TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest thefrenchargel

Best Side Project

Guest thefrenchargel

I suppose this is pretty similar to the best solo career thing, but side projects are often going on when a member of a band is still in the band, as opposed to leaving it, so that makes it a little different in my book.

my vote goes to Down. The ultimate side project, with every member of the band being in a more prominent band. Whip-ass blues metal inspired by bands inspired by Sabbath. If you haven't heard their album "Nola," for the love of god get the thing. Down II is pretty good as well, IMO, but to attempt to top that first CD is madness. For those looking for downloads, try to find

eye of the south

stone the crow

bury me in smoke

lifer

my favorite tracks on the first album. Stained Glass Cross is my favorite track off the second one. Sounds a lot like Deep Purple.

Anyway, any other notable side projects people fell worthy of mention? GZR, A Perfect Circle, Six Feet Under maybe....?

Guest TUS_02

Uh, would Faith No More count? since Patton DID work with Bungle first, AND still recorded tracks for Bungle while with FNM. Even if that doesn't count, my nod would still go to Tomahawk and/or Fantomas.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I don't think Six Feet Under counts as a side project at all, because the members of SFU left their previous bands and formed SFU. It really doesn't matter, because they still suck ass, but hey...

My favorite side project is Superjoint Ritual, mainly because it seems like old-school shred-style Pantera as opposed to the recent rock n' roll-ish Pantera.

Dammit, Phil is always in cool bands...

As for Down, I'm not really a fan of them...they combine Corrosion Of Conformity, Crowbard, and Pantera, but then end up sounding like a bad Black Label Society mixed with Alice In Chains.

Guest BottleRocket

Hot Snakes...one of the many side projects from RFTC frontman, John "Speedo" Reis.

Guest Sebastian_the_Bastard

Box Car Racer

Dashboard Confessional (yeah, I like 'em... so what?)

I love you all!!!,

Sebastian the Bastard

Guest The Man in Blak

Actually, I thought the stuff from A Perfect Circle was a nice change of pace for Maynard James Keenan...that'd be my pick.

Guest Nevermortal

Samoth from Emperor's almighty Zyklon, the new kings of Fast Black Metal.

I'd like to state the worst side project is Stone Sour, because they sound exactly like Slipknot, maybe a little less loud.