TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jericholic82

Favorite Sports Movie

Guest Jericholic82

So what are some of your favs?

I personally like "The Scout" with Brendan Fraser and Albert Brooks.  It is a really funny movie.  My favorite part is probably when Steve (Fraser's charcter) throws plates out the window at reporters

"Al: What are you doing Steve?

Steve: Throwing plates"

And then Steve goes to a Tony Bennet concert and starts singing his song, later at the world series, tony sing sth national anthem, then walks up to steve and says

"You wanna sing this one for me too?"

Hilarious.

I thought The Replacements was kinda funny, like whne the team is in jail and they strat dancing, the coach comes and they stop, but the deaf guy keeps dancing cuz he can't hear lol

and then they are auditioning cheerlaeaders and the strippers try out

"Cheerleader: So what style of dancing do you know?

Stripper: Uh? is lap dancing a style?"

lol

reply please

Guest Army Eye

The Scout has a few funny parts, but I actually mentioned it in the Most Ridiculous Sports Movies thread.  I could not believe how incredibly, horribly bad the ending was.  And I didn't like how most of the movie teased that Fraser's character had some kind of terrible trauma in his life and then never revealed what it was.

My favorite sports movie is Major League.  So damn funny.  Don't even think about watching the sequels though

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

I cant pick just one sports movie in general, so I'll pick by sport.

Football: Rudy and Remember the Titans for serious movies, and Waterboy for Comedy.

Baseball: Any one of the Costner Trilogy, my favorite is For Love of the Game.  I never liked any of the Major Leagues for some reason.

Hockey: Mystery, Alaska

Basketball: Celtic Pride because basketball is boring and this was at least funny

Racing: Days of Thunder, and I actually liked Driven although it was very *Hollywoodized*

Golf: Happy Gilmore, basically because I also find Golf boring and it was funny as well

Bowling: Kingpin, see Golf and Basketball

Tennis: Uh...I cant count the one where the guy was getting tennis *lessons* from this blonde, can I..?

Guest treble charged

61* is the best sports movie I've ever seen.  I hate the Yankees, but watching that movie made me feel that maybe, in another time, I could have actually liked them.  That's scary

Guest Redhawk

Blue Chips

Rudy

The Program

He Got Game

Rocky 1, 2, 3, and 4

Any Given Sunday

The Sandlot

Guest Crazy Dan

I actually have few of them, but in no particuoar order:

Remember the Titans

Hoosiers

Breaking Away

Bull Durham

The Karate Kid(the end tournament qualifies this movie IMO)

Major League

Guest Army Eye

Yeah, Caddyshack is great.  I find it hard to think of it as a sports movie, that's all (it's friggin GOLF)  :)

Guest AaronRock70

Rudy has quite possibly the best ending of any sports movie I have ever seen. Or maybe I'm a pussy.

Major League is great too...

"What league you been playing in?'

"California penal"

I enjoyed The Replacements even though it was cliche, insulting, and unbelievable.

Guest Brooding Genius

Two words for all of you guys:

"The Natural."

And whoever said that "Mystery, Alaska" was the best hockey movie should be slapped.  That was like watching an episode of Ally McBeal at an ice rink.

Guest Anorak

'Escape To Victory' is probably my favourite, it doesn't get better than beating the Nazi's at football. Pele and Bobby Moore on the same team as Sylvestor Stallone and Michael Caine is just classic. The film's basically a fantasy football version of 'The Great Escape' with the Allied team pulling off a famous victory and puting one over the Germans. The best moments are Pele's net busting bicycle kick and Sly's classic penalty save. It might not be an epic piece of filmmaking for most sane people but i think it carries a really true message that sport can bring people together and give them something to believe in during the worst of times (WW2 for example). Their spirit and presence in a sense liberates the french people in the crowd. It also defines that football is the game which can do this like no other and is why it is, like Pele famously called it, 'The Beautiful Game'. The way the Allied team play their free flowing football is like a universal language which draws admiration from both opponents and neutrals. The great example of this is when Max Von Sydow's German Officer defiantly rises to applaud the skill and courage of the Allied team to the bemusement of his fellow German leaders.