TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Rick Jones

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Okay, I was browsing through the Association thread and saw his name pop-up. I just have a couple of questions about him.

Why was he such an intergral part of the Incredible Hulk?

Did he have any sort of special abilities to speak of?

About all I remember of him is when he joined that merc outfit during the X-Factor/Hulk crossover(and if I find the damn comic, I'll edit this so I don't look like such an idiot).

Guest gthureson

Bruce Banner is a brilliant gamma physicist overseeing the test of an experimental gamma bomb in the Nevada desert.   Nearby, a hippy on a motorbike decides to take a short cut, and showing no respect for government property, ignores the 'Danger' signs with typical 60s hippyness, and proceeds on his merry way.

Banner notices this, and tries to have the test stopped.  They cannot, and so brave Dr. Banner races out with a jeep to try and get the hippy to safety.   Though the hippy is like all 'I won't bow to your imperialist dogma, egghead!', Banner pushes him to safety in a sufficiently deep ravine.   Brave Dr. Banner, however, is caught in the open and gets bombarded by deadly gamma rays.

However, they do not kill him...and I think you know the rest from there.

The hippy was Rick Jones.

Guest Sassquatch

Pissed,

The issues you are looking for are Incredible Hulk #390-392 with X-Factor #76.

Rick Jones was the living embodiement of a comic book fanboy.

He got to live the life that most fanboys would have loved to live.

The most obvious is being married to a hot red-head model who will give you head wherever you want and is your soul mate.

And I guess helping save the world is okay...

Guest gthureson

Rick occassionally gets powers, but they never last.

He was 'Teen Hulk' for a bit in an accident that ended up creating the Grey Hulk.

I think he may have been Captain Universe once.  Don't hold me to that.

Rick is the professional sidekick.  He's kicked for Hulk, Captain Marvel and Captain America.

Rick is the man, as far as sidekicks go.

Guest Judas14

<Why was he such an intergral part of the Incredible Hulk?>

Rick Jones is responsible for Bruce Banner becoming the Incredible Hulk having been on the test field when the Gamma Bomb went off. If it wasn't for him being there, Bruce Banner would never have been hit by the Gamma Radiation and never become the Hulk.

<Did he have any sort of special abilities to speak of?>

Yes and no. During the Kree/Skull War it was revealed that Rick Jones has the dominant telepath gene that when activated grants Rick Jones telepathic powers beyond that of Professor X and the rest of the X-Men telepaths. According to Avengers Forever, all humans possess this gene but that they don't know how to access this power and that in several centuries this humanity will all have telepathic powers as part of their genetic birthright. It's also revealed that humanity will use this newfound power for evil and that because various factions fear that Rick having this power would create a chain event where the rest of humanity might find out and start using this power, Rick constantly gets mindfucked so that he never use this power....

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Damn.... thanks a lot, guys. I'd forgotten about most of this stuff and had never read the the developments of the Kree/Skrull War, so I basically missed most of that bit.

Again, thanks for all the info.

On a side note, I finally did find those issues(damn dirty ass room).