TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HollywoodSpikeJenkins

The ONE and ONLY NWA TNA Week 6 thread

Guest The Pessimistic Optimist

The show was off and on. The Amazing Red and Lo-Ki started it off right only to lose the momentum to the Hot Shots against Chris Harris and his cowboy partner (I forget his name). The rest of the card seemed to alternate between building up the crowd and letting the air out of their sails.

I liked the show although every interview seemed to last a little too long.

I think the moment of the night goes to Stan and Bo Dupp for their "All you have to do to get a match is bump into someone" scheme.

Good night of tv, I just hope they fix the mics for next week.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I'll likely do a formal wrap up later...

but here's some quick thoughts:

1. K-Krush is awesome.

2. I was somewhat impressed with Monty Brown. He's got a good look, good mic skills, and he knows how to execute the few moves he knows. That's a good start.

3. Red is awesome. That was my first time seeing him...and the Red vs. LowKi match showed me things I had never seen before.

4. Disco Inferno is hilarious.

5. Russo had zero smut...and the backstage stuff was hilarious.

6. The Dupps should stay in the backstage are and cut their 3 minute promo every week...no more wrestling.

7. Styles/Lynn vs. The Elvises managed to further 2 storylines...and be good.

8. Simond Diamond and Johnny Swinger shouldn't have jobbed to a team that broke up immediatly afterwards.

9. The Main Event needed an ending...although I can understand why they would do a cliffhanger ending...and they were running out of time.

10. If I'm not mistaken...next week should be AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels for the X title. I AM SO THERE.

Guest Raven_Effect01
Well...

the show ran out of steam for the last half hour...but I was really into the first hour and a half.

I feel the same way. The matches I liked were Red vs. Lo Ki and The Flying Elvises vs. Styles & Lynn. Other than that, the main-event finish between Sabu and Shamrock was total bullshit. Malice steals the belt when he's not in the match, walks away with it, and as soon as Jeremy Borash(when the screen goes black) begins to announce who won as a result of that finish, we get no answer? That's Russo booking for you, ugh.

Guest RedJed

First off, I thought the new arena made for a more oldschool and exciting feel/look to the show. The fans were more audible and everything looked well even though it was in such a small venue. I could care less that they got rid of pyro and stuff, if anything I think thats a good thing. I still think they need to work harder on better entrance music because it comes across extremely generic.

The show itself didn't live up to what I was expecting. Basically I thought it wasn't worse than last weeks show as a whole, the opener made this almost worth the 10 bucks to me.

Opening angle w/ Jarrett just seemed repetitive to me. We get the point already with him. Seemed very reminiscent of certain angles the WWF have done this past year in just repeating things over and over to the point where its hardly going anywhere (Off the top of my head for example, the numerous squashes to the Hardys and Maven from Taker). Audio during this and a few other segments were god awful, BTW.

The best part by far of the show was Low-Ki and Red. The crowd was heavy into the match and rightfully so. Best under 10 minute match I may have ever seen on ppv. Lots of innovative stuff I have never even come close to seeing in the ring. ****1/2, would go with ***** if it had more time.

Tag match with that stupid Midnight Express wannabee team was pretty bland. What the hell was that crap one of the guys was saying before the match?? I don't get why this team and guys like Harrison (more on him later) get air time when there are a ton of other guys who deserve it more. **

Lawler-Apolo flat out sucked, Lawler needs to either be let go or do something that makes me give a damn about him......and copying/ripping on his father isn't it. Hope this didn't hurt Apolo's push because he is way better than what was put out here. Match felt like it was in slo-mo. 1/2*

I thought the K-Krush-Monty Brown promos were something else. Two weeks now and alot of guys have stepped it up big time on the mic. This could be the first feud with major heat and importance in the company if played right.

Interesting how they have gone with the Styles-Lynn feud. I am thinking they saw the response last week and have decided to go with Styles turning on Lynn down the road here, in due time. Makes sense since I think Styles could make an good heel since he plays the oldschool "growing up" babyface so well, that he could play off of that as being naive and full of himself.

Match w/ the Elvises wasn't as good as it could have and should have been. It's pathetic with this Sonny Siaki deal.....most of the time you couldn't even hear what he said anyway. He talks in monotone also which doesn't help him much. Big thing of this match was the gusher from Lynn, man did he get some color. They seem to really be working hard on building up this feud with Lynn and Styles which is good. Match went too long though even though they had a story going there. Delivery (which was a major problem with this show overall) could have been better. There was just something missing here which hurt the match from being your typical X division greatness. ** 1/2

Ugh, why did they bring Disco in? And why were fans cheering him? I just can't stand the guy for some reason, but I guess seeing him do this talk show deal is better than him in the ring. He's borderline annoying announcing too, so this works if he has to be here.

The tag match with Diamond and Swinger was ok, at least fast. I hope they keep them around. The angle afterward was ok with Skipper holding Brown so Krush could attack him. I was thinking turning Skipper during the match would have made more sense, with a Diamond/Skipper win. *

They should have scrapped this next match because it really sucked (right up there with the Cheex match from week 2) and they only had 20 or so minutes left til they had to sign off the ppv, which should have went to the ME. Harrison is green and the Dupps aren't much better. Complete waste of time.....killed off heat for the ME. NO STARS

ME didn't deliver much at all, partly due to them having to somewhat rush things because of time constraints and then because of the botched finish. I hope we see a rematch with these two down the road because I know they can do way better than this. Horrible booking and planning here on numerous levels. What was messed up was that instead of playing Malices music to call for the run-in, we got Shamrocks. WTF. Or was Shamrock supposed to grab the belt, thus cueing the music? In any regard, the finish was so fucked up it was downright embarrassing and made the company look really minor league. Bad way to end the show.

The crap with the security all night was pretty lame, but made sense since they were getting killed by Jarrett week after week. Goldilocks continues to be one of the more promising non-wrestlers of the company. On a postive note, there was no midgets or women's angles/matches this week which was good. Not really looking forward to next week seeing how the show ended though. Steamboat will "be in charge" on the show next week which pretty much guarantees he will get beat down by Jarrett. I certainly would mark out though if he wrestled Jarrett next week, but I doubt will happen.

Guest Human Fly

K-Krush or "The Truth" or whatever his name is now was great tonight. It's too bad that when he was in WWF he got saddled with the Road Dogg, I'm glad he's getting his chance here. His segment was good with Monty Brown. BTW, K-Krush knows how to duck a clothesline better then anyone else I've seen.

Sonny Siaki is great, don't mess with him he's perfected the abdominal stretch.

If Disco Inferno is going to wrestle, that's fine. But, I don't really want to have to see some interview segment every week. I'd rather they save that for a tv show and keep the ppv time for matches.

Ian Harrison was perfect as a bodyguard type. His match was OK, at least it was kept short. His segment with Jarrett was great though. In the span of 30 seconds we heard a Ian Harrison referred to as "Joe Steroid" (I think he said Joe) and then Jeff Jarrett called a "wanker". It doesn't get any better then that.

Opening match was great, I would've loved for it to go a little longer, but it was still really good.

Tag match was very good as well. What's not to like about someone bleeding hardway from the nose after getting decimated by a kick? Speaking of bleeding Jerry Lynn looked like he severed an artery. When Disco was talking about him I was hoping that Jerry Lynn would walk up behind him still covered in his blood and go crazy. Styles was very impressive. I wish I would've seen the X title round robin match.

This was my first week ordering TNA and it was well worth the money. If anyone is thinking about whether or not they should order they should do it.

Guest massivHEDtrauma

Wow. I must say I am completely shocked. Unfortunately, due to some work that I had to get done, I wasn't able to watch TNA this week, and I am totally regretting it now. Sounds like the show was off the frickin' hook to me. And I'm so very very VERY happy that Russo isn't doing his traditional shock TV shit, even though he doesn't have a network telling him he cannot do stuff. I mean, honestly, I thought he would just go hog wild without execs telling him to tone it down. Anyways, I'll definitely get it next week, just on the strength of what everyone is saying about this show.

Guest cabbageboy

Am I the only one who thought this show sucked hard after the opener? That match was so cool I watched it again afterwards, but man the rest was rough going. The tag title match was ok but seemed to lack something. There seemed like a lot of bad indy style wrestlers on this show like those two dudes in the blue tights (who are they?). I mean, this one guy did the handspring elbow and a split legged moonsault, ripping off Tajiri and RVD back to back. It reeked of "I watch cool wrestlers and try their spots."

I will say K Krush is great on the mic but this is a PPV, and I want to see wrestling. The Disco stuff next week troubles me for that same reason. I don't want to get a PPV to see Disco run his mouth.

Main event was really disappointing. I was hoping for a great finish like Sabu being near the title but Shamrock putting the ankle lock on him, thus Sabu taps on top of the ladder. What we got was that horrible Malice crap.

Thus, I loved the opening match but it really hurt the show overall since no one else remotely wrestled on that level. It should have been saved for near the end.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Sonny-Siaki-at-the-Announcer's-Table

"I-am-Sonny-Siaki.Yes,Sonny-Siaki,the-leader-of-the-Flying

Elvises.The-members-of-the-Flying-Elvises-include-me,Sonny

Siaki-and-2-other-guys.You-know,that-was-a-great-move

by-one-of-the-Flying-Elvises,but-Sonny-Siaki-does-it

much-better.Hey-Tenay,did-you-know-that-I,Sonny-Siaki

taught-him-that-move?Sonny-Siaki-just-had-to-help

the-Flying-Elvises-cause-they-can't-get-the-job-done

right.If-Sonny-Siaki-was-in-that-Ring-he-would-have

done-the-job-done-right.Hey!Shut-up,Tenay!pay

attention-to-Sonny-Siaki."

Now-how-many-times-did-I-say-Sonny-Siaki?

Guest El Satanico

Doesn't sound bad. I got to start remembering to catch the replay or even the original showing. I've missed it the last three weeks.

But it's nice to hear that Russo isn't being allowed to do too much typical Russo style stuff. A few of the finishs sounded like Russo's work but at least he's not using a bunch of sleazy shit and midgets.

But it does sound like they need to organize the layout of the show better. Seems to need organized better so that the good stuff evens out the iffy matches and segments. I know they wanted to get the audience going so Low Ki/Red was a good choice as the first match. However they should've put the Dupp vs. Ian Harrison and the Hot Shots vs. James Storm/Chris Harris matches on first so they wouldn't had killed the momentum of the show. Sure the crowd may have still been cold after those opening matches but better then midway into the show. Also even if Low Ki vs. Red was the third match they still would've got the crowd going and they'd probably keep the momentum for the rest of the show.

Concerning the finish to the main event. Yeah it would've been nice to seen an actual ending. However no one believed that Sabu would win the match so the whole cliffhanger thing isn't that bad in this case.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

That is an excellent point.

Sabu had no chance...and hell...this way he didn't even have to lose.

So if they have him on again...it doesn't hurt him.

Guest dpac

i have seen every show so far, week 6 may not have been the best one so far but there was a great deal good work and angle building. it is too bad they had to move into a barn. red and loki was great, sabu and shamrock was going good until the bad finish/bad entrance(malice with the lights going off too soon). i found the truths interview to be his greatest acclomplishiment this far in the business. i just hope more people order the shows to keep nwa alive. this past wwe ppv was the first wwe ppv i have not seen live in 9 years. by the looks of it i may not order another wwe ppv unless they can grab my attention again, which i doubt. hate to schill nwa, but fans of wrestling need to help keep the nwa/tna alive.

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

This "Stone Cold Jeff Jarrett" thing is getting tiresome...

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

It was 5 minutes of the show...half of which was centered on Shamrock beating up security...not JJ.

Guest Zack Malibu

Hey bps, good call on the Elvis angle. I'm sure that next week, we'll get some type of angle advancement on Siaki's defection, since it was Yang and Estrada that lost the shot at the belts, and it wasn't "all about Siaki".

The only complaint I have (and it's not really a complaint, moreso a suggestion) is that NWA doesn't overkill the "tag teams that hate each other/split after a few matches" storylines. While it is working tremendously (Styles/Lynn and Elvises), they shouldn't water those angles down with Harris/Storm or Skipper/Brown turn angles. Quality over quantity.

Guest nikowwf

wow, you people are more into NWA this week than me. I thought it was bad. I liked two matches (gee, guess which ones) and I was bored a lot of the rest of the time. The Stone Cold jarrett stuff just bites so hard.

I kind of wish I saw as much good as some of you do....but the last two weeks really don't make me want to order next week.

niko

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I loved the psychology Yang used in the tag match vs. Styles. Styles comes off for a springboard turn-around crossbody, and Yang backs up and sticks out a knee. Throughout the rest of the match, Yang and Estrada worked on Styles' midsection and lower back, trying to knock the wind out of him for a pin. Makes great sense, and I'm surprised some of you didn't pick up on it...

LowKi/Red, if it was longer, would have gotten about ****1/2 from me. As-is, it got ***1/2, simply because of its length (I think a match needs to be 10-minutes at least to qualify for ****). Red definitely reminds me of Mikey Whipwreck, which is a great thing since I'm a mark for Mikey.

Guest jtronx

We watched NWA TNA last night for the first time and will totally get it again. Even when the work was bad, the matches were still entertaining, and the good work was [/i]very good. It's always a pleasure to hear Mike Tenay. I just wish they'd kept the interviews and promos to 'pretaped segments.'

Oh, and I thought the whole segment with the Dupps and Goldilocks was better than 90% of similar backstage nonsense we've seen on WWE lately.

Guest Austin3164life

I haven't watched any NWA-TNA shows, yet I have been hearing good reviews and I've heard it's a more solid show than WWE. I've read mostly every result and I'm glad that storylines in NWA are progessing better and better. Russo's hiring was a good thing because you know he'll book things well. I just hope NWA gets a tv deal with USA, because then you'll see sparks flying in the pro-wrestling world.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

It would definitely be worth watching on cable or free tv.

I have been thinking about the ppv show...and the way I look at whether it is worth the money or not is this:

After every show I think about what I saw and whether it was better than 1/3 or 1/4 of a WWE ppv is. That's what the price pretty much works out too...give or take 5 bucks.

I haven't seen one show that wasn't better than 1/3 or 1/4 of a WWE show...I am starting to think its a pretty darn good deal.