los Angeles instead.

Raw will be headlined by a Lakers vs. Nuggets spoof ten-person match. While not specified, the main event on the show is Randy Orton & Big Show & Ted DiBiase & Cody Rhodes & Miz vs. Batista & John Cena & MVP & Jerry Lawler and a fifth person."

How absolutely stupid is this? The Pepsi Center was going to just switch the date to the night before (which means they would have had to cancel that house show on Sunday, but oh well) and then the company acts like this and bails on the deal? How classless is that, and Vince has the gall to critisize them?

Then to top it all off, a Lakers v. Nuggers spoof ten man tag? Are you kidding me?

Vince has a knack for stupid PR if you ask me, that makes him look more like the idiot than the other side.

Just when you thought this Denver nonsense couldn't get anymore insane comes this latest news...and to stick it to Colorado even more, even the Sunday house show is off now.....from Meltzer....

"Both sides are unhappy, as apparently while Vince was going around bad mouthing Stan Kroenke, his people were in negotiations and reached a verbal agreement yesterday where Raw would move to Sunday night at the Pepsi Arena. After reaching the verbal agreement, and agreeing to put out a joint press release today, WWE stopped returning the calls from the people at the Pepsi Center, who then found out he backed out of the deal to do the show in Los Angeles instead.

Raw will be headlined by a Lakers vs. Nuggets spoof ten-person match. While not specified, the main event on the show is Randy Orton & Big Show & Ted DiBiase & Cody Rhodes & Miz vs. Batista & John Cena & MVP & Jerry Lawler and a fifth person."

How absolutely stupid is this? The Pepsi Center was going to just switch the date to the night before (which means they would have had to cancel that house show on Sunday, but oh well) and then the company acts like this and bails on the deal? How classless is that, and Vince has the gall to critisize them?

Then to top it all off, a Lakers v. Nuggers spoof ten man tag? Are you kidding me?

Vince has a knack for stupid PR if you ask me, that makes him look more like the idiot than the other side.

You dont get it do you?

You dont see the big picture in all this.

Vince could have easily excepted Sunday Night in the Pepsi Center but what fun would that be? Sure the fans that paid to see Raw would be happy but then everyone would have pretty much stopped talking about the situation. Thats not what Vince wants. If you have been following WWE for any extended length of time you should know by now Vince never wants people to stop talking about WWE. He loves publicity and makes a Billion Dollar living off of it. By having the show moved to the Staples Center...home of the Lakers, it adds a ton of publicity to the situation and people are gonna tune in to watch and see what the big deal is.

I mean look at what a "storyline" this has unexpectedly turned out to be. Its great. Its got people talking. Its fun. Vince was on ESPN right after Raw ended holding up a Kobe Bryant jersey, the next day the situation is all over the news. New York Times, LA Times, Miami Herald, San Fransisco Chronicle, Boston Herald, CNN, Forbes, CNBC, ESPN, TMZ, Fox, NBC, The AP, Smarks, Marks, National News, Local News, pretty much every major media outlet has reported on the situation. PTI on ESPN had a discussion about it. Usually the only time outside of Wrestlemania that the mainstream media including Sportscenter is talking about WWE is when a death is involved. Its great, free, unexpected publicity. Like I said Vince could have easily excepted Sunday night in Denver..but what fun would that be? Instead he chose to move Raw to the Denver Nuggets opponents house! They could have chose alot of different places to hold the show but going to the Lakers house makes this a great angle for Vince and as a fan its fun to watch it unfold. The atmosphere in LA on Monday should be electric. LA always has a decent crowd but seeing all the drama surrounding the situation, and there team being in the playoffs, and WWE choosing to have Raw there at the last minute over Denver is gonna make for a very fun Monday Night. I would think they are gonna put on a really good show and make sure everyones on point because alot of very casual fans will probably tune in just to see whats going on. They already have a huge 10 man tag match booked with a "5th player" to join Cenas team. I wouldnt be surprised if they popped a 4. something on this show.

You gotta be a real grinch to not enjoy watching this unfold.

You dont get it do you?

You dont see the big picture in all this.

Vince could have easily excepted Sunday Night in the Pepsi Center but what fun would that be? Sure the fans that paid to see Raw would be happy but then everyone would have pretty much stopped talking about the situation. Thats not what Vince wants. If you have been following WWE for any extended length of time you should know by now Vince never wants people to stop talking about WWE. He loves publicity and makes a Billion Dollar living off of it. By having the show moved to the Staples Center...home of the Lakers, it adds a ton of publicity to the situation and people are gonna tune in to watch and see what the big deal is.

I mean look at what a "storyline" this has unexpectedly turned out to be. Its great. Its got people talking. Its fun. Vince was on ESPN right after Raw ended holding up a Kobe Bryant jersey, the next day the situation is all over the news. New York Times, LA Times, Miami Herald, San Fransisco Chronicle, Boston Herald, CNN, Forbes, CNBC, ESPN, TMZ, Fox, NBC, The AP, Smarks, Marks, National News, Local News, pretty much every major media outlet has reported on the situation. PTI on ESPN had a discussion about it. Usually the only time outside of Wrestlemania that the mainstream media including Sportscenter is talking about WWE is when a death is involved. Its great, free, unexpected publicity. Like I said Vince could have easily excepted Sunday night in Denver..but what fun would that be? Instead he chose to move Raw to the Denver Nuggets opponents house! They could have chose alot of different places to hold the show but going to the Lakers house makes this a great angle for Vince and as a fan its fun to watch it unfold. The atmosphere in LA on Monday should be electric. LA always has a decent crowd but seeing all the drama surrounding the situation, and there team being in the playoffs, and WWE choosing to have Raw there at the last minute over Denver is gonna make for a very fun Monday Night. I would think they are gonna put on a really good show and make sure everyones on point because alot of very casual fans will probably tune in just to see whats going on. They already have a huge 10 man tag match booked with a "5th player" to join Cenas team. I wouldnt be surprised if they popped a 4. something on this show.

OMG it's so exciting!!!

You're missing MY point completely, he's screwing over the people who bought tickets to any of those Colorado shows.

They could have chose alot of different places to hold the show but going to the Lakers house makes this a great angle for Vince and as a fan its fun to watch it unfold. The atmosphere in LA on Monday should be electric. LA always has a decent crowd but seeing all the drama surrounding the situation, and there team being in the playoffs, and WWE choosing to have Raw there at the last minute over Denver is gonna make for a very fun Monday Night. I would think they are gonna put on a really good show and make sure everyones on point because alot of very casual fans will probably tune in just to see whats going on. They already have a huge 10 man tag match booked with a "5th player" to join Cenas team. I wouldnt be surprised if they popped a 4. something on this show.

The point is that you're balancing the number of fans who really will get a kick out of this "angle" vs the fans you piss off by taking a show away from them to spite someone... or the fans who find this moronic and have no interest in watching 2 hours of shots at the Nuggets. Not to mention that WWE and Vince will probably manage to complete reverse the opinion of the mainstream in days. As you said, they got a ton of publicity and the really unique part of that was that for once the mainstream was on their side and was treating them with respect. But with all of this stuff if ESPN isn't once again rolling its eyes at WWE by Monday night and the rest of the media hasn't once again dismissed WWE as the useless sideshow it is then I'll be shocked. And I know Vince goes by the "no such thing as bad publicity" mantra and if he gets a marginal one time bump in ratings he'll somehow see that as a gigantic victory for WWE. But still, seems really silly to squander some good will and annoy some fans all to take pot shots at someone who kind of screwed you in business. A situation you have to assume most wrestling fans have no idea is happening or couldn't care less about.

Nothing wrong with showing support for the Lakers Vince is just getting behind the winning team

Like most LAL fans I know. :D

This whole thing was kinda odd. But Vince was in the right here. They booked the building first. However he should have solved the problem by agreeing to tape RAW on sunday. Simple as that. He didn't have to be a dick about it. However at least he finally got some relatively positive exposure on mainstream TV.

So Raw should accept getting bumped and tape the show on Sunday and not air live because the Denver owner screwed up? How is this move a shot at the fans? House shows and SD! tapings usually happen close to Raw for production and travel purposes.

The 10-man tag is stupid though, because ten man matches suck and it's certainly not a draw. Now if McMahon put five top guys against five jobbers in Denver jerseys - maybe Marshmellow Anthony, JR Spliff, Sha-Nene etc it might be amusing.

We'll should just get a 10 woman tag with the "good" divas in Laker jerseys and the "bad" divas in Nuggets jerseys would make no sense but wouldn't hurt anyone either

However if it is a main event though with the guys announced like Cena and Orton and MVP ect and they are dressed up like Lakers/Nuggets then we know Vince is letting ego get the best of him

So Raw should accept getting bumped and tape the show on Sunday and not air live because the Denver owner screwed up? How is this move a shot at the fans? House shows and SD! tapings usually happen close to Raw for production and travel purposes.

Yes, Vince should have accepted the offer to tape Raw on Sunday from Pepsi Arena. Clearly. They have taped Raw on Sundays before (in fact I even went to one here in Minneapolis, the one that inadvertently became the Eddie Guererro tribute show) and being "live" versus on a one day tape delay really isn't affecting anyone in the big scheme of things, in fact it's probably a bit cheaper for the company to do so. And it's a shot at the fans because people who got tickets to the Denver show (and now also Loveland and Colorado Springs) don't get to check out the shows since they have all been rescheduled or now cancelled, in this case. If they would have just done the Raw taping on Sunday, all of the fans who purchased tickets to Raw in Denver would have been able to have the chance to still see it, and really, all it would have costed the company was to eliminate the Loveland house show for Sunday (or just move it to Monday instead) and an extra night of staying in and around the Colorado area for the workers.