TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest alkeiper

Yanks Aquire Jeff Weaver

Guest alkeiper

The Yankees just got Jeff Weaver from the Tigers in a 3 team deal also involving the Oakland A's

Yankees get

Jeff Weaver

Tigers get

Carlos Pena

Franklyn German

Athletics get

Ted Lilly

John-Ford Griffin

Jason Arnold

Fairly good trade all around. I think the Tigers got the best of it. Carlos Pena's a future all star. I guess the Yankees figuered 5 starting pitchers just wasn't enough. Puzzled as to why the A's would give up on Pena so quickly though.

Guest cartman

hmmm.....another question mark for the Tigers, what about Randal Simon and Dimitri Young? Someone's not gonna be a happy camper.

Either Pena goes down to AAA for the rest of this year and develop him more or bench Young/Simon...once again Those loveable Yankees ruining baseball for the rest of my summer.

Guest DragonflyKid

I don't see where Lilly fits with the A's. Of course they have the big three in Hudson, Mulder and Zito, but Lidle has been pitching very well as of late and is a known second-half pitcher and Harang has been great since being called up except when facing Reggie Sanders.

I don't like the fact the A's traded a power-hitting prospect like Pena especially when they don't need another starting pitcher.

Weaver can be dominating at times but by looking at his numbers he is inconsistent and not a big step up from Lilly.

I agree the The Tigers did get the most out of the trade.

Guest Some Guy

The A's will use Lilly as a swing man much like the Yanks did. I'm pissed about Pena going to Detroit, I was hoping the Sox could work a deal to bring him home.

Does anyone else think that the Yanks are getting a little ridiculus? First Mondesi, now Weaver, and possibly Cliff Floyd. Their payroll is going to hit $150 million next year, assuming they overpay to resign Clemens. I fail to see how they really need Weaver, aside to keep him out of Boston or any other contender, Steinbrenner has been known to get guys as preventative measures like Canseco and others.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Shhhh...be quiet or else we will have 500 Yankees fans in here saying about how they don't buy championships.

Guest BobbyWhioux

Why did the A's give up on Carlos Pena so quickly? Two Words: Scott Hatteberg.

No, seriously, Hatteberg is good enough all around to be a starting first baseman right now. He's hitting better than Pena [whose average was abysmal] was and is equal to better defensively.

And as for Pena's future power... Dye, Chavez, Tejada, and even David Justice provide plenty of present power.

Now, as to what Ted Lilly is supposed to bring to the A's I'm not exactly certain. They may want to use him in their decent but not spectacular bullpen, or they may just be hoarding him for the future just because EVERYBODY is looking for pitching around the time of the trade deadline, and maybe somebody will be willing to part with somebody really useful for him.

Guest Some Guy

No way in hell is Scott Hatteberg a better or equal defensive first baseman than Pena. Hatteberg had never played the position before this year and Pena is a very good defensive player. Hatteberg's strengh is his bat, which catching held back. Hatteberg is a bad catcher who had to work so hard to be just bad at it that his hitting suffered greatly.

Pena will be a bettere player than Hatteberg ever will be.

BTW I've watched Hatteberg his whole career in Boston.

Guest alkeiper

Oakland has a lot of guys who could fill in at 1st base, like Mario Valdez, Olmedo Saenz, Adam Piatt and Scott Hatteberg. I would've taken Pena over all of them though.

As for the Tigers, Randall Simon is hitting over his head. Dmitri Young can play three other positions. Carlos Pena will fit well with their team. A good pickup for the Tigers.

Guest DrTom

If the A's wanted to get a pitcher, why didn't they just go out and get Jeff Weaver? Really, trading a prospect like Pena for an uncertain commodity like Ted Lilly just isn't a smart move.

The Yankees add another good player for their playoff drive -- big surprise there. The Mondesi deal was way overrated, though, mainly because Mondesi is way overrated and has been his entire career. The best thing he'll bring to that team is a strong arm in right field. As short as right field is at Yankee Stadium, someone with an arm like Mondesi's can greatly affect the other team's baserunning. At the plate, look for him to show signs of stardom and promise, but generally be as maddeningly inconsistent as always.

Guest ant_7000

But, you know that "Yankee Mystique" will probably make Mondesi the player he supposed to be, Why do teams always help the Yankees when they don't need help?

Guest Vern Gagne

What do the Yankees plan on doing with Weaver? Unless Clemens is hurt more than their letting on, they have 6 healthy starters does that mean Weaver will end up in the pen.These two moves bother because it's more a case of we can make a trade than we need to make a trade.

What is Detroit thinking. You trade away a 26 year old who's got one of the best arms in Baseball.Doesn't Detroit know you need good starting pitching to be sucessful.

Guest Shaved Bear
The A's will use Lilly as a swing man much like the Yanks did. I'm pissed about Pena going to Detroit, I was hoping the Sox could work a deal to bring him home.

Does anyone else think that the Yanks are getting a little ridiculus? First Mondesi, now Weaver, and possibly Cliff Floyd. Their payroll is going to hit $150 million next year, assuming they overpay to resign Clemens. I fail to see how they really need Weaver, aside to keep him out of Boston or any other contender, Steinbrenner has been known to get guys as preventative measures like Canseco and others.

Boston...conteder :lol:

I give it till the middle of august till they hit a 15 game losing streak

Guest DrTom

" But, you know that "Yankee Mystique" will probably make Mondesi the player he supposed to be..."

Well, the Dodger Mystique sure couldn't do it. I guess there really isn't much of a Blue Jay Mystique (since channeling the ghost of Joe Carter wouldn't accomplish much), but Mondesi has always been a story of failed potential. According to ESPN, the night he was traded, Carlos Baerga told Mondesi that NY was his chance to live up to what he can really do and prove everyone wrong. We'll see if he finally takes that chance.

"What do the Yankees plan on doing with Weaver?"

He'll be in their rotation immediately. Mussina, Clemens, Weaver, Pettite, and probably Wells. Orlando Hernandez gets sent to the bullpen, since the Yanks seem to like Wells better. It creates a bit of a logjam for this season, but remember that Clemens and Wells are both almost 40, and Hernandez is 36. Weaver is only 25, so he helps them tremendously beyond this season, which I think is the real reason they got him.

Guest Some Guy

Shaved Bear, the Sox haev beaten the Yamks 7 out of 11 times this year andd we play you 8 more times, I'd say that Weaver was a preemptive strike against the Sox who are the only team who can keep them out of the playoffs or from winning the East.

Guest alkeiper

I'd say Weaver's the 3rd best pitcher the Yanks have now, after Clemens and Mussina. He's surprisingly affordable, making around $5 mil the next 3 years, and $9.5 million in 2005. He'll be a great pitcher to have beyond this season.

Verne, many people project Carlos Pena to become one of the best 1st basemen in baseball. He could play left field too, which would enable Detroit to play Eric Munson at 1st. As for Detroit's pitching, who knows?

DrTom, lots of people are high on Ted Lilly, and think he can be a quality starter, given the opportunity. He's been lights out on a few outings this year.

Guest Vern Gagne

People have projected alot of players to be future HOFers and that didn't pan out. Not saying Pena won't be good, but you're always running a risk, especially giving up on a 25 year old with a great arm who finally looks to be pitching up to his potential.