TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Computer sound volume no longer controlled through dial

So I have a 5.1 setup, with a volume dial on the center channel speaker. I come home today and turn on the 'puter and now the sound can't be controlled by the dial anymore and only though the computer's software volume center.

If I am watching something on quicktime/media player/divx, those volume controls work, but what the hell happened here? However no matte if I turn the dial on my speakers up or down the volume stays the same. Now, turning the dial all the way down to off does turn the speakers off, and then I can turn them back on (which is indicated by the green light, lighting up) but I can no longer adjust the volume level.....When I do turn the dial up and down I hear a scratchy-type sound, like if you scratched a record.....

Seriously, WTF?

Update: Well it is the next morning, and the problem has miraculously cured itself, and now the volume is once again being controlled from my center channel speaker volume dial.........*ok as we speak* it literally unfixed and the volume jumped hella loud.....and then went back to working....hmmmmm, the only thing I can think of is something around here creating some type of interference with the speakers/sound?

I :wub: computers......really.

Problem fixed: So somehow my speaker settings got changed from 5.1 to 2.0, so the sound card was trying to pump all the power through two speakers which made it jumpy. Once I changed the setting back to the proper 5.1 option, all was well.

Update: problem NOT fixed. While the above statement seemingly fixed the problem, I get home from work today and the problem is back and this is even with the proper speaker settings....I am pretty much out of guesses. I just wonder if this problem goes beyond the audio equipment itself. I have been considering upgrading my speakers anyway(and maybe the sound card as well) but if this is some internal computer problem like some sort of conflict I am not sure how to fix it. The other weird thing is the center channel speaker is deciding not to work which is puzzling because when I run the diagnostic test I get sound through it, but then when I go to play music it doesn't play through it......goddammit.

Guest ForumPro

Okay, don't worry, I'm kind of an expert on this, so let's hash this out. :)

Here's what you need to do. I think this is a physical problem, actually. Hang on, I'll get back to you monetarily.