TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Invader3k

Attacking Iraq...

Guest Cancer Marney

More accurately, they can die very loudly. The Kurds pose absolutely zero threat in military terms. Zero. Likewise the Palestinians. Israel could destroy every last Palestinian on the face of the earth tomorrow without a single casualty. Hell, they could take out most of their neighbours too without much trouble. The only fallout would be in PR terms.

Guest TJH

Well, what is the benefit to America of attacking Saddam?

I am asking this as a proper question, because I can't work it out. I am able to be convinced of the idea, but most people here are quite short on facts and high on rhetoric.

As for 4Life, NCO's are the most important ranks in the army (in particular Corporals). It is no use having great Generals if the orders cannot be given effectively on the ground. If you don't have good NCO's, you're stuffed.

And 4Life would actually have some awareness of the practicalities of attacking Iraq.

Guest deadbeater

Marney, this is as much a PR war as it is a strategic one. Powell has the right strategy: it is as important to have the world believe you are on the right in conducting a war as it is in fighting it.

You also underestimate the power of proving your enemies right. Israel may take out the entire Middle East, but they certainly won't survive the righteous backlash.

Guest Cancer Marney
Well, what is the benefit to America of attacking Saddam?
For starters, he has an active chemical and biological weapons program which he might easily use to supply terrorists who want to launch attacks on us. He also pays $25k to the family of each suicidal terrorist who attacks our only real ally in the region.

NCO's are the most important ranks in the army
What an idiotic statement. That's like saying the legs are more important than the brain, because without the legs the brain can't move. Can the bullshit. Sure, you need good NCOs and good junior officers, but it's the senior officers who take the decisions. Why? Because they have more knowledge, more experience, and more skills.

4Life would actually have some awareness of the practicalities of attacking Iraq
Didn't sound like it.

Guest Cancer Marney
Marney, this is as much a PR war as it is a strategic one. Powell has the right strategy: it is as important to have the world believe you are on the right in conducting a war as it is in fighting it.
Maybe, if anyone can afford to threaten you openly. That is not the case. Having the entire world on our side would be helpful, but it is neither possible nor necessary.

You also underestimate the power of proving your enemies right. Israel may take out the entire Middle East, but they certainly won't survive the righteous backlash.
Now you're shifting the terms of the discussion. You started out by claiming that the Kurds, of all people, posed a military threat to Turkey:
the Kurds, obstensibly out allies will invade Turkey, forcing the NATO by treaty to intervene, not on our side
the Kurds are in a cvil war with Turkey for over thirty years.
And then you implied, equally implausibly, that the Israelis didn't deal with the Palestinians because their armed forces couldn't deal with them:
Israel has a much better army, and look how easily they put down the Palestinian uprising and the troubles in Lebanon. Wait, they didn't.
Your entire argument up to this point has been to the effect that Moslems have some kind of military significance:
Your hatred of the Moslems seemed to have overlooked the fact that they can fight very fiercely.
When confronted with the idiocy of this claim, you've backed away into the truth: they don't - and precisely because they don't, world opinion, for what little it's worth, tends to be on their side even when they're clearly in the wrong.

Give me a fucking break. I've heard all this bullshit before. I was told that we brought 9/11 on ourselves because we're so rich and powerful and they're so weak and poor and it's all our fault. It's the politics of victimhood: I bleed more than the other guy, so I'm better than he is.

Infinite Justice was a wake-up call. It doesn't work anymore. Those assholes have pushed too hard once too often, and I don't give a damn how much they're bleeding, they're going to bleed some more. And anyone who gets in our way can bleed right the fuck along with them.

Guest Cancer Marney

They already have me. And I'm certain Mr Rumsfeld has a far better grasp of our options than you.

Guest Cancer Marney

I don't work in the Pentagon. I work with them. Among others. Not that it's one of my career goals to impress a professed corporal who thinks he deserves a say in military strategy on an Internet message board, but anyway.

Guest Cancer Marney

Nah, it was a conjecture by a third party. I think you might've said you're an NCO or someone else supposed it at some point. It just happened to stick in my head. <g> Sorry.

Guest Spicy McHaggis
I have a wife and a little boy who just turened two. Why should he lose his father? I wouldn't even be remembered tomorrow. This war is not worth it. I've been to Afghanistan and that one was worth fighting but Iraq doesn't mean anything to me.

Quit.

Guest J*ingus

Ditto. You had to know going in that being KIA is a very real possibility in the armed forces. If you're so upset about the prospect of it, why did you join? (Side note: that's one major reason why I wouldn't join.)

Guest thefrenchargel

Shit like this stupid crap makes me want to leave the country. I hope we blow each other all to hell, just to settle it. the more civilian casualties the better, just quit pussyfooting around. nerve gas and napalm in mass quantities, goddam it. burn those fucking towelheads to the ground. Should've taken care of it last time the army was there. wipe that subhuman scum off the face of the earth. evil? yeah. then we all can fullfill our duty as americans to sit around at work and have jumbo jets dropped on our heads like pigeon shit. fuck both sides of this.

Guest DrTom

Already taken care of, thanks. :D I read that filth and immediately opened the ADMIN CONTROL PANEL OF DOOM~!

Guest Ironman

Damn. You people need to pull your asses out of your heads.

Wait... I think I said that wrong.

Guest Some Guy

I'm trying to figure out how some people in here have turned critisisms of mulims into, "you hate all Muslims." I have yet to hear that from anyone in this thread, but the accusations of racism sure do pop up a lot.

The fact of the matter is that most muslims in the Arab world don't like us and many of them want us dead. We did not do anything to cause these feelings of hatred. It boils down to jealousy and bitterness and an outmoded religion. Their supposedly great religion hasn't done shit for them when dinner time comes around, maybe they should drop it and step into this century. Or maybe they should just keep preaching hatred and violence.

Guest Cancer Marney

Nothing to flame there. I think your sentiments are understandable; I'd even find them admirable if you'd just admit your true motivations and stop trying to hide behind bashing our country.

Resign. Go take care of your son. Not that it makes any difference to you, but I wouldn't think any less of you for it.

Guest Cancer Marney

Uh, surely you can request leave. We're hardly strapped for manpower in any field. When does your tour end?

Maybe you should go ahead and do yours so I can rest.
If I'm ever needed out there, sure. But you aren't prevented from leaving by the fact that I'm not on the front lines.

How late do you sleep in the morning?
I sleep once every two or three days, actually, and I slept the night before. Coffee and a few packs of cigarettes will carry me until this evening.

Guest Cancer Marney

Hmm. Guess we'll just have to hope my estimates are wrong. Of course, we haven't committed to an invasion yet, so maybe it'll get resolved some other way. To be frank, though, I can't see that happening. Eventually, we'll probably have to invade. I'm just not sure what spark we'll use.

Guest Powerplay
Hmm. Guess we'll just have to hope my estimates are wrong. Of course, we haven't committed to an invasion yet, so maybe it'll get resolved some other way. To be frank, though, I can't see that happening. Eventually, we'll probably have to invade. I'm just not sure what spark we'll use.

If you want grounding for a war with Iraq without making it anti-Muslim or anti-Arab, the U.S. could pay the Russian government to assume ownership of the massive debt Iraq has built up during its years of war. By doing this, the U.S. can ask for Iraq to pay up with, let's say, 3 months to a year. It's impossible for them to do it in that amount of time, Iraq will refuse (They might even refuse to pay the U.S. simply because they are the U.S.), and the U.S. can invade so they can stabilize the region and rebuild it so it is able to pay off the debts. I'm sure this could get much more support in the Middle East than just invading to take out Saddam.

Guest Spicy McHaggis

How about sending in our inspectors for the 89,943,572,687th time and having good ol' Saddam kick them out again? A major violation which has been let go time and time again to avoid ruffling feathers.