TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

Bands that completely Deteriorated

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Ok, everyone name a band they used to enjoy, but absolutely went to shit after putting out some good material. Not to say you don't like the older material, but the new stuff just doesn't do the band justice. No using deaths in the band or things like that, just bands that kept relatively the same lineup, but just started to suck.

I nominate Machine Head and Aerosmith. Not necessarily in that order.

Guest converge241

Sepultura from Chaos to roots, and then kept falling apart

Aerosmith once the drugs got too much and then even more when they got off of them

Testament when they tried to go "death"

Anthrax towards the end of Belladonna era, but then they got better with Bush

Guest Kinetic

Weezer is a really good recent example. As soon as that green album hit the shelves, half of their existing fanbase--myself included--let out a resounding "What the fuck is this shit?" That they've more than made up for it with a new, younger fanbase is consolation enough for them, I'm sure.

Guest converge241

Kinetic, the kicker about the weezer thing is..I dont even think that younger fanbase KNOWS why they are there :)

Guest CoreyLazarus416
Metallica,

Cliff died, and the rules said "NO deaths in the band."

Iron Maiden went to shit when Bruce left...but then Dickinson came back and they recorded my second-favorite album of '99/2000, Brave New World (my favorite being Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory).

Hmmm...who else...

Cannibal Corpse's lyrics went to pure shit when Chris left. Barnes is actually a really good lyricist when he stays away from gore lyrics...

Oh yeah...PANTERA. I can barely listen to The Great Southern Trendkill or Far Beyond Driven. They kicked it back up a notch with Reinventing The Steel, but they're still nowhere near the quality of Cowboys From Hell or Vulgar Display Of Power...even if they were never THAT good to begin with...

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

One pretty obvious example (to me, anyway), is Pink Floyd. David Gilmour just pisses me off.

Queensryche definitely went downhill after the amazing Operation: Mindcrime.

An odd one is Genesis; you'd think they really went downhill after Peter Gabriel left, but they stayed good for 2 more albums (plus a live album), but then Steve Hackett left the band, and that was it.

That's all for now.

Guest The Man in Blak

Pink Floyd, Pantera and Van Halen would be at the top of my list, but what about:

- Stone Temple Pilots

- nine inch nails

- Snoop Doggy Dogg (not exactly a band, but definitely worth mention)

- Wu-Tang Clan

- Days of the New

- Megadeth (before Mustaine's accident)

- Tool

- AC/DC (They had a fairly good run even after Bon Scott died, but the last few albums are almost embarrassing)

Guest converge241

"Queensryche definitely went downhill after the amazing Operation: Mindcrime."

my favorite album of all time.. how could they not deteriorate.

I agree though Empire came close but promised land, frontier, and the one after ..worse and worse

Guest nl5xsk1
- AC/DC (They had a fairly good run even after Bon Scott died, but the last few albums are almost embarrassing)

The only really good AC/DC album with B. Johnson is Back in Black, and it pales in comparison with the Bon Scott stuff. For Those About to Rock is ok, but I personally find everything else they did after Scott died unlistenable.

Guest goodhelmet

DAMN YOU ALL for taking all of my nominees!!!

Actually, a band that hasn't been mentioned is Queen , before Freddy Mercury died. After 1980's The Game, the band had a few good songs left but the albums as a whole were just lacklustre.

Guest redbaron51

Black Sabbath..

when ozzy was let go, and Ronny James Dio came aboard, good bye.

i second Genesis, but it was only till when Gabriel left.

i second Genesis, but it was only till when Gabriel left.

Well, the Genesis thing is tricky to me. I mean, from an "immediate" sort of standpoint, they went downhill after Peter left; however, the last Peter album was the epic The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, so comparing the next album to it is a bit unfair. Overall, I believe that Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering stand up to the albums of the Peter Gabriel era, TLLDOB notwithstanding.

And I can't believe I didn't mention Sabbath. They are an excellent example.

Carry on.

Guest godthedog

green day went from pop-punk that i really enjoyed to straight-up pop.

beastie boys totally pussied out. 'hello nasty' sucked.

U2, for reasons i've stated elsewhere.

to me, after rage against the machine's first album it was all downhill.

pj harvey got boring after 1995.

as a soloist, john lennon stopped being mind-blowingly brilliant after 'plastic ono band', then slowly got more & more bland.

i'm surprised no one's mentioned pearl jam. while i personally think they're as good now as they were 10 years ago, lots of people like to say they stopped being interesting after 'ten' or 'vs'.

Guest Kinetic
pj harvey got boring after 1995.

Indeed. Her last two albums have been incredibly dull.

I also think I'll play the Dylan card here, just because no one else has. After the absolutely brilliant John Wesley Harding, his albums have been wildly inconsistent--with the exception of Blood on the Tracks. And in the early to mid sixties, he could do no wrong--just releasing classic album after classic album. By the time the late 60s rolled around, though, he was writing trite bullshit like everything on Nashville Skyline. It's really depressing to think of all the great music he could have recorded had he not been so reliant on serendipity in the studio and so unwilling to deliver the sort of product expected of him.

Oh, and shit...The Clash. Sandanista is probably the most unlistenable piece of shit that I own. They wrote a few decent tunes after that, but they were capable of so much more.

Guest Kotzenjunge

No one has mentioned Korn, or so I've seen in skimming over this, but I'd like to throw them in here too. I liked Follow the Leader the most of any of their albums, but the last two, ehh. It's almost as if they're pandering to the "repressed" suburban white demographic.

Limp Bizkit also went downhill from 3 Dollar Bill until Wes left and they pretty much disappeared.

Foo Fighters also. The Colour and the Shape RULED, but then... I don't know what happened. Maybe it was from Pat Smear or whatever his name was leaving.

Everclear too. Sparkle and Fade and So Much for the Afterglow were great, but it's been meh since then.

I can actually give a reason why Snoop has gone downhill. Rap is different from when he was in his prime. Back then it was "I'll blow your fucking head off," now it's "look at my car! Look at my money! I have money! Did I mention that I have money?" Sure this kind of stuff was alluded to back in the early-to-mid 90s, but it was accepted as common fact and ignored in the actual music. Just... seeing Snoop in the Welcome to Atlanta video is weird. He doesn't fit into today's rap world. DMX has filled the spot of Angry Black Dude, and he is really the true voice of real rap right now.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Kinetic

Still, Snoop could certainly find a niche that doesn't involve not being any good. Dr. Dre still sells albums and he's never been known to go into all that bling bling nonsense. Ditto Eminem and Outkast. It's just a matter of actually releasing good albums that people would be willing to buy, which he has not.

And I know it's a matter of personal opinion, but I fucking hate The Colour and the Shape. It has "Everlong" but the rest of the stuff is just incredibly grating. The first Foo Fighters album is good, though. Everything after the second one has been a bunch of non-descript rock songs surrounded by radio friendly singles.

Well, Kinetic, while I agree that PJ's Is This Desire? was a very bland album, I believe that Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea is excellent. But different strokes and all that.

Guest El Satanico

The Rolling Stones have been shit for 2 decades give or take. I really like their old stuff but i don't care for anything they have made in the 20 some years since their good years.

Guest Anorak

REM - 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' was excellent but the new sound they have gone for doesn't quite work despite the odd good/great songs.

Bad Religion: Lost their spark after 'Recipe For Hate' and went from a vital band to just another samey punk rock act.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Pink Floyd, Pantera and Van Halen would be at the top of my list, but what about:

- Stone Temple Pilots

- nine inch nails

- Megadeth (before Mustaine's accident)

- Tool

Agreed, except for Tool, they've just gotten better and better in my opinon. Opiate and Undertow were godly, Aenima was a little better in theory than practice, and Lateralus pretty much perfected what they were going for on Aenima, IMO. Some people think it sounds like A Perfect Circle, but I can't see that at all.

STP is a REALLY good example of a band going to shit completely. same with nails.

Guest saturnmark4life

I too think Lateralus is one of the best albums ever made, and i shudder to think what tool are capable of at this point. Can't see how they've deteriorated. I too vote for aerosmith, and Rollins is pretty shitty nowadays. I think hifi could be REM's last great album too. Offspring continue to get worse, they now have one of those random guys with them who sort of plays keys and percussion in a half assed manner and spits water around, which makes them look like wheatus.

Guest redbaron51

Judging a Tool album to me is a pain in my brain because each of them are mind blowing, and usually each time i'll list my favourite tool albums it'll be in different order, and depends on the mood. Sometimes I'll think Undertow is the best then Aenima. There is no such thing as a bad Tool album (unless you don't like them)

Megadeth I would say they didn't go down hill, I mean with really one big success I think with Countdown till Extinction, they were never that popular. I mean when you get compaired to Metallica and Guns n Roses its near impossible for them to make it big. All of the music they made is incredible in each area.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Judging a Tool album to me is a pain in my brain because each of them are mind blowing, and usually each time i'll list my favourite tool albums it'll be in different order, and depends on the mood. Sometimes I'll think Undertow is the best then Aenima. There is no such thing as a bad Tool album (unless you don't like them)

QUOTE]

That's the thing I like about Tool so much, every album is different. No repetition or stale formulaic stuff.

Guest EricMM

Lets see:

The Offspring

-I enjoyed Smash so much. Self Esteem is still practically the only song I know by heart. Pretty Fly for a White Guy just... killed it...

Blink 182

-Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch were good for what they were. Enema of the State was bad for what it was, it was bad for anything.

Foo Fighters

-I bought The Colour and the Shape and loved it. I bought There is Nothing Left to Lose and hate it.

Unwritten Law

-Now this could be doubly true. People say they crapped out making the self titled album, which I love. Elvira is such a piece of shit except for a few songs, it's sad. Comparing any song of that album to Teenage Suicide, Lonesome, or even Cailin is impossible

Guest Vern Gagne

Aerosmith would of gone done has one of the greatest ever if only Tyler would of overdosed.