TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kingkamala

Nostalgia PPVs

Guest kingkamala

Survivor Series 89 and 90- These are two of the first PPVs I rented on tape most internet writers tend to hate these two tapes, but I love em' both. For 89 I mark out for the King's Court-4x4 match and I really mark out for the Ultimate Warriors-Heenan Family match(God I loved that match as a mark). For 1990 I really like The Warriors-Perfect Team match, the Vipers-Visionaries match and the Dream Team-Million Dollar team match. I marked out crazy for the Grand Finale match. I also thought the Goobeldy Gooker was funny the first few times I saw it(Hangs head in shame). Now onto the WCW side of the spectrum.

Slamboree 96- Another show that's blasted by internet writers, but it was the first WCW PPV I saw and I like it just as much as Great American Bash 96 and Bash at the Beach 96. I really liked the Lethal Lottery and Sting Vs Giant match.

So anyone have some Nostalgia PPV favorites?

Guest Youth N Asia

Survivor Series 90

First ppv I ever saw the night it aried...I remember going to my aunt Sharon's house to see it...

And I thought they introduced the Undertaker as The Undercover

I haven't seen the show since, but I remember it from top to bottom

Guest BionicRedneck

WrestleMania 6. Regardless of the fact that it is shit, i still enjoy it. Its worth watching for the Hogan/Warrior promos and the Gorilla Monsoon line:

"If you hung Valentine for being a good singer...you would have hung an innocent man"

Guest Grenouille

Anything from 1988, WM IV, SummerSlam 88 and Survivor Series 1988. I was the biggest Randy Savage mark that year. I don't know how many times I watched the Macho Madness tape that chronicled that year.

Guest Downhome

Survivor Series '90, Summerslam '90, and Starcade '93. I love going back and watching these PPV's, they just kick as, heheheh.

I'm suprised that out of all of us who have replied so far, three of us have mentioned Survivor Series '90, that is just rather odd to me. :D :D :D

Guest Downhome

I'm watching Summer Slam '90, and I just realized something that I used to love, and now miss. When Hogan was coming out, the camera started at the ring durring his entrance, then zoomed all the way up to Hogan standing at the top of the entrance way. Heh, I think it's cool!

Guest Grenouille
Summerslam 1990 kicks ass!

You can say that again. Add another SummerSlam 90 mark to the list. I have it on the TV next to the computer right now. :)

Guest kingkamala

Call me crazy but the Rude-Warrior cage match ain't half bad in my opinion not as good as there Summerslam 89 encounter or even there Wrestlemania 5 match but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I was pissed when I first saw Summerslam 90 when The Rockers lost to Power and Glory

Guest Downhome

Holy crap, you mean I'm not the only Summerslam '90 mark here, and beyond that, I'm not the only one watching it as I am posting? :o :o :o

Guest Eagan469

Summerslam 1990 OWNS.

It's hands down the most entertaining wrestling PPV ever. I used to rent it all the time when I was a kid, and I haven't seen it recently...

*runs out to rent Summerslam 1990*

Guest Retro Rob

Fall Brawl 1995, but I usually stop playing it by the War Games match. It was the first commercial tape that I bought. Plus it had two KICK-ASS matches totaling about 55 minutes of ****+ wrestling. As far as the WWF is concerned, I like WrestleMania IV because it is a tournament for the title and tournaments are cool. Although I hate Survivor Series 1998, go figure.

Guest bob_barron
Summerslam 1990 OWNS.

It's hands down the most entertaining wrestling PPV ever. I used to rent it all the time when I was a kid, and I haven't seen it recently...

*runs out to rent Summerslam 1990*

Summerslam 90 is why I love Summerslams-

Summerslam 90 is the ultimate "fun show". Sure the wrestling sucks but it just entertains the piss out of me for three hours.

I love everything on that show and Summerslam in general

Guest MillenniumMan831

I've always been MUCHO FOND of WrestleMania 2. I thought the three arena format was awesome. Plus, I'm a battle royal mark and the NFL guys did a heckuva job, especially Bill Fralic. The Animal Steele vs. Randy Savage match still has a soft spot in my heart. The middle two matches from LA had some hilarious selling. Last but not least, Piper's line about quitting tiddly-winks if he got KOed to Mr. T was hysterical!

Guest JMTapes

Survivor Series '90 rules. I also like Series '89, where at the beginning they show the guys in the truck, the ring going up, people filing in, all set to the tune of the Survivor Series theme.

Guest Austin3164life

Wrestlemania 4. Simply for the DiBiase/Savage Main Event. Such a great match between two of my most favorite wrestlers of all time

Wrestlemania 6. I was a huge Warrior mark and I really wanted to see Hogan lose, which he did. I marked like a little ape when Warrior pinned Hogan. Also had the good DiBiase/Jake the Snake match.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Royal Rumble 1991 is very underrated. You've got a damn near ***** opener with the Rockers and the Orient Express. Virgil turning face. A much better than it should be Bossman vs. Warlord match. The rumble is pretty decent, especially to start. Just overlook Slaughter vs. Warrior

Survivor Series 1992 is underrated too. An odd pairing of Flair and Ramon vs. Savage and Perfect. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels best match ever, before they hated each others guts and didn't cooperate well. But then again the rest of the show is mediocre.

For the NWA. I liked Starrcade '88. The ME vs. the OME in a crazy brawl. Sting getting a good match out of the Road Warriors and Dusty Rhodes just on his sheer athleticsm and energy at the time. Rick Steiner beating Mike Rotunda for the T.V. title in a very fun moment. A watchable Windam vs. Bigelow match. And arguably the best Flair vs. Luger match ever, where Luger should have gone over.

Guest ISportsFan

I've always had a guilty pleasure for the Survivor Series 1991 and Tuesday in Texas double-shot.

Sure, the wrestling stinks (except for the opening elimination match at SS and the Bret/Skinner and Savage/Roberts matches at Tuesday in Texas, with maybe DiBiase's tag match at Tues. in Texas being ok), but the feuds were so cool and intertwined and stuff. It's a mark-out 2 show spectacular!

Jason

Guest Mad the Swine

Starrcade '88 for all the reasons mentioned above and the antics of Jim Cornette in the MX-OMX match.

I also loved SuperBrawl I. Blood, blood, blood.

Guest papacita
Royal Rumble 1991 is very underrated. You've got a damn near ***** opener with the Rockers and the Orient Express. Virgil turning face. A much better than it should be Bossman vs. Warlord match. The rumble is pretty decent, especially to start. Just overlook Slaughter vs. Warrior

I haven't seen Rumble 91 in years, but from what I remember, that it was hot. If I had the tape, I'd definitely throw it in here.

As for nostalgia PPV's, I'd hafta say IYH 2 for Michaels and Jarrett, and the "With my Baby Tonight" performance by Double J, SummerSlam 95 or Survivor Series 95. Shit, anything from 95. That was my year.

Also, KOTR 97.

Guest goodhelmet
I've always bees MUCHO FOND of WrestleMania 2. I thought the three arena format was awesome. Plus, I'm a battle royal mark and the NFL guys did a heckuva job, especially Bill Fralic. The Animal Steele vs. Randy Savage match still has a soft spot in my heart. The middle two matches from LA had some hilarious selling. Last but not least, Piper's line about quitting tiddly-winks if he got KOed to Mr. T was hysterical!

Bro, you are my NEW favoite poster. Maybe it's just because this was the first WWF ppv I ever saw or because Ozzy was celebrating the Bulldogs win but I LOVE this show. the wrestling was shit but it is certainly one Ihold dear for nostalgia sake.

I can say the same thing about WM 3. I mark for Beefcake cutting Adonis's hair!!!! Plus, they had some match between Randy Somebodyorother vs. Ricky Whatshisname!

Guest Goodear

I just want to grab the Wrestlemania I main event and hug it to little pieces. Piper and Orndorff make Mr. F'N T look like a freaking actual worker. It's just a brilliant bunch of work plus Orton, Snuka, and ALI! ALI! ALI!!!

Guest nWoScorpion

WWF 1988-1993 is the best era for nostalgia. (less then more in the later years). All Survivor Series' ruled cause you had so much possible combinations (ok, about 12 or 13, but thats still good)

summerslam 1990 is one of the best old school PPV's i can think of.

Marty Jannetty Vs. Power & Glory was great for a handicap match (technically it was rockers/P&G but Michaels was left on the apron to die after the ambush)

Hogan/Quake: Im a hogan fan, nuff said.

Warrior/Rude was good, not as good as SSlam 89 but DEFINITLY better then WM 5. WM 5 was compelte garbage save for 30 seconds.

Foundation/Demolition is never a disapointment and well, Dusty/Sapphire was hilarious.

Guest nWoScorpion

Bossman fought BARBARIAN at RR 91. Warlord is probably the least possible wrestler to have a good match in 1 on 1 matches.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

You're right, it was the Barbarian. My bad. Thanks. Barbarian was part of the Heenan Family at the time and Bobby was feuding with the Bossman through his wreslters. Apperantly Heenan said some off color remarks about BB's mother that he did not take too kindly too.

Guest HartFan86

And I could of bought Summerslam 1990 for 10 bucks at an old video store before it went out of business *thuds head against wall*

ANYWAYS...Wrestlemania 3, Wrestlemania x-7, and Summerslam 1992 I enjoy a lot because there is at least 1 ***** match on each of them and because they are 3 huge ass crowds.

I have always enjoyed Mania 6 as well, though the wrestling blew. Wrestlemania x-8 was ok...but the crowd is great in Hogan/Rock, so that kinda made the event, IMO.

If I had to pick one...eh, I dunno. Too hard.

Guest Si82

I'd have to go for WWF Royal Rumble 1990. Man, that was the first PPV I saw and it was great. I love it. The whole damn event. The Rougeaus theme music, The Genius getting his hair cut and then Mr. Perfect beating the shit out Brutus Beefcake, the submission match, the Brother Love show, Jessie's reaction to Sapphire (sp?) dancing ("Don't we have an interview or something we can go to?"), Bossman coming down to Jive Soul Bro, interview-o-rama (and man is that funny) and a kick-ass Royal Rumble match. What more could you want?

As for Summerslam 1990, I love that event too. "Where's Sapphire?". Man that ruled.

Oh, Wrestlemania VI ruled too. Hey, 1990 was pretty awesome. :)