TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karnage

Movies that critics panned..

Guest Karnage

Well what are some movies that the Critics ripped on but you liked?

Mallrats is one and I haven't seen Freddy Got Fingered yet but it feels like I'm gonna like it since I'm such a Tom Green Mark.

Guest Youth N Asia

Mallrats of course

ID4...for what the movie was it was good...and I was younger and saw it on the big screen...at the time I really liked it.

Guest jimmy no nose

I actually at least liked every movie mentioned thus far. They just aren't movies that are meant for critics to enjoy really.

Guest massivHEDtrauma

As I remember, Vanilla Sky was pretty much dissed. That was my favorite movie of 2001.

Guest Vyce

I second Dirty Work. Norm McDonald is underrated.

A movie I liked this summer that got some bad reviews was "Reign of Fire". But then, I'm a big dragon fan.

Guest Angle-plex

There are to many films to mention. Every one mentioned so far is true though. I also like a lot of Van Damme's older movies. :)

Guest bob_barron
I second Dirty Work. Norm McDonald is underrated.

A movie I liked this summer that got some bad reviews was "Reign of Fire". But then, I'm a big dragon fan.

It's Macdonald not McDonald

Guest Youth N Asia

Shit...forgot BASEketball

I saw that opening night...there were about a half dozen people there.

Movie only made like $2 million opening weekend.

I also liked the Ace Ventura movies

Guest The Electrifyer
I also like a lot of Van Damme's older movies. :)

I agree, I just love action films with tonnes of fighting. Screw the storylines, sometimes I just wanna see someone's ass get kicked.

Guest Still Fly

"Like Mike" I'm sorry, but I have a thing for Bow Wow. I'm fascinated by him, but I'm not really a fan. And that movie was pretty cute... :rolleyes:

Guest C.H.U.D.

Pretty much every film I like gets panned by the critics. Probably best examples would be Freddy Got Fingered and Hard Target.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

"South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut "

I don't recall one bad review of this movie.

Guest J*ingus

To this day, I don't understand why all the critics were so hard on Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. It was an extremely faithful adaptation of the book, and Depp played Hunter S. perfectly.

Guest C.H.U.D.
"South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut "

I don't recall one bad review of this movie.

That is fairly accurate. South Park got an 85% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

I would hardly call that a "critical panning".

Guest Nevermortal

BASEketball! Definitely. I saw it on opening night and laughed my ass off from start til finish, bought it the day it came out on video.

Why the fuck did that flop? It ruled so goddamn much....ah, the Summer of 1999, truly my best one.

Guest evenflowDDT

Full Moon movies, anyone?

Also, I just saw Nurse Betty today, despite the recommendations of everyone NOT to. I actually liked it a lot... Renee Zelweger (can you believe she's one of my favorite actresses and I STILL can't spell her name?) is just so sweet in that movie, you almost want to cry at how poorly she gets treated. I think the ending was B.S. though.

Guest godthedog

i hate michael bay & i think jerry bruckheimer is the devil, but somehow i loved 'armageddon' when i saw it. i have no idea how, but it happened.

Guest Redhawk

Before hip-hop went mainstream, critics used to pan pretty much any Black movie that came out. I remember reading bad reviews for Boyz in Tha Hood, Menace II Society, and some other movies that ended up being really good. I guess they just didn't "get it."

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

What idiot said avoid Nurse Betty?

That was one of my favorite movies.

Guest cabbageboy

Here's one no one has mentioned: Bonfire of the Vanities. It gets a BOMB in nearly every book I've seen but I actually liked it.

Mallrats of course, which has been mentioned.

It's funny someone should bring up Fear and Loathing since it has been on one of the Starz channels nonstop this past month. My brother has become obsessed with it and watches it all the time! Personally I thought the movie was about **1/2. The first hour or so is really great and I laughed my ass off (***1/2 for that) but by the 2nd half I figured out that there was no real plot and nothing much was going to happen aside from heavy drug use and acid trips (*1/2 for that). It evens out to about **1/2. Certainly not a BOMB though, which is what Maltin gives it.