TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZGangsta

Wolverine: Origins

Ok, so I read the first 4 issues of Wolerine: Origins, and maybe I souldn't pass judgment until the series has gone on, but MAN has it dissapointed. I mean, this is fucking Wolverine, his backstory is like the Holy Grail of Marvel storyliness. This should have been a slam dunk. The storyline hasn't really been intruiging at all yet, although I will admit there is some foreshadowing that interests me. But focusing on Nuke of all people thus far? Nuke? A character that's was only interesting when Frank Miller wrote about him. Who gives a crap about Nuke? And issue 4 features a cliched brawl with Captain America (over Nuke of course). And from issue 4 and the preview of issue 5, it seems that Emma Frost is going to be a focus now. I just don't see Emma fitting in as a big part of Wolverine's origin story.

Furthermore, this is supposed to be the big reveal once and for all when it comes to Wolverine, but so far they've fallen on the same old 'allude to shadowed past events' that they've always done with him.

And that brings me to the art. Dear God is this the wrong art style for this title or what? It's just so fucking bland. It might be the worst part about this book.

What the hell was Marvel thinking? This title is going to sell regardless, but Marvel is so obsessed with Wolverine, and he seems to be their biggest 'star' (along with Spiderman) so why the hell didn't they pull out all the stops and bring in the star power for writing/art and really hit all the big notes when it comes the Wolverine character.

Fuck you'd at least think they'd toss Bendis/Millar/Brubaker (not condoning any of those choices) on it.

Yeah..Dillons art is HORRIBLE for this book. Throw Finch on there, and get Lindelof to write it, and you are golden.

Linedelof? You're kidding right. The Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine debacle was another Wolverine related thing that I was going to bitch about.

The third issue of the series has been met with a number of delays. It was originally solicited for April 19, 2006; only to be resolicited to May 17. That date came and went, and after about a week with no word on the issue's fate, Marvel finally announced that it would be released July 12. Another delay would cause the issue to be bumped to August 9. Recently it has been announced that the third issue will ship September 20, almost an entire year after the first issue of the bimonthly series was released. It is rumored that Leinil Francis Yu has yet to receive the final script for the aforementioned issue.
Marvel needed to cancel this series or burn the guy's contract and assign a new writer or something after this mess but you know how they are with 'celebrity writers.' Just cause the guy co-created Lost they let him dick around what was supposed to be one of their highest profile books.

But Finch, now that's a good call.

I don't keep up with comics but back when I was just getting out of them completely I remember them running a book about Wolverine's origin. How is this different from the one from a year or two ago?

I don't keep up with comics but back when I was just getting out of them completely I remember them running a book about Wolverine's origin. How is this different from the one from a year or two ago?

Not sure about the previous Wolverine origin stories, but this time around Logan actually (as a result of House of M) remembers everything himself. And they're slowly revealing all that to the readers through this series. So here's a problm (another one) I have with all this. Wolverine remembers everything, but they aren't just going to out and tell his history, they're doing it in bits and pieces from all over his timeline. So that means that any time in the years to come, some random element from his past can come out and 'shock' the reader and then we can have some nifty flashback to the past where the Wolverine connection is revealed. So in other words, it'll be ust the same as before, except this time Logan will know what's going on as well.

Oh, and as of last issue

Wolverine's son is alive and out there.

Yeah, and the art's atrocious.