TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest redbaron51

Who do you think is Canada's best band?

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is Canada's best band?

• Rush
    • Guess Who
    • Neil Young (no relation to Angus or Malcom Young)
    • Nickelback
    • Tea Party
    • Our Lady Peace
    • Sum 41
    • Swollen Members
    • Skinny Puppy
    • other

Guest redbaron51

Usually Canadian bands doesn't get much attention in the states (except Nickelback and Sum 41), but when you look at it, Canada has probably produced some of the best musicians, and song writers that the world has ever seen.

Now the list posted above will show you 9 bands and other (just incase you like Trooper or April Wine.)

Guest Jerome Drake

Although I dont listen to Rock music, why isnt the The Tragicaly Hip up there?

There pretty famous.

Guest mesepher
well all of those bands suck, so i went with other

oh my....

let me just quote Mike Portnoy, "Rush's impact on mine and Dream Theater's Lives and career is immeasurable. I think it is pretty safe to say that if it is weren't for Rush, there would be no Dream Theater!"

I'll post the rest of the writing later if you'd like.

Guest thefrenchargel

Cryptopsy all the way. Grind doesn't get much better than "None so Vile."

Guest MaxPower27

Hmm, Rush!!!!!

Sum 41 is somewhat enjoyable when you're in a good mood, but not all the time.

I like some Nickelback (too bad, breathe, cowboy hat), but the Chad Krouger (sp?) song for Spiderman makes my ears bleed. I hate that fuckin' song

Most of the others I've never heard before or never heard of. Sorry America Jr.!!

I know who the Guess Who are, of course!!! Never heard of Tea Party. I 've never heard any Skinny Puppy. That Faith No More song that's getting played every 5 minutes is good, but I've getting tired of it. I did like "drowning" was that Faith no More?

Guest swan
I 've never heard any Skinny Puppy.

gasp!!! Go now to your local record store and buy Skinny Puppy. You'll be glad you did.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

I was never really into Rush, so I'm not going to be picking the most talented band this time, hyar. I'll go with Nickleback because they are young and in my opinion have several classic songs already under their belt. Their best times are yet to come, and maybe someday they'll put out a really great album. Rush's best times are behind them... I'm sorry, Godly Saviour Neal Peart... My vote goes to Nickelback.

Guest swan
I'll go with Nickleback because they are young and in my opinion have several classic songs already under their belt.

You are kidding right? I can't even tell the difference between say Nickelback, Creed, and 3 Doors Down. All sound about the same. Maybe it's the same band that uses actors to protray the bands.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

Nickelback is very disctinctive.

Creed sounds nothing like them. I have occasionally confused Creed with both Stone Temple Pilots and Tool before (after just hearing the intro music) but one band I have never thought they sounded an ounce like was Nickelback.

Three Doors Down... I don't know anything about them.

Saying Nickelback and Creed sound the same is just sill. Tremonti plays in a very classical style intermixed with powerchords in similar chord progression. Kroeger plays a more standard rock style and is much less heavy than Tremonti often gets. Also, Kroeger uses a bit of wah where Tremonti more often uses his Flanger. Tremonti uses hammer-ons/pull-offs while Kroeger does alot of sliding. The guitar is nothing alike. And the bass parts are completely different, Creeds are straightforward support of the guitar while NB's bass player detunes his guitar to at least C and plays a more rhytmic part. And to top it off their voices are nothing alike.

I honestly don't see how you could get them confused.

Guest swan
Nickelback is very disctinctive.

Creed sounds nothing like them. I have occasionally confused Creed with both Stone Temple Pilots and Tool before (after just hearing the intro music) but one band I have never thought they sounded an ounce like was Nickelback.

Three Doors Down... I don't know anything about them.

Saying Nickelback and Creed sound the same is just sill. Tremonti plays in a very classical style intermixed with powerchords in similar chord progression. Kroeger plays a more standard rock style and is much less heavy than Tremonti often gets. Also, Kroeger uses a bit of wah where Tremonti more often uses his Flanger. Tremonti uses hammer-ons/pull-offs while Kroeger does alot of sliding. The guitar is nothing alike. And the bass parts are completely different, Creeds are straightforward support of the guitar while NB's bass player detunes his guitar to at least C and plays a more rhytmic part. And to top it off their voices are nothing alike.

I honestly don't see how you could get them confused.

Sorry but both bands to me are just bland mainstream rock. Thats all. Too me it all sounds the same. Nothing about them stands out or makes them stand out from any other top 40 rock band. I don't really find either band having a long career, more like a flavor of the day deal.

I will say this for Nickelback, they did save Roadrunner Records though.

Guest BobbyBacklund

David Usher needs to be in there too.

Rush and Neil Young pretty much blow the others away.

Guest ArkhamGlobe

Neil Young easily, though Rush and the Guess Who are not THAT far behind.

Guest treble charged

Um, you forgot another band, too. I can't remember who though, let me think about it...

Guest redbaron51

treble charger..

i don't put them on since Nori is an ass muncher

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Nickelback has "several classic songs under their belt"?

O...............K.

Guest Youth N Asia

I cannot get past that little bitch's voice to even try to get into rush...I am lightning quick to change the station when they invade my radio.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

"Help Me", "Never Again", "Too Bad". That's three. Sure, not alot but not that bad, either.

Guest treble charged

You call those classic?

Geez, your standards are VERY low.

Guest starvenger

I went with other, since my two favourites are the Hip and Sloan. Of the "new" groups listed Swollen Members are probably the best.

Hey, TC, what's your opinion of "Hundred Milliion"? I found it to be pretty good once you got past the Sum41 influences...

Guest DrEvil

The Tragically Hip. Great writing and a band that just works so well together. Their lives shows are very disappointing nowadays because they just don't have the raw energy that they displayed early in their career, but still putting out good music.

BTW, you also forgot about Blue Rodeo.

Guest treble charged

I like the new song. It's hard to take, though, when you first see the video. There's too much stuff going on in there and I couldn't keep my mind on the actual song. I was more like "What the fuck is going on here?" when I was watching the video for the first time rather than paying attention to the music.

Guest BobbyBacklund

I just realized something after seeing Treble Charged's signature, right below the Edgehead picture....

BWAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!

Guest thefrenchargel

due to the question being -BEST- band, I ALMOST clicked rush until i remembered Cryptopsy was canadian. Geddy Lee's voice is pretty cheesy, but got that band is talented as hell. I'd love to hear Flo Mournier from Cryptopsy go head to head with Neal Peart...that'd be nuts. Speaking of the longevity I mentioned in the Beatles thread, Rush has been around for moons. Put out a boatload of good albums, too. I mean, I play death/grind bass, and Geddy Lee is a huge influence of mine. Off timed shit, dischordant, but with a totally different style of music, the dude rules.

Guest mesepher
due to the question being -BEST- band, I ALMOST clicked rush until i remembered Cryptopsy was canadian. Geddy Lee's voice is pretty cheesy, but got that band is talented as hell. I'd love to hear Flo Mournier from Cryptopsy go head to head with Neal Peart...that'd be nuts. Speaking of the longevity I mentioned in the Beatles thread, Rush has been around for moons. Put out a boatload of good albums, too. I mean, I play death/grind bass, and Geddy Lee is a huge influence of mine. Off timed shit, dischordant, but with a totally different style of music, the dude rules.

yeah man, Geddy rules. So does Neil, and Big Al rocks too! :D