TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dmann2000

Albums of the 90's

Guest LooseCannon
Bad Religion--Generator

Out of BR's 90's catalogue, that's an interesting choice. I'm not saying I disagree, but most of their fans tend to overlook that album.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

Well, I find Generator to be the band's second best album, behind, of course, Suffer. It's just excellent all the way through, IMO.

Guest LooseCannon

I suppose there are few things crazier than arguing which is better: No Control or Suffer. But that's exactly what I'm doing.

Guest Anorak

If 'No Control' would have been released in the 90's I probably would have included it myself as I'm a big Bad Religion fan. I think 'Recipe for Hate' and Against the Grain' are the two best 90's albums they have done.

Guest Coffin Surfer
IMO the best album on the list is Carcass-Heartwork. IMO The greatest metal album of all time.

I'd have to disagree. Heartwork was decent, but Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious was far superior, IMO. It had a much better flow, and the songwriting was more intriguing. And the best metal album of all time is Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath. Well, for my money, anyway.

Mercyful Fate really doesn't do anything for me. Their music was good, but King Diamond's cheesy vocals and lyrics(Ugh).

On Bad Religion:

No Control and Against The Grain are both great albums (Hell, "Against The Grain" is probably my favourite BR song, period), but Suffer gets the nod from me due to the higher caliber of songwriting (overall) than the other 2 albums present (IMO, anyway).

In hindsight, saying Generator is my second favourite BR album was a bit inaccurate; it's in a 3 way tie with No Control and Against The Grain. But they are all excellent, and any of you reading this who like Bad Religion and don't have these albums, or are interested in hearing the band, these 4 albums are the best representation of the band, IMO.

On Mercyful Fate:

While the lyrics on Don't Break The Oath are cheesy at various times, the vocals are very solid throughout; King doesn't really go the theatrical route he later began with Abigail. The early Fate stuff, as well as the first King Diamond album, Fatal Portrait (to a lesser degree), is more straightforward (generally) than the later KD/Fate stuff, and the approach seemed to be more about focusing on the music than the vocals. That said, there are times, particularly on Melissa, when King's vocals can be a bit much, but on Don't Break The Oath, everything fell into place to make an amazing album.

That is all.

Guest LooseCannon

As far as Bad Religion goes, I think Stranger than Fiction is actually their best album outside of the Suffer, No Control, Against the Grain trilogy. I know it's probably the least respected (well aside from the new stuff) among hardcore BR fans, but I think that both Greg, and especially Brett, were at their songwriting peak on this album. It's the only album, once they decided they wanted to try to expand their horizons, that I found enjoyable all the way through. Some of the choruses are a little too sugary and overproduced, but otherwise it's a damn good album. It would be among the top-ten albums of almost any year, except it was unfortunately released in 1994 which was a pretty amazing year for music.

Guest areacode212

Off the top of my head, my favorite albums of the 90s:

Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious

Nirvana - In Utero

Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick

Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Angelfish - Angelfish

Guns N' Roses - Both UYI 1 & 2

Garbage - Garbage

Garbage - Version 2.0

Helmet - Betty

Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing

Fugazi - In On The Killtaker

L7 - Bricks Are Heavy

Prodigy - The Fat of the Land

L7 - Hungry For Stink

Guest areacode212
IMO the best album on the list is Carcass-Heartwork. IMO The greatest metal album of all time.

I'd have to disagree. Heartwork was decent, but Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious was far superior, IMO. It had a much better flow, and the songwriting was more intriguing.

I agree with Cerebus. Heartwork had some good songs, but it wasn't *CARCASS~!*. It didn't have the fast rhythms & dual vocals that characterized the band up to that point. I still liked it, but I was disappointed. Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious, IMO, was their defining album. The double shot of "Inpropagation" and "Corporal Jigsore Quandray" at the beginning of the album is just awesome.

And the less said about Swansong, the better.

Guest Incandenza

In no particular order, they are:

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Basehead - Play with Toys

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

Red House Painters - Red House Painters

Outkast - Aquemini

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

Guest Mindless_Aggression

In no real order...

At The Drive In - Relationship of Command. I can just sit and listen and relive one of the best bands to never really make it. Great album that was so so very close to hitting it big.

The Deftones - Around The Fur/ White Pony. I list them both because they're so vastly different, yet so brilliant anyways. THAT is how you follow up a classic CD...by doing something thats not like it at all.

Far - Water and Solutions. Doubt many have heard of them, but thats a brilliant CD. Please do give "I Like It" by them a DL sometime.

Guest Alice_In_Chains_Chick

Alice in Chains- "Jar of flies"

Alice in Chains- "Facelift"

Alice in Chains- "Dirt"

Metallica-"The black album"

Nirvana-"Nevermind"

Make that all of the AIC albums.....and There are a lot more but I wont put them up to many.

Guest Doomsault

Metallica: The Black Album (this should be one everyone's list)

Nirvana: Nevermind

TOOL: Aenema

The Offspring: Ignition

The Offspring: Smash

Gn'R: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2

Guest godthedog

these lists are getting alarmingly short. are people just too lazy, or did the 90s seem to suck that much to some people?

Guest Incandenza
these lists are getting alarmingly short. are people just too lazy, or did the 90s seem to suck that much to some people?

Bah, I had eleven (11) on my list.

Hey, I had 30 on my list! Don't I get bonus points or something?

Guest godthedog

Hey, I had 30 on my list! Don't I get bonus points or something?

absolutely, you & kinetic are ahead.

Guest Incandenza

Oh, I could sit here and reel off numerous albums from the last decade I enjoyed, but, for this to be a true "best of" list, I narrowed it down to what I consider to be the absolutely essential discs. I was aiming for ten, as everyone likes top ten lists, but I just couldn't get it any smaller than 11.

Guest saturnmark4life

i think the best music to come out of the 90's is the entire soundtrack to 'sonic the hedgehog' on genesis. Honestly. Listen to it. other than that,

everything by soundgarden

eveything by NOFX

STAG by MELVINS (my favourite album ever)

pixies -doolittle

Tool - aenema

Rancid - and out come the wolves (even though rancid 2k is better IMO)

weezer - pinkerton

butthole surfers - independent worm saloon and electriclarryland

primus - frizzle fry, brown album and antipop

COC - wiseblood

there's quite a few...

Guest LooseCannon

I'm pretty sure Doolittle came out in '88 or '89. And I'm pretty sure Relationship of Command came out in '00 for those of you who posted those albums.

Onto the lengthiness debate. Incandenza understandably limited himself for the purposes he explained. I know no one is going to sift through the 40-some albums I listed, and I thought about trying to limit myself more, but decided not to. But I believe the original complaint was against those that just threw down a few albums, without any seeming thought behind it.

Guest Incandenza
Doolittle was '89, and Relationship of Command was 2000. So there you go.

Guest saturnmark4life

doolittle was 89 yeah, just noticed that. cross it off my list and replace it with bossanova just for the sake of having a pixies one.

Guest DawnBTVS

Alanis Morrisette-Jagged Little Pill

RHCP-Californication

Nirvana-Nevermind

Nirvana-In Utero

Metallica-Load

Black Sabbath-Greatest Hits(This count?)

The Offspring-Smash

Oasis-What's the Story(Morning Glory)

Guest goodhelmet

there were a number of great albums in the 90's. unfortunately, there were some great songs released on shitty albums as well. some of my personal favorites from the 90's include

weezer- pinkerton

pearl jam- yield

pearl jam- vs.

god'schild- everybody

ratm

ratm- battle of los angeles

urge overkill- saturation

oasis- definitely maybe

alice in chains- dirt

gn'r -use your illusion #2

soundgarden- superunknown

there are more i will list later.