TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Holy Shit...

Guest godthedog

i agree, classic ricky morton-type stuff going on with the tag match. more drama than in the radicals tag matches we've seen for the last 2 weeks (and i'm NOT complaining about those matches, i just thought this one was better).

except for hhh/hbk, i thought he underrated everything a little bit. minus angle/mysterio and test/undertaker, i thought everything deserved at least ***1/2, **** in rvd's case. but hey, he makes no claim to be objective anyway and neither do i, so it's all good.

Guest alfdogg

Once again, another intelligent, rational post from the DA.

And I have one question:

I still can't believe this was the longest match on the card

You can't??

Guest RickyChosyu
Ricky, just out of curiousity, what did you think of the match in question?

I thought it was the first nice performance from HHH that we've seen in a long time, and that Michaels did some pretty crazy stuff for a cripple, but that the match wasn't anything special. Lots of glaring problems and a general feeling that I was watching a Tommy Dreamer match didn't exactly endeer me to it.

Good for what it was, but not good, in actuallity.

*EDIT* DA, what's the point of listening to other people's opinions if you don't pay any mind to them? So you can marvel at how Keith gave another undeserving match ****?

This makes about as much sense as saying "turn in your term paper for your teacher to read, but if she says it's horrible, don't pay her any mind, because your opinion is what counts!"

The entire point of listening to others is to come up with a clearer perspective on the subject matter by hearing thoughts from people who may have noticed something that you did not. Then, it's possible that you'll realize that the match was better than you thought it was, or maybe worse. That's the entire point: hearing other opinions so you can clarify your own.

Guest deadbeater

What is this? If this was a puroresu match, you guys would be saying that the quiet period of the match, HHH beating up Shawn, adds to the DRAMA, plays to the crowd making them sympathetic to Shawn, help establishes HHH as MAJOR DICK GOD KING GOD RUDO, and makes the Shawn comeback look as if he rose from the dead and become an avenging Angel coming to save us all!!

But in the States you call the very same thing stalling. That's why puroresu style won't be a hit in the US. This was a very good puroresu style match, and some of you treated it like it was Trish vs Jackie.

Guest Dangerous A

"*EDIT* DA, what's the point of listening to other people's opinions if you don't pay any mind to them? So you can marvel at how Keith gave another undeserving match ****?

This makes about as much sense as saying "turn in your term paper for your teacher to read, but if she says it's horrible, don't pay her any mind, because your opinion is what counts!"

The entire point of listening to others is to come up with a clearer perspective on the subject matter by hearing thoughts from people who may have noticed something that you did not. Then, it's possible that you'll realize that the match was better than you thought it was, or maybe worse. That's the entire point: hearing other opinions so you can clarify your own."

I read what others think, but that's just to see what others line of thinking is. I kind of went rant style back there, but my point was to not let other people's opinions sway yours just because that person is a net "icon" like SK or Meltzer or because it's not cool to like HHH and HBK on this board, so I have to hate it. I was simply saying if you like a match, cool. If not, it's still cool. Just don't let people here sway your thinking. As far as comparing my caring about others opinions to turning in a paper to a teacher and not caring what they say, all I say is it's fucking wrestling. I might care about a teacher's opinion cause I'll be graded on it and it will effect my grade. There are no grades here on the boards. I take your point of listening to other's opinions cause I do like to hear other's opinions on things, it's just that I don't let those people sway my opinion if I've already made my mind up about the situation.

Bottom Line: I don't mind listening to others opinions, I just don't need them to clarify my own.

Guest jimmy no nose

- Official WWE Non-Sanctioned ™ Match: HHH v. Shawn Michaels. Shawn is sporting his 1995 Smoking Gunns attire tonight, probably concealing leg braces or the like. HHH also takes us back to the past, shaving for the first time in what seems like years. He looks kinda like Homer Simpson without the beard. And almost as bald – check out the Michael Bolton Baldness Denial going on here. Another couple of years of shooting steroids and he’ll look like Kurt Angle. Say what you will about him “just working out”, but you don’t go from thick blond hair in 1997 to thin straggly hair and a bald spot in 2002 without some chemical assistance. Unless he’s got cancer, I guess. They slug it out and Shawn takes him down and dumps him. He follows with a pescado and they head back in, and do a chase on the way. Shawn finds a garbage can, but gets dumped on the railing. Back in, Shawn gets a clothesline and goes up for a double axehandle. Superkick misses and HHH gets a sadistic backbreaker and another one to show that he really means business. The psychology here is a gimme in terms of getting it over – it’s well known that Shawn has a crippling back injury, so any punishment at all to the back is amplified 100 times in the fans’ minds. It’s a great shortcut – you can skip 10 minutes of working the body part because one move, in the minds of the fans, is enough to damage the back again. HHH whips him into the corner and slugs him down. Elbow to the back gets two. I feel like singing “You always hurt the one you love”. Good old Spike Jones. HHH get a chair and blasts Shawn in the back for two. Shawn reverses a suplex for two, but walks into a facebuster and gets DDT’d on the chair for two. HHH uses Shawn’s own belt for some S&M-styled foreplay. Then it’s off under the ring, where he finds his trusty sledgehammer / phallic symbol, but Shawn fights him off. Man, this match works on so many levels, even the sick ones. HHH goes to an abdominal stretch instead, and that provokes an argument with Earl Hebner about using the ropes, which is of course completely ludicrous because the ref has no authority here. They head up and Shawn gets crotched and hung upside-down in position for either a chairshot to the ass or some spanking, depending on which level you’re reading this recap. HHH sets up the chair and drops Shawn’s back on it, which is just such a sick spot that I have to wonder about Shawn’s sanity. Sideslam on the chair gets two. Ditto. Pedigree, but Shawn goes low to block. HHH stalks him with the chair, but Shawn superkicks it back in his face to reassert his manhood in the relationship. A bigtime bladejob for HHh results. Shawn’s facial bleeding earlier in the match, by the way, was pretty much the first appearance of the legendary blood capsule in like 10 years, but I can understand not wanting to mutilate yourself for a one-shot match. Shawn fights back with the forearm and kip-up, and suddenly he’s on fire again like a revivalist preacher. Chairshot and Shawn dumps HHH and batters him right back with the belt. He even uses Hugo Savinovich’s boot, which might be a tip of the hat to his match with Diesel in 1997, but I doubt it. He finds a ladder and harpoons HHH with it. Catapult into the ladder gets two. HHH baseball slides the ladder back into him, and they head back in. Shawn superplexes him for two. Sunset flip gets two. HHH hits him with the high knee for two. He grabs the stairs, but that backfires and Shawn dumps him. A table gets set up and HHH ends up on it, and then through it via a splash. Ladder gets set up in the corner back in the ring, and Shawn drops the elbow and cues up the band. Superkick misses, but he reverses the Pedigree for the pin at 27:23. He probably should have just gone over clean with the superkick, but that’s not important. **** HHH attacks him and Shawn does the stretcher job to close out the match.

- Now then. Yes, it was a great match, but there’s mitigating circumstances. First, the greatness of the match was based on two primary things: Shawn Michaels knowing the EXACT moments to make his babyface comebacks, and Shawn Michaels bumping like a man on enough painkillers to tranquilize Anna Nicole Smith with the knowledge that he is never going to wrestle again. The match stood out in stark contrast to the mat-based wrestling surrounding it, and thus seemed different and edgy, even though it wasn’t really. The booking was extremely protective of both guys, and the question you have to ask yourself is this: Who does it help? Does it help Shawn Michaels, retired for four years and back into retirement again now? Does it help HHH, already a big star and no longer needing the rub given by Michaels? Does it help any of the guys below them who had to watch HHH sleepwalk through matches with people he should have been elevating and then lecture them about needing to work harder? Notice how HHH gets motivated – wrestling a Clique buddy who he is only all too willing to show ass and sell his ass off for. Does it help the people above them who have been trying for 4 years to get out from Shawn’s shadow, only to have him try to steal the show again? What it comes down to is that sometimes a great match shouldn’t necessarily BE a great match, when a good one would have done just as well to show that Shawn could still have ANY match, period. I’m not saying that everyone should start deliberately dogging it so as not to show up the main-eventers, but did we really need Shawn splashing HHH through a table and diving off a ladder? The story of the match – Shawn gets his back beaten to a pulp but comes back because he has heart and guts – was enough of a story without all the ga-ga on top of it. Sometimes less is more. And think about this – what if Shawn had done his comeback match against Brock Lesnar and sacrificed his bad back to the bearhug in the name of getting Brock over as a career-killer? That would be a worthwhile goal. This, as it is, was good, but at best served only as an egofuck for HHH & Shawn in terms of usefulness to the promotion. If HHH was really serious about doing what’s right for business, he’d go out on RAW tonight and make someone a star, no excuses, no self-serving bullshit non-finishes, no inspirational speeches before and after. But who needs action when you’ve got words?

No one posted that yet, did they? I think for the most part I agree with everything he said. It was still a great match.

Guest RickyChosyu

deatbeater, what form of Puroresu was that supposed to be, exactly? Honest to God, the only thing from Japan I can even begin to compare it to is a Muta match, and that's not a good thing. That's what I call "the kind of stuff I never watch." I mean, it was all there: pointless garbage spots with no transitions, LOTS of stalling, and even the dubiously-grotesque blade-jobs. Maybe Shawn watched some of Keji's late-ninties work and decided that it was the type of thing people on da net would get into. Looks like he was right about that one.

DA: I understand your point about forming your own opinion, as opposed to basing it simply on the fact that someone "important" liked the match. Thinking for yourself is good, but that's what the entire point of listening to others is. You listen to their points, and if you agree, it might give you a new persective, and sway your opinion. You shouldn't agree with others because it's "the thing to do" you should agree with them because you think they're correct in what they say.

And it was just an example, and a valid one. If I give my teacher a term paper I'm thinking about turning in, and she tells me that it's inconsistent, wordy, and pretentious, I might read it over again and realize, that hey- she's right, and re-do it. Now, I know that it's different because the teacher will ultimately be the one who decides what grade you get, and thus she's basically right on that virtue alone, but it still presents a good example of listening to others to gain further understanding.

Guest SlowChemical6

I doubt that a God like Shawn Michaels needs to watch Muta tapes for ideas. Or any puro, for that matter.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I doubt that a God like Shawn Michaels needs to watch Muta tapes for ideas. Or any puro, for that matter.

His style seems more lucha based.

Maybe that's why the puro freaks don't like him?

Guest godthedog

gotta love the mindless puro-hating.

Guest RickyChosyu

No, that would be in the "he sell like a crack-head" category.

And obviously he doesn't need to borrow anything from anyone. He's not an active wrestler, last I checked.