1. 1. Best Decade For

• 1950's
    • 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • 2000's

Guest MrRant

I know I am only going back to the 50's but that I believe is far enough. So what is your favorite decade? The crooners from the 50's and 60's? The power ballads from the 80's? What is it and why?

Guest Kinetic

It sure as fuck wasn't the 80s. I'd have to say the 60s. The 70s were all right, too. Love died soon thereafter.

Guest MrRant
It sure as fuck wasn't the 80s. I'd have to say the 60s. The 70s were all right, too. Love died soon thereafter.

So why did you vote for the 50's? I would have to agree with you though about the 60's.

Guest Kinetic

I didn't vote for anything. The 50s would have to be taken into consideration, as well. A lot of great love songs were written in all of these decades until the 1980s, when intolerable cheese and poor production destroyed the genre forever. The fact that those awful hair metal tour videos for power ballads didn't destroy mankind is nothing short of a testament to the human spirit.

Guest M Nyland

I would go with the 50s...they had the "teen love songs"

the 70s had "psychadelic/sex love"

the 80s had the "power ballad"

the 90s had the "teen pop" love stuff...

THE FIFTIES WIN!

Guest MrRant
I didn't vote for anything. The 50s would have to be taken into consideration, as well. A lot of great love songs were written in all of these decades until the 1980s, when intolerable cheese and poor production destroyed the genre forever. The fact that those awful hair metal tour videos for power ballads didn't destroy mankind is nothing short of a testament to the human spirit.

That was classic... BUT I always considered November Rain to be a love ballad (90's I know) and thought it was really good. But watching Poison sing about a girl while they are each bangin 3-4 chicks a night really doesn't do it for me.

Guest Kinetic

I'm having trouble thinking of one straightforward love song that I really like that's been released in the last twenty years. There are a lot with a tragic undertone, but not many pure love songs. Certainly not in the mainstream. I was just fooling around before but...I think the love song might actually be dead.

Guest MrRant

What about "Bleed to Love Her" by Lindsey Buckingham from the Dance (the Fleetwood Mac one as that is the only version I have heard) album?

Guest Flyboy
BUT I always considered November Rain to be a love ballad (90's I know) and thought it was really good.

Off-topic, but that's my favorite song of all time. :D

Guest redbaron51

Ah c'mon Kinetic, Skid Row had some killer ballads like Remember Yesterday and 18 and life.

Guest godthedog

come on...bonnie tyler, chicago, journey, foreigner...it's all about the 80s, baby!

Guest Incandenza

**Tom Waits post approaching**

One of Waits' two recently released albums, Alice, features two absolutely gorgeous, sad love songs in the form of the title track and "I'm Still Here."

Though it misses Kinetic's twenty year mark by two years, Waits' "Jersey Girl," from 1980's Heartattack and Vine, is notable for three reasons: 1) It is one of his finest moments in a career full of fine moments; 2) It manages to use "sha la la la" in the chorus without sounding cheesy or cliche; and 3) It is a pure love song, without any of that tragic stuff getting in the way.

**Tom Waits post leaving**

Guest redbaron51

what about Story Ballads like Thick As A Brick or Rime of the Ancient Mariner...those ballads own.

Guest Alice_In_Chains_Chick

1950's- Grew up listening to that stuff.....still like it.

1960's- Love the music

1970's-Dont really care for it

1980's-Hair bands and Metal what more can I say

1990's-Grunge and Metal......enough said

2000-Britney Spears bring on more girl singers and boy bands (I have no comment except GAG me!)