TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

Status Report on NWA-TNA...

Guest Downhome

The following was reported on 1wrestling, by Jerry Jarrett himself...

"Status Report on NWA-TNA from Jerry Jarrett

New Venue: We are delighted with the new look of the Arena in Nashville. We are really excited to be returning to a building with such pro-wrestling tradition. There are few great wrestlers who have not had matches in this Arena. The sense of tradition will be with us tomorrow night for our July 24th program. Mike Tenay is looking forward to reminding fans of the great wrestlers who have performed in the Arena.

Television: We are excited that several television stations have contacted the offices of NWATNA about the possibility of airing our Saturday television show. We are exploring the possibility of offering the show in syndication.

Pay-per-view buy rates: We are eager to know exactly the number of buys our first show generated. Complete numbers will not be available for another 4 weeks. We are please with the current projections which are based on about 2% of the systems.

Talent: We are pleased with the number of wrestling talent who have expressed an interest in joining our NWATNA rooster. We are only 5 weeks old and have attempted to showcase as many of the great wrestling talent as is possible in such a short time. We are happy to announce that the depth of great talent is much deeper that we have been able to present. We look forward to presenting many more wrestling stars over the next few weeks and months. We feel that the cream of talent will rise to the top.

Product Awareness: We have experienced a huge problem internally with our marketing. We are working with In-Demand, our PR firm, and our entire staff to correct these problems. We are so thankful for the loyal fans who have offered to help "get the word out." Please contact us here at the site, if you desire to help us on a local level.

Talent Availability: If you are in the wrestling event business and desire to book NWATNA talent on your events, please feel free to contact us for details.

Personal message to our fans: When we began this project, we had great hopes that there were many fans who would appreciate an alternative wrestling program. To all of you who have supported our Wednesday's pay-per-view program, we want to express our sincere thanks. You have helped us turn hopes and dreams into reality. I personally want each of you to know that we will work each and every day to produce the very best wrestling show that we can.

Jerry Jarrett"

...discuss if you wish, question if you dare, but be gratefull that I saved you the wrath of the pop-ups!

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Wrath of pop-ups...that's funny.

Obviously this is the positive spin of budget cuts and probable underwhelming buyrates.

I'm quite optomistic though...because (as Meltzer wrote) the budget cuts were so big that the $ loss will likely be manageable.

Bring on Wednesday Night!

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I sent an e-mail asking what I could do to help get the word out locally.

I really, REALLY want NWA:TNA to succeed.

Guest Downhome
I sent an e-mail asking what I could do to help get the word out locally.

I really, REALLY want NWA:TNA to succeed.

Can you give me that email address? I'm too lazy to check out the site and find it myself for right now, lol.

Guest Nezbyte

Hmm, about how much would i cost me to run a wrestling show.

Shit.

Ring: $500 min

One Night License: Prob expensive

Ref: $10

Barracades: Make em yur self

Medical Crew: Free (fake this with family)

Talent: too much.

Damn, if i only had a job

I hope NWA suceeds.

Guest Raven_Effect01
I hope NWA suceeds.

Me too. I hope this week and later on we see much better shows from NWA-TNA and not the shit that happened last week with the obvious Russo-ish booking and not as many good matches as in the previous weeks, even though Russo's still writing for NWA-TNA unfortunately.

Guest Angle2004

You mean the same Vince Russo who's writing drew 7.1's in WWE? The same Vince Russo who came up with the Bischoff storyline which increased WWE ratings from 3.7 to a 4.3 in a week?

Guest Retro Rob

I think that is a little cheap, unless the ref is like your 12-year old nephew.

Guest Downhome
You mean the same Vince Russo who's writing drew 7.1's in WWE? The same Vince Russo who came up with the Bischoff storyline which increased WWE ratings from 3.7 to a 4.3 in a week?

No, I believe they speak of the Russo that gave took the NWA-TNA in one week, and made it a shell of it's former self from weeks past. The Russo who gave us the womens match with two women in it who are not meant to be in the ring, right next to a midget food fight. The Russo who shortened the length of the X matches. The Russo who took the X Title match out of the main event, and placed Hall/Lawler in it's place. The Russo who laced the program on his very first night on the job with sexual inuendos (sp?)...

...yes, I believe that is the Russo of which they speak.

By the way, I didn't know that Russo came up with signing Bishoff, everyone in wrestling has only been talking of doing that for the past year and a half, hell, it almost happened last Summer.

Guest Downhome

I think that is a little cheap, unless the ref is like your 12-year old nephew.

I don't know abot you, but I'd ref a match between AJ Styles and Jerry Lynn! :P :D :P

Guest Angle2004

Downhome,

All of the things you mention that you thought Russo did wrong were approved by Jerry Jarret so you should put the same blame on him as you do on Russo. Who said that Russo put Lawler/Hall in the main event instead of the X match? About cutting the length of the X matches - that's ridiculous. Both of the X-matches were long enough and if they went much longer the crowd would be even really dead (like they were during Low Ki/Styles). Russo has said that he thinks that the X-matches are amazing and that he enjoys them very much which leads me to believe that he wouldn't shorten the length of them. And even if he did decide that he wants to shorten the matches Jerry Jarret would not allow it. Also, about the main event -you need to put the name-talent in the main event because if they put Low KI and Styles in the main event some of the casual 1st time fans might have been turned off because they didn't know who they were at all. About the women that weren't meant to be in the ring - NO women are put in the ring to actually wrestle a good match. I tend to believe that the fans really don't care about seeing women involved competition. I think that they just wanna see a 1-minute catfight and that't it. Just my opinion, though. It's funny how no one gives credit to Vince Russo for his involvement in TNA show #4 (which so many people praised). But that's ok - the only thing Russo is responsible is the bad stuff on the show, right?

I'll be the first to admit that I think they went over the top with the midget stuff and all the sexual innuendoes but I also think that there was a lot of good stuff on the show like Lynn/Styles, the development of K Krush and Lawler, Elvises vs. Daniels/Skipper, the developments in the world title division, the Malice/Sabu ladder match, and the Jeff Jarret stuff. And I think that both Jerry Jarret and Vince Russo should be blamed/praised for the good and the bad stuff. I haven't seen one post that praised Russo for the good stuff on the show but whenever the bad stuff comes up he's the first to get blamed. That's not fair. With time I think that Jerry Jarret and Vince Russo will find that medium where both wrestling/sports entertainment can co-exist.

About the Bischoff storyline - Russo laid it out to McMahon and McMahon obviously thought it was finally a good enough scenerio to bring Eric in. If they were talking about it for a year then they obviously couldn't come up with a good storyline for it because they would have brought him in sooner. McMahon probably thought that Russo's ideas were good so he brought him in to the writing team. Then, of course, daddy's little girl, Paul Heyman, and the rest of the members of the writing team went and bitched about it to McMahon about it. The fact is that Stephanie, Heyman and the rest of them haven't come up with anything creative for about a year and they were obviously afraid for their spots. It's funny how right when Russo left, his idea was suddenly not so stupid and it was put on television (in the same way that Russo laid it out). Vinny Mac then had to put his "magic touch" on the idea and that magic touch was to bring his daughter back to TV.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

"It's funny how no one gives credit to Vince Russo for his involvement in TNA show #4 (which so many people praised). "

Jerry himself said that he wrote all of week 4.

Russo's involvement with writing began week 5.

All he did in week 4 was produce the segments Jerry wrote.

Guest Downhome
Downhome,

All of the things you mention that you thought Russo did wrong were approved by Jerry Jarret so you should put the same blame on him as you do on Russo.

Trust me, I place even MORE blame on Jarrett, not only for allowing what aired to have been shown, but for bringing Russo on board in the first place.

Also, the blame falls on Russo, nor does he get praised for the good stuff, because in the weeks prior there was a much better show being presented. It just so happens that the VERY first week he hes input it lessens in quality. Now kid yourself if you may, but that is no coincidence. His signature was written all over it, and even Russo and Jarrett himself has admitted that it was like that, and even WHY it was like that.

About the Bischoff storyline - Russo laid it out to McMahon and McMahon obviously thought it was finally a good enough scenerio to bring Eric in. If they were talking about it for a year then they obviously couldn't come up with a good storyline for it because they would have brought him in sooner. McMahon probably thought that Russo's ideas were good so he brought him in to the writing team. Then, of course, daddy's little girl, Paul Heyman, and the rest of the members of the writing team went and bitched about it to McMahon about it. The fact is that Stephanie, Heyman and the rest of them haven't come up with anything creative for about a year and they were obviously afraid for their spots. It's funny how right when Russo left, his idea was suddenly not so stupid and it was put on television (in the same way that Russo laid it out). Vinny Mac then had to put his "magic touch" on the idea and that magic touch was to bring his daughter back to TV.

First off, you are wrong in sayind that it was put on TV the same way Russo laid it out. Russo laid it out with Eric just showing up, in an invasion type of story line, along with Steiner, Hart, Goldberg, etc... Now I don't know about you, but the ONLY thing that even resembles Russo's idea, was the fact Bishoff showed up, and I hate to break it to you but it doesn't take a genious to come up with a storyline involving Bishoff showing up on TV. It basicly writes itself, and I MUCH rather prefer the way it has happened, instead of how Russo proposed it. Having him be HIRED by Vince, working WITH Vince, etc... is a much better idea than having the Bish just invade.

Everyone in the business, and all of us, have been talking about bringing Bishoff into WWE in some sort of power role. Giving Russo credit for it is doing nothing but scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of trying your best to give him credit for something good.

Guest Angle2004
Also, the blame falls on Russo, nor does he get praised for the good stuff, because in the weeks prior there was a much better show being presented.

I don't care how good the show was the week before. The bottom line is, and I think you'll agree, that week 5 had good stuff and bad stuff. Our opinions may differ on what was good and what was bad but that doesn't matter. If you're going to blame Russo for the bad stuff then you have to credit him for the good stuff as well. IT's that simple.

First off, you are wrong in sayind that it was put on TV the same way Russo laid it out. Russo laid it out with Eric just showing up, in an invasion type of story line, along with Steiner, Hart, Goldberg, etc... Now I don't know about you, but the ONLY thing that even resembles Russo's idea, was the fact Bishoff showed up, and I hate to break it to you but it doesn't take a genious to come up with a storyline involving Bishoff showing up on TV. It basicly writes itself, and I MUCH rather prefer the way it has happened, instead of how Russo proposed it. Having him be HIRED by Vince, working WITH Vince, etc... is a much better idea than having the Bish just invade.

The storyline with Eric invading along with Steiner, Hart, and Goldberg was reported on the Torch newsletter and I don't believe much of anything they report. It wasn't confirmed on 1wrestling or anything like that. So until I see some proof (from a site that usually is right-on w/news like 1wrestling) of the Bischoff invasion angle I won't believe it. About Russo just coming up with the idea of Eric being brought in - That is just a dumb statement because why in the hell would McMahon bring Russo back into the creative team if that was the only thing he came up with? He obviously came up with a lot more and laid out the storyline to the full extent (He talks about everything that lead up to his return and how he and McMahon talked about the Bischoff storyline in the "get in the ring" audio interview he did.) I don't think we'll ever know what Russo's whole storyline was and what he did come up with and didn't. The DX-stuff might have been his idea. It does strike me as weird that a writing team which hasn't been able to produce any quality television for the past year all of a sudden started doing these big angles and swerves (like HHH turning on HBK.) And that's the kind of television Russo is known to write.

And I just want to clear my stance on Russo - his track record speaks for itself. His run in WCW was a disaster. Did I enjoy some of the shows that he did in WCW? Yeah, I did but that's just my opinion. But the bottom line is that he seemed like he was losing his mind in WCW and I won't deny that. I'm not gonna blame it on politics because I don't know what went on behind the scenes so I shouldn't be judging. His run in the WWF, however, featured the highest ratings that a wrestling company has ever gotten. During the Ministry storyline (which everyone chastised Russo for) the rating hit a above a seven on two occasions. The WWE has never reached the heights that they did when Russo was writing TV. Don't me wrong, I'm not saying that it was just Russo that was responsible. IT was the whole team but the team is obviously not as good without Russo just like Russo wasn't as good without the team. But the bottom line is that he did write television during the time that the ratings were the highest they've ever been - point, blank, period. So just like Jerry Jarret said - Russo is 50/50 so far. And I'm confident that the team of Jerry Jarret/Jeff Jarret/Vince Russo can produce quality television.

Guest Tony149

First off, people need to understand not all the shows will be excellent. You might have 4 great weeks, followed by a good week. That doesn't mean everything will suck because one guy is brought in.

As for match times...geez! Good wrestlers will overcome short match times. Unless the X-Division matches start finishing in under 10 minutes, then complain.

As for Russo's WWE idea...he suggested Bischoff come in as a "Consultant" to WWE. That would lead into the return of WCW.

If WCW returns and it looks like it's starting to go that...then they're using his "big" idea, which helped get him demoted.

Guest converge241

"It wasn't confirmed on 1wrestling or anything like that. So until I see some proof (from a site that usually is right-on w/news like 1wrestling)"

this is a joke right? 1popup is not exactly the most reliable. sure he gets some scoops but I would rank it 3rd at best behing Observer and Torch, coming from someone whose been in the game a while..maybe even 4th behind Wrestling Classics.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I know everyone hates on 1wrestling...and with good reason when it comes to the WWE.

But isn't their affiliation with TNA much closer?

Guest Downhome
I know everyone hates on 1wrestling...and with good reason when it comes to the WWE.

But isn't their affiliation with TNA much closer?

Yes, Scherer, Ryder, or one of those guys works backstage and on their website I do believe.

Guest Downhome

By the way, I have nothing against 1wrestling, so I wasn't agreeing with you on that, lol.