TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Still Fly

Windows XP

Guest Still Fly

I just had Windows Xp installed onto my computer and it keeps telling me that memory is low or something like that. And its slower than when I had Windows 98. Should I take it off, or defrag, or what?

Guest DrTom

XP hogs a lot more resources than 98 did. You really shouldn't run it on anything below a 450 MHz system with 128 Megs of RAM and a 10 gig hard drive. Check MS' minimum and recommended specs, but I imagine they're similar. I tested it on a 500 MHz system with 256 megs of RAM and a 20 gig hard drive before I put it on my main system. It ran pretty well on the test machine, but it was a lot better when I put it on my faster main PC.

Guest 4Life

Uninstall it or upgrade your hardware. Of course, you won't be able to install your XP software on another computer unless you call Microsoft help line for another code.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

I love Windows XP, as it runs about a million times faster than ME did which was what came with the computer that I got last July. I have a Compaq Presario 800 mhz AMD Duron with 128mb memory and a 40 gb hard drive. Compaq told me that technically it wasn't Window's XP Compatable (which was a load of BS..they just wanted to sell me a new computer after I just bought one a couple months earlier..like Im stupid or something..) but I went ahead and got the upgrade version and did the upgrade in about 3 hours. Honestly, Im quite glad that I did. Anyway, the official minimum requirements from Microsoft for Win XP (Home Edition) are :

CPU 300 MHz Pentium Class or Compatible

RAM 128 MB

Disk Space 1.5 GB free

Video Card Super VGA (800x600)

Media CD-ROM or DVD

Now, I would love to see someone running XP on a 300mhz machine. I wonder if XP would be slower than 98 on a 300mhz machine?

From what I hear, you are safe with anything over 500, although at that level you need at least double the recomended RAM. I could benefit a bit from a RAM upgrade on my machine, but its running fine like it is so I won't mess with it.

And stay away from the Service Pack upgrade, I hear its EVIL or something..

Guest DrTom

"And stay away from the Service Pack upgrade, I hear its EVIL or something.. "

Actually, it's the Media Player upgrade people are decrying as evil, since part of the EULA basically allows MS to add any future updates to your computer automatically. Sorry, but I don't want Bill Gates to be an admin on my system. I think going thru Windows Update for the service pack avoids that problem, but if you manually download it, you get the more byzantine EULA.

Guest VillanoVII

I'm running it on a 500mhz HP Pavillion 6630 with 256mb ram and a 10gig hard drive. It works fine for me.