TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bps "The Truth" 21

bps21's official NWA TNA week 5 preview

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I’ll try to make this an every week thing…as my shameless free promotion of this company continues to reach new lows.

Some big time matches announced for the fifth week of TNA. I urge anyone who is on the fence about checking them out to pony up the ten bones and check them out this week.

In only it’s fifth week of existence…the company is obviously going to be in the feeling out process for a while. However if last week’s show is an indication rather than an anomaly they have already found a certain formula that is worth the price of admission.

Big Surprise

We begin with a topic taken from another thread in this folder…that of Vince Russo’s radio interview proclaiming something shocking happening this week, and that the first 15 minutes will be worth the money alone.

Now…I’m sure you watched Raw this week and are thinking the same thing I am now. No matter what they have it will pale in comparison to seeing Eric Bischoff on WWE television.

Bad brake there.

But the two companies are separate…so this surprise should be judged on its own merit.

Hmmm…Vince Russo week two and he’s already promising a surprise. Well…some people are a fan of crash TV…and if executed well, I am one of them. As long as they give the matches that need time…time (which they have so far) anything they bust out will be fine by me.

That being said…I have no idea what said surprise could possibly be.

I didn’t hear the interview myself…but I don’t think Russo tipped his hand on this one anyway. Saying that one thing is worth the price of the show is rather ballsy…then again…I don’t think many people heard the interview. Therefore it was likely just Russo doing his job and trying to sell the product.

One of the first things to consider would be the debut of a new star…and since it is “worth the price alone” it wouldn’t be Kenny from Tough Enough if you catch my drift.

Looking at who’s available…you could narrow that route down pretty quickly.

It isn’t Goldberg for a variety of reasons…not the least of which is money. TNA flat out can’t afford the guy…and there is no way he would be worth the amount he would command. That much out of the budget of a startup promotion with no free TV deal…I think not.

Randy Savage is always out there…but if he were to try and hold TNA up for all the money he wanted the WWA to give him…it’s not going to happen. Savage seems to be the only person left who believes people will pay to see him.

Lex Luger is a guy who wouldn’t be impossible…if he wanted to wrestle. That’s one of the great things about the TNA schedule…it’s one frigging night a week of work. That’s why Hall can succeed here…he can spend 6 days of the week at home with his family. That being said…I have heard nothing about Luger wanting to return to wrestling.

Sting is a very improbable guy…even if he were to return (which would be great for TNA since Sting broke out IN the NWA) it wouldn’t be as a wrestler. Therefore I doubt Jerry Jarrett would pay Sting to take up airtime. On top of that…last I heard, Sting had no plans to return to wrestling in any capacity at this time.

Scott Steiner is likely the most probable of any of the bigger name guys. He could handle the work schedule and was the biggest star that the WWA had. But I don’t see the WWA around anymore…so I could see Steiner becoming a big star in TNA instead. That is unless he has another injury that I am not aware of.

Looking at the list…I think Steiner could be a big plus for the company. If he is able to meet the tough requirements of having an 8 minute match every other week or so…he could thrive there. He could also bring some credibility to the NWA title picture (which has no doubt fallen well behind the X title in terms of notoriety). If brought in as a heel he would round out the top four with Shamrock and Hall being the faces and Jarrett and Steiner being the heels.

I would go this route with the surprise. Steiner is a pretty big name and is very popular with the crowd so his appearance would not be a disappointment.

That being said…the surprise could not be a new wrestler at all (or it could be a lesser than top tier guy…like Sabu or Shane Douglas or Mr. Perfect (you can almost hear that flight from hell shoot ringing through a Russo inspired microphone right now…can’t you?))

If it’s not a wrestler…then I have no clue. I doubt they could run an angle surprising enough to be worth the ten bucks…unless Russo really really wants nudity on the show…and Jerry caves. By the way…I could point out how bad an idea that is on several levels…but I can sum it up with one: What TV network would EVER look at you as a potential client when you are basically reduced to being a smut peddler?

Enough of that…I have no idea what it will be…or if there will even be one (one of the side effects of a lack of guaranteed contracts and being a small promotion)

Midgets are back.

I was surprised to see a few posters come out in defense of the hardcore midgets. While I do agree that Puppet the evil dwarf (or whatever his moniker is) has a pretty entertaining shtick with the thumbtacks and all…doesn’t it get old?

Well…TNA obviously considered that. Because if a midget match wasn’t gimmick enough ( a hardcore midget match to boot…that’s like a gimmicked gimmick match) they added yet another gimmick to the fold.

That being Meatball. Meatball is reportedly the world’s largest midget. Checking in at the NWA TNA website…they say that Meatball is 4’7’’ and weighs 245 pounds. They have a picture of him up as well…and I must say…for a short guy who outweighs me by a good 50 lbs. He looks to be in surprisingly good shape.

They even let him shit talk in the short article.

Puppet vs. Meatball

If that doesn’t net you a TV deal…you really shouldn’t be surprised.

But…some people like midgets and they do try to keep the matches short enough that the humor of the situation doesn’t wear off…so my optimistic side says: meh.

Now onto the real stuff.

In a match that Dave Meltzer announced on his Wrestling Observer Live show with special guest Christopher Daniels…

Christopher Daniels and Elix Skipper vs. Jorge Estrada and Sonny Siaki.

Estrada and Siaki are two-thirds of the Flying Elvises…the third being Jimmy Yang who is currently on a tour of Japan and will have to rejoin his fellow Elvii at a later date.

This match wasn’t thrown together as willy nilly as one might think, either.

The storyline going in is that the Flying Elvises are upset about being left out of the X-title match in week two…and the X-division seeding match in week four…despite being undefeated, and holding a tag victory over the top guys in the division (Lynn, Styles and LowKi…week 1)

As you’ll recall…The Elvises ran in after the X-division match last week…attacking Daniels, LowKi and Skipper who ran back out.

So…although the team of Daniels and Skipper looks odd on paper…it actually makes sense storyline wise.

I would expect we will get a good chunk of that ten dollar price tag back with this match…as last weeks tag match (Lynn and Styles vs. Tempest (Devon Storm) and Slash) was given a full 10:30 of solid time to unfold. With TNA’s seeming commitment to the X guys (And the fact that Daniels is the next in line for a title shot…and this is the continuation of an angle) I expect similar treatment here.

Taking a look at the guys involved: Anyone who has seen Daniels knows why I would be high on him. He is a pretty impressive wrestler and a fine addition to the X division (he just signed like 12 days ago). Elix Skipper was very impressive last week in the 6-man. In fact I thought he came out of the match looking the best. The Elvises (silly gimmick aside) had a watchable match with the Dupps. That’s all you need to know.

Expect a fast paced semi-spot fest. Also expect it to be given some decent time to develop…and deliver.

Scott Hall vs. Brian Lawler (Christopher)

Some people scratched their heads as to why Christopher’s heel promo was directed at his father…who is obviously not in the company. To me this made perfect sense since TNA is based out of Tennessee…where the King is a legend. Can’t argue with its effect…as Christopher (who will now be referred to as Lawler) got some tremendous heel heat in his first week after the turn. When the crowd picks up on your turn enough to chant “Jerry’s kid” I’d say you did something right.

Scott Hall may be the most popular guy in the promotion. So this match should have some good heat to it…if nothing else.

But Lawler is a decent worker…and Hall isn’t an offensive competitor in his own right. So this may be a decent little contest.

The storyline (isn’t it great that all the matches actually have one of these?) is that Lawler is the first man on Hall’s list of people to extract revenge from. Lawler turned on Hall in their tag match against Jeff Jarrett and K-Krush in week 3 (Krush and JJ are the other two people on Hall’s list).

I wouldn’t expect this match to go longer than eight minutes or so (which plays to Hall’s strength). We’ll likely see the angle get fleshed out further with K-Krush getting involved in either the decision or the aftermath.

Lawler’s turn could turn out to be a key for TNA. It has a chance to be a pretty successful angle. Anyone who thinks that a guy with some decent work ethic running an angle where he bad mouths the state’s favorite son…who happens to be his father can’t become a top heel is just crazy.

I think protecting Lawler’s turn is more important at this point than Hall getting immediate revenge. I’d like to see them put Lawler over (if not in actually winning…then by making him look like gold)

The ladder match

If you are wondering why Jarrett and Malice (formerly the Wall…getting a mega push that he has so far handled well) are in a ladder match…I believe it has something to do with Jerry Jarrett’s traditional beliefs that heel vs. heel matches are crowd killers. There is some truth to that (look at the dead crowd in the Angle vs. Taker match) so instead of a straight up match…put them in a ladder match.

I don’t think the ladder match plays to either guy’s strengths…but it makes sense because taking a pinfall at this point in time would unnecessarily hurt the loser of the match.

They are fighting over the #1 contender spot for Ken Shamrock’s NWA World title.

I don’t know what to expect from how long this match will go…or how it will look. I am pretty confident as to who will win, however.

Malice has faced Shamrock twice in the first month of the promotion (week 1 & week 3) and lost both times. Since they have no plans on giving Malice the title anytime soon…Jarrett wins here to take on Shamrock at a later date (I would assume next week…in a match that should be pretty darn good IMO).

But that doesn’t mean they can’t have some fun along the way (and of course with Russo around the potential for a SWERVE is always there).

Heel vs. heel only works one of two ways…dead crowd or one guy becomes the face by default.

With the gimmick in place the crowd won’t be dead…and to be truthful…I couldn’t tell you which guy they would get behind. Jarrett would seem to have the edge because he will probably be playing the face in the match (what I mean is Malice beating on him for a majority then JJ making comebacks). But Malice’s size and the potential for them to turn out a brutal bloody match may give him the edge.

That’s just one of the interesting things to look at in this one.

When guys can’t be Jeff Hardy or Rob Van Dam in a ladder match…you can run into a problem.

People want spots in ladder matches.

Therefore…the way I would book this one is to have it be a bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody, brutal walk through hell for JJ.

I expect it to be given a decent amount of time…and for Malice to continue to be protected despite losing.

X-Title

What everyone is buzzing about. With all do respect to Russo’s possible surprise…this is the what may prove to be worth the ten bucks alone.

I have never seen LowKi against AJ Styles…but from what I gather from those who have (and Styles himself in an interview on the NWA TNA website, as well as Christopher Daniels on WOL this week) these two tare the house down.

LowKi won the six man X division seeding match last week…to set up his title shot this week.

These two should deliver. Unless some freak injury or something occurs…I can’t see this match not being fantastic…given the styles they use and the fact that they have worked together before (both in singles and in many 3, 4 or 6 way matches).

Styles is very popular…and LowKi isn’t far behind him despite not getting the major push Styles has.

With the Styles/Lynn feud looming…does LowKi have a shot at winning the gold?

I honestly don’t know on this one.

I don’t know how they are going to treat the title, for one…will it trade hands a lot in an attempt to keep it fresh (while hopefully not watering it down like the WCW cruiser belt became)?

And the Lynn angle could be the very reason Styles does not hold the belt for long.

It all depends on how they go.

I could just as easily see Styles retain the belt until Lynn’s number is up for a shot…as I could see Lynn cost Styles the X title. Think about the effect of that…the two would still have to defend the Tag Titles despite having yet another reason to be bitter enemies.

If Styles did lose…the title would eventually find it’s way onto Lynn so that Styles and he will have their major blow off over the belt.

It works either way…and either way they go is fine by me.

The matches are enough to carry any angle I can see them doing.

I read that Jasmine St. Claire will be back this week…trying to get naked again. It was fun the first time (week 4) especially with Ed Ferrara spearing the vice president of the company…but overkill is overkill…I don’t see it working twice. Could the nudity be Russo’s surprise? Never put it past him…but I doubt it. The best thing to do with her now is to find her someone to manage. Maybe they’ll do that…but I figure we’ll see a rehash of last weeks angle.

Do not order expecting to see Shamrock wrestle…as they seem to only use the World title every other week (with the X title being defended on those weeks). Expect to see Shamrock doing a promo…getting involved in the aftermath of the ladder match…or not at all.

Jarrett and Hall working along with two X matches provide more than enough star power to keep Shamrock to try and sell another show.

Expect two maybe three matches to be on the card by show time. Guys like Jerry Lynn (although I think he’s somewhat doubtful…since no match was announced and he has become a main reason to tune in), K-Krush, Apolo, David Young, the Rainbow Express, The Johnsons, The Dupps, Slash, Tempest or Chris Harris and James Storm could be added at the drop of a hat. I’d expect to see two of those teams on the show.

My Steve Corino watch continues this week…but since they announced that Norman Smiley and Devon Storm (Tempest) would return on last weeks show in their preview…I’d assume they would have announced that Corino if he were going to be there. He’s probably on tour…the wait continues.

All in all…this is shaping up to be a good week to give the show a try. I think most people who ordered last weeks show will be doing so again…as last week was a very strong showing.

It’s amazing what logical angles and in ring payoffs can do to restore ones faith in professional wrestling. TNA is fast becoming my wrestling therapy as I come to the realization that all of the WWE angles (including the Bischoff angle) revolve around people who don’t deserve to lick the shit off of AJ Styles boot. HHH I’m looking at you.

How does a guy not on TV still manage to dominate most of the broadcast? Why is Brock not over and getting the Jesus push? Why come RVD did the job on Monday? Why couldn’t Jeff Hardy tap to the crossface? Why is Bubba tough more protected than Eddy Guerrero? Why does Booker T always job? That only covers PART of ONE SHOW.

My head hurts.

Oh boy…Wednesday’s can not come fast enough.

At least for me.

Guest goodhelmet

you really should write the nwa press releases because youmade me more excited about the nwa product in your short summary than anything the promotion has done for advertising or press statements.

the only thing i take exception to is calling hall inoffensive. i simply haven't seen anything from the guy in 6-7 years that would make me want to watch him wrestle.

as for the x-title division, rock the fuck on!

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

yeah...when I typed the Hall thing I justfied it by thinking of a guy like Viscera as being "offensive" and since Hall isn't that bad...well...you know...

um...

X DIVISION!!!! WOOO!!!!!!

now that you mention it...I should write their press releases.

Have you ever read there releases? There is nothing on them that makes me want to order either...and I like the product.

Someone is just throwing that shit together at the last minute.

It's funny what being excited about a promotion can do for someone...I have NEVER written anything as long or consice about the WWE...and I've already written 2 for TNA!!!

Guest Flyboy

I saw the X-Title match.. (the first one), and... it fucking ROCKED.

That's all I've seen of the NWA unfortunately. :( I read the results and such but don't order it.

I have to pay my cable interent conection, and I can't shill 10 bucks for the shows (it goes on the same bill), so.. NWA-TNA gets left out.

*sighs* It sucks, but.. if I ever miss the great matches on the show then I can always download them, I suppose.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I just watched the X title match from week 2 again today actually...

THAT MATCH ROCKS HARD!!!!

I was thinking of ranting on it...but no one reads Smarks Krew...so if I did I'd throw it in here.

AWESOME match

Guest goodhelmet

" yeah...when I typed the Hall thing I justfied it by thinking of a guy like Viscera as being "offensive" and since Hall isn't that bad...well...you know...

um...

X DIVISION!!!! WOOO!!!!!!"

yeah, mention the x-division and all is forgiven! fuck, i really think it is the most exciting thing in amertican wrestling today and i have yet to see one match in said division.

"Have you ever read there releases? There is nothing on them that makes me want to order either...and I like the product."

Yes, i have read their press releases and i don't think it's a coincidence dave scherer/bob ryder is involved in the promotion either. that's my own personal 2+2 conclusion.

"It's funny what being excited about a promotion can do for someone...I have NEVER written anything as long or consice about the WWE...and I've already written 2 for TNA!!!"

as for writing about the wwf, while you are certainly passionate (or hostile depending on who's reading your posts), there are hundreds of 'writers' discussing the going-ons of the fed. unfortunately, in this day and age of wrestling, if you make an opinion on the fed, you are attacked as echoing someone else's sentiments. unfortunately, the nature of the beast.

i thought about doing a similar project with the ROH shows but in no way do i want to help feinstein sell tapes. thankfully, much of the talented ROH guys are finding homes in the NWA!

finally, pray for a national cable deal because with fresh faces and the x-division and the light work schedule, this thing could be huge with a decent timeslot!

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I was contemplating starting a letter writing campaign to USA pointing out the pluses of getting in on the ground floor of a potentially hot item (X division of course) while there are so many dissatisfied wrestling fans just not watching the WWE...

But I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Guest Flyboy

"Dear USA," :P

Maybe start a petition or something...

I'm getting the aura you like the NWA-TNA more than the WWE in its current state.. :P

Guest goodhelmet

"Dear USA," :P

Maybe start a petition or something...

I'm getting the aura you like the NWA-TNA more than the WWE in its current state.. :P

you laugh but that really is where to start... to whom it may concern. and go from there.

as for digging the nwa more than the wwf, can you blame him? until the nwo was disbanded, i had a full wwe boycott and hadn't watched a wwe program since KOR. If i didn't steal my cable... errr... borrow my cable, i would have turned to the x-title fed as well.

Guest Flyboy

For some reason... I've always been a WWF/E loyalist.

Examples: I didn't get into ECW until near it's end. When it was on TNN.

Didn't get into WCW until the NWO had formed.

Before tonight, I was SURELY thinking about watching the NWA-TNA and checking it out (which I same plan to do), but it LOOKS like the WWE may be turning around.

I missed some serious good wrestling for being a "WWF mark", and I plan to end that NOW.

Guest goodhelmet
For some reason... I've always been a WWF/E loyalist.

Examples: I didn't get into ECW until near it's end. When it was on TNN.

Didn't get into WCW until the NWO had formed.

Before tonight, I was SURELY thinking about watching the NWA-TNA and checking it out (which I same plan to do), but it LOOKS like the WWE may be turning around.

I missed some serious good wrestling for being a "WWF mark", and I plan to end that NOW.

i guess the difference between the two of us is that i am not loyal to any company. i am loyal to wrestling as a hobby and form of entertainment regardless of the fed who's pumping out the product. i will go to the fed or organization that satisfies my wants as a consumer. being loyal to a particular fed is like being loyal to a cigarette company that kills you as they raise the prices. it just doesn't make sense.

Guest Flyboy

"being loyal to a particular fed is like being loyal to a cigarette company that kills you as they raise the prices. it just doesn't make sense."

Exactly... that's why I've stopped being loyal. :)

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

All I have to say is this: If Monty Brown EVER gets a title shot before the more credible guys on the roster, I will fly to Nashville and personally pump two rounds of buckshot into both Jarretts.

Until then, though... ROCK ON, NWA!

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Hey...Bisch's return is fun and all...

But I don't see it changing the in ring product any.

I see nothing on the Vengeance card that I look forward too...

And my guys are still pushless.

I watch Raw every week like a good little soldier.

But until the words "RVD" and "PPV" combine with "Undisputed Title Match" are in the same sentence...

I'm done ordering them.

Guest the pinjockey

Well after this promo by bps I guess I am going to have to give NWA a shot this week.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I am the second best promotional tool they have.

The first would be the X division...

Did I just call myself a tool?

Guest the pinjockey

You sure did. BTW Flyboy, Ryan Starr has a busted face ::scampers away quickly::

Guest Flyboy

You better be glad this isn't the NHB thread or... OR... OR... oh fuck it. :P

Guest Vyce
Sting is a very improbable guy…even if he were to return (which would be great for TNA since Sting broke out IN the NWA) it wouldn’t be as a wrestler. Therefore I doubt Jerry Jarrett would pay Sting to take up airtime. On top of that…last I heard, Sting had no plans to return to wrestling in any capacity at this time.

This saddens me greatly.

I mean, not that I was expecting him to come back. Or that he'd wrestle again. It's just sad to know he's gone for good.

The lamentations of a Sting mark.

What I would love to see, really, is for Steamboat to return in an on-air role. As their commissioner, as their on-air president / v.p / general manager, etc. He'd be a great foil to feud with the heel stars like Jarrett.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

yeah...they should push for Steamboat to become a part of the organization.

The Sting thing bothers me too...he was one of the best there was at bringing a crowd to life.

Guest MrRant

I want... no I DEMAND illogical match outcomes goddamnit. None of this logical bullshit for me.

:P

Guest Idiot Hive

Reading that just makes me more jealous.

as if this hasnt been said enough..

fuck you cablevision.