TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phr33k

Call me crazy, but...

Guest Phr33k

It's very possible that the 'Spos could field a somewhat competitive team this year. Their roster:

STARTING LINEUP

CF Peter Bergeron

2B Jose Vidro

RF Vladimir Guerrero

LF/DH Jose Canseco

1B Lee Stevens

SS Orlando Cabrera

3B Fernando Tatis

C Michael Barrett

BENCH

C Brian Schneider

SS/3B Mike Mordecai

3B/OF Geoff Blum

OF Mark Smith

OF Brad Wilkerson

OF Lance Johnson

OF Felix Jose

STARTING PITCHERS

1. Javier Vazquez

2. Tony Armas, Jr.

3. Carl Pavano

4. Masato Yoshii

5. Depending on who you believe, Tomo Ohka or David Cone

RELIEF

RP Guillermo Mota

RP Graeme Lloyd

RP Britt Reames

RP Darwin Cubillan

RP Scott Downs

CP Scott Strickland

On paper, this team doesn't sound so bad. They may garner a lot more fans than they did last year with a team like this. Got a differing opinion? OK. GO CANADA GO! WE BEAT THEM!

Guest alkeiper

Personally, I'd like to see them platoon Canseco and Stevens.  Canseco'll only get 8 games at DH, if that.  I doubt you'll see Felix Jose and Lance Johnson.  They were signed to minor league contracts only, and I doubt they'll make the team.  Mark Smith signed with the marlins; he had an out clause if the team was sold.  Otherwise, I could see the Expos creep past the Marlins.

Guest gthureson

Yeah, but you are forgetting one big factor.

Guys don't like playing for a lame-duck franchise.  They haven't been drawing flies for years (since the 1994 strike, actually.  I think that was the final straw for people in Montreal caring), but at least the owners paid lip service to trying to put out a team that could win some games, and if everything went right and the stars were in the correct alignment that season, maybe challenge for the playoffs.

This year....MLB owns the team has pretty much made it clear that they couldn't give a shit how the Expos do.   Everybody on the team is pretty much going to spend the season wondering where they will be playing next season.  

Or, they might rally behind each other ala 'Major League', but I doubt that would happen in real life.

I'm hoping for the best.  About six or seven years ago I was hoping the Expos would move to Vancouver, to keep the team in Canada and maybe play in a city that wanted a team.  Now...its a fait d'accompli.   They will be in Washington in 2003.   Its only a matter of time before its announced.

But the not knowing will shave 10-15 wins off the season.  Humans are like that with instability.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

You can say the same thing about the Expos roster every year to some extent.

They usually start off pretty good...then realize that there's no point in trying and quit.

I've been saying for 3 years that Vlad Geurrero is the best player in baseball...and I'll stand by that today.

No one will benefit more than Vlad when this team is contracted...except the team that gets him.

This year...my money's on the Florida Marlins to shock da world.

Guest Vern Gagne

Jose Canseco can't play OF or 1B.The Major League Expos on paper can be a .500 team but they'll end up 20 games under.

Guest alkeiper

Watching Bobby Bonilla and the Cardinals last year taught me that ANYBODY can play 1B.