TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mikeoldmac

Favourite wrestling event

All time? I'm gonna say one of Canadian Stampede, ECW Heatwave '98, Royal Rumble 2008, or Wrestlemania 14. Wrestlemania 17 or Royal Rumble 1992 are the most watchable as far as holding up against time, but Canadian Stampede was probably one of the proudest moments I've ever felt as a Canadian. ECW Heatwave was by far the best ECW PPV, and really induces nostalgia of ECW.

Wrestlemania 14 was what really got me back into wrestling during my mark days as an early teen, in addition to the gratification of HBK getting his comeuppance from Survivor Series (I always liked Austin alot, even if Bret's my favourite all-time).

I spent three years in an awesome bachelor pad (a bungalow) in St. Catharines, before moving to Calgary for most of 2008. The Royal Rumble 2008, in addition to being the best Rumble match in six or seven years (2004 no longer counts), had a certain 'event' feel to it - the end of an era at my house, coupled with quite a few buddies coming over to watch, lots of beer and good food, and the second installment of "CG's Rumble Pool". I won 70 bucks!

I've gotta go with SummerSlam '91. This is a true feel-good show with the babyfaces going over strong in all of the important matches. I seriously detested The Mountie when I was a kid, so the Big Bossman sending him to jail was the most awesome thing ever. The heat for the DiBiase-Virgil match was just tremendous, and Piper was in top form on commentary for this one.I have already stated before that Hart-Hennig for the IC Title is probably my favorite match of all time. LOD putting the Natural Disasters in their place en route to defeating the Nasties for the Tag Team belts was pretty sweet too. Add that to three of my favorite faces at the time winning the opener, and Hogan/Warrior teaming up, and, yeah, really fun show. I didn't even mind that it closed with an angle instead of a match.

I'll do it by company...

WWF: Survivor Series '90 (Almost entirely because it's a tape I rented a ton when I was a kid. I loved the concept of The Ultimate Survivors match and The Ultimate Warriors Vs The Perfect Team and The Dream Team Vs The Million Dollar Team matches)

WrestleMania VIII (IMHO- this PPV really felt like the end of a generation of wrestling what with Hogan and Piper's last WWF matches for a while. A hell of a fun show even if it tails off a ton in the second half)

WrestleMania X-7 ( Cliche answer but it's still for my money, the best show WWF/E has ever put on. Hardly a bad match on the card and the bad matches are at least very quick. Heck, I thought they also gave it the feel of an old school WrestleMania where they tried to fit every guy on the card. Anyways, great great show)

WCW: Starrcade '95 (Unique and more importantly very good show. Lot of interesting stuff here; the WCW Vs New Japan tournament, the first triangle match in the Big Two IIRC, and no Hogan! I just always loved the feel of this one. Sort of foreshadowed the international flavor WCW's undercard would have for the next few years)

SuperBrawl VIII (I might be alone on this one but I rented the hell out of this one too as a mark. This is IMHO the show that Starrcade '97 should have been. You've got the great undercard so typical of WCW PPVs of this era and the main events didn't suck as much as they usually did. Plus you've got the debut of Big Poppa Pump!)

Spring Stampede '99: The last truly great WCW PPV.

ECW

Heatwave '98: Again, sort of a cliched answer but a lot of ECW PPVs felt cluttered and a bit too spontaneous for my liking but this one worked for me.