TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

Videos and DVDs

im looking to start a wrestling video and dvd collection. Mainly based around the WWE/WWF.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the best WWE/WWF Videos and DVDs available.

I know theres reviews on the site, but theres so many videos/dvds out there, im really looking for an expert opinion on the essential non-missable ones that every collection should have.

Cheers

ChUnK!

Guest notJames

I don't know if this counts, but the only one I own is Beyond The Mat. If you're a serious fan who loves the ins and outs of the business, both the flashy glamour and the seedy underbelly, then you have to own it. Same goes for Wrestling with Shadows I guess... I haven't seen it yet.

Other than that, it really depends on what you want. Do you want actual PPV shows, or the DVDs centering on a specific wrestler? From what I hear, the Stone Cold ones are usually keepers, as is Foley's Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops.

Guest jimmy no nose

The Wrestlemania 2 disc DVD sets are usually good and are about the same price as any other DVD. Many of the DVDs based on one wrestler are pretty good as well.

ok, thanks! im really looking for a broad collection of all stuf, ppvs and one wrestler stuff.

which other one wrestler vid.dvds are good and which are the killer ppv;s

Ive got some stuf allready but a lot of it is taped from tv.

ChUnK!

Guest notJames

Most of the WWF PPVs from the first half of 2000 are excellent, top to bottom. Check out Scott Keith's rants here and decide which matchups interest you.

I'm not sure what older PPVs are being offered on DVD, but if you can find it, get WM10. If you really love wrestling, you can't go wrong with this (HBK/Razor Ladder Match, Bret/Owen). I hate to sound like a SKeith shill, but here's his "somewhat biased" review. ;)

Avoid WM9. 'Nuff said.

If you haven't seen the first Hell in the Cell, find whatever comp tape it's on. I would tell you just to get the Badd Blood PPV, but the rest of the card isn't really worth it, unless you can find it cheap.

Happy hunting!

Guest jimmy no nose

There's a Hogan DVD out today that should be good, there's Stone Cold "What" which is pretty good, and Triple H "The Game" which I also thought was pretty good.

Guest Nevermortal

Try to get "The Best of Raw 1 & 2". Those DVDs are chock full of extras.

Guest pochorenella

For individual wrestler's DVDs you can't go wrong with Mick Foley's "Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops", maybe the best one there is. Then get Steve Austin's "What!?" DVD (pretty good extras there). And the Hogan one due out today seems to be loaded as well. I'm not a big fan of Undertaker but his DVD has the Hell in the Cell match with Shawn Michaels so that makes it Thumbs Up for me. And I may be in the minority but the Hardy Boyz DVD's got six extra matches and they're all sweet, you can't go wrong there.

I agree that Beyond the Mat is a great buy as well. Get it if you can.

As for compilation stuff, Best of Raw 1 & 2 rises above them all. The Action DVD is good only beacuse of the extras. The main program is kinda boring.

For PPVs: RR2000, WM 2000 (loaded with extras), WM X-7 (the main program's awesome, but the extras are kinda blah), SummerSlam 2001 (Overall great show).

Most other stuff you can just get on video if you want. And for the guy who suggested WM X on DVD: there's no such thing. It's a must-buy on video, though.

thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it!

out of interest are the extra features you all keep talking about only available on dvd's? or are they on the videos at all aswel?

Cheers

ChUnK!

Guest Blue Bacchus

The nWo DVD is pretty f'n sweet as well. Chalk Full of Bonus Match goodness from Dub-Cee-Dub.

Guest Jobber of the Week

I have a bunch of WWE DVDs. I want to get the Hogan one sometime when I can find it at a good price, but I only have so much money right now and I want to see SummerSlam too. Anyway, here's my collection:

Invasion - Only bought it because of the whole "WCW vs WWF" thing. Disc is about as interesting as the PPV, in other words, minimal. Not much work was put into this, and the only extras are backstage cameras. Unless you're some voyeurist who wants to watch Earl Hebner comb his hair or Chris Jericho oil up his manboobs, this whole disc can be avoided.

Mick Foley, Hard Knocks & Cheap Pops: Wow. I mean, wow. I can't give enough props to this one. It can be found for cheap and it's really good. Quite a few extras, most of it 96-98, so if you're like me and started watching around the time that Vince started making himself part of the show, there's good **** quality matches here.

NWO Back in Black: If you never saw their WCW run, this isn't bad. I don't understand why they give as much time to their disasterous WWE run as the give to 96 & 97, but whatever. Rent it instead, if you can.

Triple H - The Game: My Mom (yeah, I know, a mom who watches wrestling :P ) is a huge HHH mark, especially for his pre-quadtear stuff, and I wanted Flair-Steamboat, so yeah...

WM 2000: One of their earliest discs, and it shows. Quality seems kind of bad, but then again, they put the WHOLE FREAKIN' PPV on one disc (thus meaning bad video quality due to compression) along with a bonus of listening to either Angle, Jericho, or Benoit describe their match. The second disc is that big long History of WM thing. That's what makes it well worth it. About 7 hours of STUFF for less money than recent releases.

WM X-Seven: Pretty much the height of the WWF. Pick it up if you can if you never saw the show or remember it as fondly as I do.

WMX8: Bought it for Rock/Hogan. End of story. Comes with the WM6 main event where Warrior goes over Hogan clean. But that's not what's important here.

Guest razazteca

DVD Royal Rumble 2000 for the Cactus Jack vs HHH street fight and Hardys vs Dudleys table match

DVD Undertaker: This Is My Yard, has the bad blood match vs HBK, WM17 vs HHH, Fully Loaded vs Angle and some Kane matches

Summer Slam 2000 has the first TLC match

Guest Si82

I quite like "Before They Were WWF Superstars" DVD. The program is pretty good and the extras are too.As for videos I would recommend all the Stone Cold Steve Austin one's (particually "'Cause Stone Cold Said So", "The Rock: Know Your Role", "The Three Faces Of Foley" and "One Night Only. And if you like in the UK you can get most WWE videos/DVD's at half price from SilverVision.co.uk. They have One Night Only for £4.00, I think!

Guest Karnage

Video stores are sometimes clearancing their old wrestling videos from Coliseum Video, so you can find some good tapes with rare matches for cheap.