TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Czech Republic

WWE's Studio Shows

Guest The Czech Republic

I'm writing in regard to WWE's "studio" programs, Confidential, The Bottom Line, and AfterBurn. The latter two are the WWE syndicated shows, which recap the bigger shows.

However, these shows are awful. I'll occasionally tune into Bottom Line over on WCIU if I missed Raw, but really, the show should be improved. Of course, the shows are just filler, but who says they can't be improved? I think if you're going to broadcast a show, whether it's network, cable, or syndication, you need to give people a reason to watch it. Advertisement for the shows are nonexistent.

First thing I would change is the set. The one right now looks like a few little screens in some black void. They should use a set like the old Worldwide one, with a desk and a television behind them. For a backdrop, I would use backlit frosted glass panels like the ones now, but maybe 8 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Having two hosts would help as well. This way, the events being recapped can be discussed, explained, etc.

The shows need extra features besides just showing what happened on Raw or SmackDown or behind-the-scenes clips of WWE stars filming commercials. Maybe a "classic match of the night" like Excess did pre-split, or interviews with wrestlers that drop in at the studio.

I don't know if this is relevant at all, Kevin Dunn doesn't seem to think so. But I believe that the syndicated shows could benefit from some sprucing up. Ideally, a wrestling fan should want to watch all the shows being broadcasted.

Guest RicFlairGlory

I wish WWE would have a half hour or hourlong show where they show old matches. Period. Just old matches. Give me '89 through '97 or so, cut out the DX/ Attitude stuff altogether, and just give me the good stuff.

Shit they own all the old WCW/NWA stuff, show us some old flair too

WWE Classic or some shit like that, like ESPN Classic.

I'd watch it every single week religiously

Guest The Czech Republic

I think they should also reair the three installments of Bobby Heenan Show on Confidential.

Guest TheRockIsTheEuropeanChampion

Those are really good ideas. It would be great for fans (like me) that missed all of that stuff.

I'd also like to see re-airings of SNME, or some of the other really old shows. Or maybe play some of those "lounge" type segments (like Piper's Pit)...

Stupid WWE. Why won't they put their huge tape library to use and make some damn money?

Guest SlowChemical6

"Confidential" is good, but only when they have a good story to cover. They've gotten lucky so far with the Austin, Bulldog, Bischoff, and HBK stories.

"Afterburn" and "Bottom Line" should be substituted for a WWE and a WCW classics show. It would be an education for the newer fans and a treat for the hardcore fans. Vince spent hundreds of thousands on that WCW library, and so far the only use that he has gotten out of it is throwing a few matches on a couple of DVD releases.

Guest The Czech Republic

I think BL/AB still need to recap, but classic matches from both feds should definitely be used. To own WCW/NWA from '88 to its demise, and the many many years of WWWF, WWF, and WWE, and hardly utilize it is a shame. So here's my fantasy-booked Bottom Line. How pathetic.

Hosted by the Coach and Jim Cornette

Segment 1: Raw recap(done in a whirlwind fashion, hitting on each important match, promo, etc), subsequent discussion of the show (8 mins)

Segment 2: fluff piece on superstar (4 mins)

Segment 3: in-studio interview with wrestler (6 mins)

Segment 4: more Raw recap (8 mins)

Segment 5: classic match (10-15 mins)

Segment 6: fluff piece (3 mins)

How would you book the syndies?

Guest Si82
WWE Classic or some shit like that, like ESPN Classic.

I'd watch it every single week religiously

We in the UK do actually get a program called WWE Classics. It's basically old episodes of Wrestling Challange. It's up to 1988, just after Wrestlemania IV with Macho Man Randy Savage as WWF Champion. It's usually pretty good and we've had some good stuff since they shown it here in the UK since 2000. Those Outback Jack skits were funny as hell, in a wrestlecrap kinda way. At the moment Hacksaw Jim Duggan is fueding with Andre The Giant who has just gotten back with Bobby Henan. I missed it yesterday though. :(

Guest The Electrifyer

I doubt they will change Bottom Line and Afterburn, those two shows are only there for one reason, to recap there shows. But I just think that they need to stay exclusive to there brands, I remember seeing some Raw stuff on Afterburn before and that doesn't make this "competition" thing seem realistic.

As for Confidential, I think they should cut out some of there crappy stories like the Bradshaw/Big Show and Bradshaw/Linda Miles game of horse and bring back "The Vault" with full matches. For instance, when Chris Benoit won the IC title, they could feature some of his classic matches in WCW or ECW.

Guest TheRockIsTheEuropeanChampion
For instance, when Chris Benoit won the IC title, they could feature some of his classic matches in WCW or ECW.

Did they buy the ECW tape library? I havn't heard about it...

Guest DokDoyle
For instance, when Chris Benoit won the IC title, they could feature some of his classic matches in WCW or ECW.

Did they buy the ECW tape library? I havn't heard about it...

Not yet, The Video game company (Acclaim) owns the ECW videos so far.

Guest Invader3k

How come England gets the kick ass WWE Classics show but we here in the US (and Canada, etc) do not? Is there any real reasoning behind this, or is WWE just being stupid (as usual)?

Theres probably no reasoning behind it at all.

However, they could be trying to make up for the fact that we have to wait 4 days for raw and 2 days for smackdown (we get them on Fri and Sat nights respectively). But its unlikely that they would be concerned about that.

Dont be too quick to complain though :-), because dont forget on top of having to wait for raw and smackdown, we also have to wait up until about 1am in the morning to watch PPV's live, and we dont get any decent shows/ppv's (with title changes) taking place over here in Engalnd anymore.

ChUnK

Guest Jobber of the Week

Sure enough there is:

http://international.wwe.com/uk.htm

National WWE Classics Sky Sports 1 Thursday, 7 a.m.

I think the reason we'll never see it here is two-fold:

1. The XFL has made just about every media company hesitant of giving Vince any more TV time.

2. The guys on top will be pissed once again if precious airtime is not spent making sure they stay over.

Guest Jobber of the Week

I was pointing out the classics show at the bottom of the page.

But as long as you're getting good matcches... That's what counts, right?

o yeah, i see now.

I guess so, but it doesnt have the same effect when you know the outcome of every title match (as you know a title wont - or is very very very unlikely to - change hands)

ChUnK!