TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 4Life

How long will NWA:TNA last without tv deal?

38 members have voted

1. 1. How long will NWA:TNA last without tv deal?

• 2 Weeks
    • 3 Weeks
    • 4 Weeks
    • 5 Weeks
    • 6 Weeks
    • 7 Weeks
    • 8 Weeks
    • 9 Weeks
    • 10 Weeks
    • 3 months or more

Guest 4Life

They're pulling in only 15,000 buyrates per show. They need 50,000 at least to make it. How long will they last without some kind of TV deal with a major cable network behind them.

Guest Nezbyte
They're pulling in only 15,000 buyrates per show. They need 50,000 at least to make it. How long will they last without some kind of TV deal with a major cable network behind them.

that wasnt confirmed. I'd guess 10.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Not only wasn't it confirmed...but it was only for the first show.

The company didn't have a buzz around them until the X title match in week 2.

And I bet Week 5 was there biggest audience coming off of the universal praise for week 4.

That being said...Jerry Jarrett is a frugal frugal man...and Russo doesn't want to fail again.

Not to mention that the governing body of the NWA put their name and title into the mix.

I say they can last a good long while and hold out until a TV deal presents itself.

Guest Jobber of the Week

BPS is such a fanboy. ^^;;;;

I say seven. I heard reports the actual TV critics want a few more shows done before the declare success or failure, and I figure there'll have to be two straight "This is losing money" reports to shut it down.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I am a fanboy...

But I didn't post anything that I don't beleive to be true.

Guest 4Life

I'm not tryint to mock NWA. In fact, I am a big fan of this promotion but how is all this gonna affect me? I get attached to one promotion and then it goes out of business. I still ache after years of ECW addiction.

Guest WWF4Life

I'd give them 8 weeks tops.

Their advertising and marketing plans are extremely suspect, and they've pissed off other NWA territories who won't promote them locally anymore. Jarrett and Ryder are both making more and more excuses to explain the change in direction and they're wasting money in flying guys like Chris Daniels and the Briscoes, only to do nothing with them. Make the most of TNA, it won't be around much longer.

Guest Black Tiger

NWA-TNA charges 10.00 a week for their shows, so that's around 40.00 a month.

TNA has NO TV deal, charges 40.00 a month for PPVs, has very few names current WWE fans would know, Their only highlight is this X Divison and WWE is brining Rey Jr so the CW divison will get much better, and TNA wants to compete with WWE?

Forget about it, cremate them and spread the ashes.

Guest WWF4Life

The thing is, one of their main problems is that they're trying to compete in the first place. Their number one priority should be to make a profit. As for the rhetoric that they're an alternative in wrestling, that's laughable, even more so now that Russo is booking. Using WWE rejects (and using that fact to try to put someone over) and a bunch of spotty indy wrestlers make them look even more bush league.

Guest Nezbyte

Spotty indy wrestlers? Low Ki isnt spotty. Chris Daniels isnt spotty. Jerry Lynn isnt spotty. Psicosis isnt spotty. AJ is alittle spotty, but there is more psych in one of his matches then there are in a WWE match.

Guest WWF4Life

Hehehe...you think Chris Daniels and Low Ki aren't spotty? :D Every X-Title match so far except for Styles-Ki has been a complete spot fest, and the crowd was completely comatose for the match, although they weren't helped by the crap before.

Guest Tony149

If anybody really thinks WWE is seriously going to push the cruisers...then you must be in Smarts fantasy land or hitting the bong one too many times.

Rey might be getting the video packages, but WWE seems to cut the off the wings of the cruisers. Look at Noble/Hurricane from KOTR (I think it was KOTR).

I wouldn't call guys in TNA "rejects". WWE had some of these guys under contract before, but their "creative" team couldn't think of anything for them (Which is hard to belive because that's supposed to be their job) or wanted them.

They wanted AJ Styles, but he was only offered $500 to go to HWA or OVW.

K-Krush was there, but got stuck with a stupid rap gimmick. Anybody in WWE should of know that shit would fail in 2000. Hell, Men On a Mission failed too.

Jeff Jarrett - J.J. gets mixed reactions. You either like him or hate him. McMahon holds a silly grudge because Jarrett wanted his money (which is smart. It could take months or years to get) up front. WWE, the net or both spinned that into Jarrett was holding them up. The guy jobbed to a women no-less without a contract!

There's more guys, but they aren't "rejects" unless you belive in the "if they aren't in WWE, they aren't nothing" crap.

Guest WWF4Life

"Rey might be getting the video packages, but WWE seems to cut the off the wings of the cruisers. Look at Noble/Hurricane from KOTR (I think it was KOTR)."

I seem to remember that the Noble/Hurricane match actually had quite a buildup to it, and the match was given plenty of time on the PPV. As for the Mysterio Jr vignettes, I'm sure we all remember the Scott Putski video packages that launched the division...oh wait.

"They wanted AJ Styles, but he was only offered $500 to go to HWA or OVW."

The fact that he was only offered a developmental deal must tell you something. If they really wanted him, he'd be on the roster by now.

"K-Krush was there, but got stuck with a stupid rap gimmick. Anybody in WWE should of know that shit would fail in 2000. Hell, Men On a Mission failed too."

Yes, a rap gimmick is stupid, but a race baiting gimmick in Alabama and Tennessee is even lamer. Given the choice, I'd rather rap than play the played out race card.

"There's more guys, but they aren't "rejects" unless you belive in the "if they aren't in WWE, they aren't nothing" crap."

I don't believe that 'crap', but millions of casual fans do. That's why they won't get a TV deal.

Guest Tony149

"I seem to remember that the Noble/Hurricane match actually had quite a buildup to it, and the match was given plenty of time on the PPV."

It may have been given time, but the match was more WWE-style (punch, kick) than it was cruiserweight style.

People expect to see cruiserweights fly and do flashy high-impact moves.

That's one thing NWA: TNA is doing right. They're letting the X-division guys go out there and fly around. They let them do their high flying hard-hitting action.

"The fact that he was only offered a developmental deal must tell you something. If they really wanted him, he'd be on the roster by now."

Yeah, it tells me WWE would sign anybody who could help another promotion out.

It doesn't matter they offered him a developmental deal. WWE have signed a bunch of guys they either didn't need or want just so they could have them under contract i.e. Jerry Lynn, Goldust, Curt Hennig, etc.

"Yes, a rap gimmick is stupid, but a race baiting gimmick in Alabama and Tennessee is even lamer. Given the choice, I'd rather rap than play the played out race card."

K-Krush's gimmick doesn't bother me. A wrestling gimmick has never bothered me.

They're pushing something that happens in real life. Russo always belived in taking wrestling into a more reality based show.

"I don't believe that 'crap', but millions of casual fans do. That's why they won't get a TV deal."

I don't think that's the case. There have probably been lots of shows that people didn't know about that hit it big.

You have to remember, this is the internet. If they got a TV and the network and NWA: TNA started to market the shows better people would care.

Guest Black Tiger

I haven't seen much of him in the US but Chris Daniels work in Japan impresses the hell out of me. The fallen Angel gimmick doesn't seem to suit him though, maybe because I'm spoiled by Curry Man's funny as hell promos.

Jerry Lynn, K-Krush, Brian Lawler, Ken Shamrock, and Scott Hall ARE WWE rejects. WHY? Because WWE FIRED THEM.

Guest J*ingus

Shamrock was never fired. His contract ran out while he was still shootfighting for PRIDE in Japan, and he never resigned with them.

Guest Mad Dog

Well good to know they've hung on for this long. Let's hope the TV deal shows up soon.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

They still lasted longer than 10 weeks without being sold.

And most people were dead on sure that they'd be dead long ago no matter what.

Guest Jobber of the Week

Doesn't mean they won't be dead eventually. Doesn't even mean they won't be LESS likely to be dead. The economy is in the shitter, so I'm not exactly sure what an energy company plans to do with a wrestling fed.

I'm getting WCW/AOL-TW vibes here, but I'm just going to ignore it and hope this keeps going.

But guys, get a decent arena again! Please! And consider moving, as it seems the Nashville area has seen all they want to see of your product.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I like that arena.

Also...

Saying that they are near death in the thread that proclimed they'd be long buried by now is kind of funny.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

The ones worth taking have contracts now.

He never should have let Jerry Lynn go.

That's the odd one.

Guys like Albert and Bossman can hang out forever up there...but god forbid they have more than 4 cruisers at one time.

Guest JHawk
The ones worth taking have contracts now.

He never should have let Jerry Lynn go.

That's the odd one.

Guys like Albert and Bossman can hang out forever up there...but god forbid they have more than 4 cruisers at one time.

Well said, bps.

<------still wondering how in the hell they had a potential Jerry Lynn-RVD IC title feud and released Lynn anyway

Guest Galactic Gigolo

Beat you to it BPS.

Motherfuckers without their faith in the product. Though, without the Panda Energy deal, they would've been done by Week 13 I believe it was, as they took that week off for September 11th and were thinking about not coming back.