TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vern Gagne

It's on Canada

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

As far as i can see it...there is no reason to claim shenanigans about the refs, the team that deserved to win did win(this time).

with all the scandals and bullshit that goes on at the olympics they should have refs from neutral countries.

although the french girl proved that impartiality only goes to the highest bidder...

Guest Brooding Genius

I tip my hat to Canada.  They outplayed a very sloppy American team.  If it weren't for the incredible play of Mike Richter, it probably would've been 9-2.

McCreary officiated the game quite well.  I don't think anyone on either team was complaining.

The fact that this will be a national holiday in Canada is a little frightening.  Three words to anyone north of the border: Get a grip.

Still, nice game.

Guest gthureson

As part of the deal for the NHL to shut down and allow players to go to the Olympics, the deal was set that any game with more than 50% NHL players would be officiated by NHL refs.

All NHL refs are either Canadian or American.

As far as the women's game goes, I doubt there are that many world-class refs with international big game experience outside of North America.   The only other country into women's hockey big time is Finland.

Guest redbaron51
Can't shut up Canada about this. This is the biggest game ever since 87 against the Soviets, maybe even bigger than against the Summitt Series. This is larger than life.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

alright CANADA! after choking in the olympics for the last 50 years we came through BIG time, man the whole country is going nuts, in the future canadians will still be able to remember where they were when this game happened. kinda like the states when JFK died.

Guest Patrick Screamer

Someone wake me when the Canadian dollar is stronger than the peso. I'd celebrate a hockey game too.

Patrick

Guest starvenger

I thought the CDN dollar was stronger than the peso.  Not by much, mind you, but still...

Anyways, the best sports analogy I can think of is if everyone in the US was a Red Sox fan, and they won the World Series after, what, 70 years?  That's pretty much what you're looking at here.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

for canada it's like winning a war, we love hockey as much as the us loves attacking people (i'm ready to be insulted: bring it!)

Guest The Electrifyer

As big of a Canadian and hockey fan I am, I have a question. How is it that we have not won Olympic hockey gold in 50 years?? Don't the olympics come every 4 years, so shouldn't it be 48 or 52 years??? I don't get it.

Guest starvenger

In 1994 they started staggering the summer and winter Olympics so that there'd be an Olympics of some sort every two years.  Thus, the winter Olympics happened in both 1992 and 1994, and every four years since.

Guest Bruin

Could someone please explain to me the whole importance of Hockey for Canada now? I know dozens of Canadians, and they just plain don't care about it, I'm just curious as to whether they're the exception to the rule of "Canadians Love Hockey" or if they're just crazy.. I mean, whats that aboot? :D

Guest treble charged
Could someone please explain to me the whole importance of Hockey for Canada now? I know dozens of Canadians, and they just plain don't care about it, I'm just curious as to whether they're the exception to the rule of "Canadians Love Hockey" or if they're just crazy.. I mean, whats that aboot?

Bruin, the Canadian population is 30 million.  Over 10 million people in total watched the gold medal game.  That's more than 33% of the population watching one show.  I think its safe to say that you're friends are in the minority.

Guest Brooding Genius
That's more than 33% of the population watching one show.  I think its safe to say that your friends are in the minority.

Um... not to split hairs here, but if 33% of the population is watching the game, 67% wouldn't be.

I haven't been in school for a couple of years, but I'm still pretty sure that 67 > 33.

Unless this is the New Math that I keep hearing about.

Guest starvenger
Could someone please explain to me the whole importance of Hockey for Canada now? I know dozens of Canadians, and they just plain don't care about it, I'm just curious as to whether they're the exception to the rule of "Canadians Love Hockey" or if they're just crazy.. I mean, whats that aboot? :D

Let's use an analogy - do all Americans care about baseball?  

No.  

Well, it's the same in Canada with hockey.  Still, having one-third of the country watch a hockey game is damn impressive.  Is it the majority?  Nope, but it's still a sizable chunk of the populace.

Guest Choken One

Baseball and Hockey have the same admiration in America and Canada for their specific sport. Hockey however draws nothing in America...and Baseball is a worldwide sport...While Hockey is seemigly reduced as a 5 nation sport (Canada,USA,Russia,Sweeden and Jamaica... no not Jamaica but why not?)..yes, 33% is a Minority...however Baseball had the minority of 37 million watching but that's out of 200 millon or whatever ungodly number of people live here and that's not counting the ones we've yet to count in Alabama and Dallas, Tx.