TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Black Tiger

Saved By The Bell

Guest Black Tiger

Is it just me or does Bayside seem more like a college than a high school? These are just a few examples I picked up over watching the show for a while. I'm sure many can contradict me on these.

1. Zack menitons during lunch at the max, that he is late for class. In all the high schools I've seen if your even a few seconds late the teacher rips you a new one.

2. When Jesse's brother starts at Bayside, Zack tells him he needs book and he sends Screech to the bookstore. Don't high schools provide the books?

3. They all work for the radio station, and appear to be missing class for it. First off, why would a teacher let a student miss class for that, and if they are missing class, then who's listening to it if the rest of the school is in class?

4. On Tori's first day she and Lisa meet at 7:00 pm in the gym to do stuff for a dance. Schools usualy let out between 2:00 and 3:30 and are locked up afterwards. How do they get in? AND Lisa mentions how late they were working on it. The school just lets them stay in the building for long hours after school is over?

Guest Zack Malibu
Is it just me or does Bayside seem more like a college than a high school? These are just a few examples I picked up over watching the show for a while. I'm sure many can contradict me on these.

1. Zack menitons during lunch at the max, that he is late for class. In all the high schools I've seen if your even a few seconds late the teacher rips you a new one.

2. When Jesse's brother starts at Bayside, Zack tells him he needs book and he sends Screech to the bookstore. Don't high schools provide the books?

3. They all work for the radio station, and appear to be missing class for it. First off, why would a teacher let a student miss class for that, and if they are missing class, then who's listening to it if the rest of the school is in class?

4. On Tori's first day she and Lisa meet at 7:00 pm in the gym to do stuff for a dance. Schools usualy let out between 2:00 and 3:30 and are locked up afterwards. How do they get in? AND Lisa mentions how late they were working on it. The school just lets them stay in the building for long hours after school is over?

And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go with another Saved By The Bell thread. Answers to Black Tiger's and anyone elses questions will be brought to you by your resident Teen Show mark, Zack Malibu!

1)Zack ALWAYS got ripped a new one in school. In real life though, if you're only a few min. late, it depends on the teacher really. I used to hang out with one of my teachers (a 20-something wrestling fan) while I was supposed to be in another class, and wouldn't go to that class till halfway through.

2)Most high schools provide books, but larger high schools do have school stores/book stores. It could have been some type of extra-curricular reading assignemnt or something.

3)Some schools do have radio stations, and broadcasts can happen during lunch periods, or in certain classes like art or wood shop, where you would need something to listen to. You're right that the Chem. teacher wouldn't play the radio in his class, but others would. And the radio station would be like an art credit (audio/visual). City Guys had a radio station, and they were only on during lunchtime.

4)Nearly ALL schools are open for extra curricular activites. Having been active in my school,the school stays open not only for sports teams, but for Student Council, Students Against Drunk Drivers, dance committees, etc. My g/f had to go to the school on a Sunday morning once to set up for an honors night. Usually there is a teacher watching over them, but school's do not lock up when that final bell rings.

As usual, any and all teen show questions can be directed to me.

Guest Grenouille

How did California Dreams end? Did anything big happen when it finished? It's been a couple of years since I remember seeing reruns on TBS, and I don't remember how everything finished.

Guest Zack Malibu

How did California Dreams end? Did anything big happen when it finished? It's been a couple of years since I remember seeing reruns on TBS, and I don't remember how everything finished.

Ah, looks like this has become the "Ask Zack a Teen Show Question" thread.

California Dreams ended at the end of the 96-97 season. The last episode saw Jake trying to get the band discovered, only to have everyone realize that they need to move on in life, especially with college coming up. Sly and Lorena were moving elsewhere in CA, Sam was going to Oxford, Mark was going to Juilliard (sp?) in NY, Tiffani was going to Hawaii, Tony was going...crap, I forgot where, lol...and Jake was staying put. During one of their performances at the pier, a producer said he was interested in signing Jake to a music deal. Jake wouldn't do it without the others, and finally got what he wanted...a deal for The California Dreams. Everyone else turned down the offer, upsetting Jake. He slowly began to realize that things needed to change, whether he wanted them to or not. The band played one last gig together at the pier (and the tears were real...from what I know they filmed the last scene first, because the cast was so upset about filming the last episode), and said their goodbyes. It came down to Sly and Jake, and after a few jokes and reliving past conflicts, Sly told Jake to make him proud and walked off, with Jake the "Last one standing" so to speak.

I've got this episode on tape, along with a few others. I never got to tape it off TBS (though I should have), and I missed it when it was on PAX TV briefly (winter 2000 I think). I'd love for this show to come back on...I think Nickelodeon in Europe shows this (or did at one point), so I'm holding out hope that it winds up on Nick, TVLand, or even TBS again.

Any other questions?

Guest The Czech Republic

Here's my question:

Why do you give a shit about a crappy show like California Dreams? All teen shows pale in comparison to the one the only DeGrassi Junior High.

Guest Zack Malibu

Czech Republic-I've never seen DeGrassi, either by not knowing when it was on or just not having it carried in my area (I think Showtime may have had it on once but I'm not sure). The one I episode I saw was on that was shown in some of my health classes during middle school, where the girl wih the big hair finds out she's pregnant.

Bob Barron-Screech beat Jesse by "a tenth of a point" according to Belding in that episode. They were the two smartest people in the school, so it's believable that the race for valedectorian would be that close.

And there is nothing wrong with California Dreams. It's not the "perfect" show (I find a few of the songs mega-cheesy, others I find to be great), but I liked it, and it has played an integral part in my life.

Guest bob_barron

What were the parental situations of the SBTBers. It seemed like some of their were divorced or something

Guest Zack Malibu

CanadianChick-Yep. It's on TBS every morning 7-8 am. It's the original episodes from Mon-Thurs, then The College Years every Friday. They also broke the two movies (Wedding in Las Vegas and Hawiian Style) up into episodes.

Bob again-The parental situations were:

Zack's parents-Together (we saw them both)

Screech's parents-Together (saw his mom in the "Hound Dog" episode)

Slater's parents-Together (he mentioned his mom when he didn't want to get the flu shot in the nurse episode, but we only ever saw his dad)

Kelly's parents-Together (only saw her dad)

Lisa's parents-Together (only saw her mom I believe)

Jesse's parents-divorced-mom remarried, bringing her stepbrother Eric to Bayside for all of 2 episodes. Her dad also remarried a younger woman, as we saw when the gang got invited to the wedding in the Palm Springs episodes.

Guest bob_barron

Didn't we see Lisa's dad when she ran up a huge credit card bill?

Thanks for all the info Zach

Guest Vern Gagne

On the first episode during Freshman year. Zack is all exited about Kelly, and mentions Jessi is his neighbor? Why did we never here about either one of those two, before this?

Guest RevEvil

the high school eps and the junior high eps were likely in different universes. Bayside High was in California, while JFK Jr. high was in Indiana. Zack's parents were divorced originally, then they were always together. Screech had a brother then became an only child.

Guest Zack Malibu

I forgot about the credit card episode. We did see both of Lisa's parents.

The junior high eps were from The Disney Channel, when the show was called Good Morning Miss Bliss. NBC got the rights to the show for their Saturday morning lineup in 1989, about a year after the show had debuted on Disney. They kept Zack, Belding, Screech, and Lisa, put 'em in California, and added Slater, Kelly and Jessie. The storyline of the NBC version was that Zack and Jessie were neighbors, and Screech was Zack's best friend/sidekick/lackey. Slater was an army brat, and at first he and Zack didn't get along since they both liked Kelly. Screech was obsessed with Lisa, yet sadly never got her (save for the goodbye kiss in the Graduation episode).

You're welcome for the info, guys. But it's ZACK, not ZACH!!! ;)

Guest Some Guy
Bob again-The parental situations were:

Zack's parents-Together (we saw them both)

But never in the same episode, plus Zack's dad's name changed at some point, but I can't remeber either right now.

Zack's mom was a blonde lady (she used to go into Zack's room and talk to him a lot and then she caught them at an 18+ night club with fake IDs, the same shop that Kelly found out that Jeff, a College guy who ran the Max who she dumped Zack for was cheating on herand his dad had a brown hair and a beard as I recall form the drunk driving accident show where Zack crashed Lisa's mom's car. He was a computer salesman or something.

See Zack you aren't the only SBTB geek here. :)

Guest treble charged

While I always enjoyed watching SBTB, one thing that always annoyed me was that there were basically only the main characters who mattered in the whole school. The core group was in every group, plus they'd throw in some sterotypical geek or some attractive girl that Zack liked. Oh well, I liked the rest of the show.

However, I do have one question. How come, all of a sudden, for one episode only, Zack was a huge track& field star? That seemed to come out of nowhere, at least to me.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Zack.

Guest treble charged

Ooh, a few more questions:

How come that homeless guy and his daugther moved in with Zack and his family, yet was never to be heard from again? And where was Zack's dad during all of this? I don't recall him being arond during this tme. Oh, and speaking of Zack's dad, didn't two seperate actors play him at different points in the show's run?

Once again, thanks for all the info.

Guest Some Guy

I remeber the track and field show and I have no idea other than it fit the storyline of the show. It also violated Zack's preppy, always out to get chicks and has no time for sports character.

Guest crandamaniac

How did Screech become Assistant Principal for Bayside High?

Thinking of the homeless guy, I coulda sworn that they gave the man some new clothes so he could get a job, but i'm not sure

Guest treble charged

I remember him moving in, because there was a conversation that went something like this:

Homeless Guy: 'We don't want to overstate our welcome.'

Zack's Mom: 'Don't worry, Zack already has'

Everyone: *Laughs*

Guest Some Guy

Thinking of the homeless guy, I coulda sworn that they gave the man some new clothes so he could get a job, but i'm not sure

Don't know about Screech, I didn't watch the New Class hardly at all.

I think they did give him a suit so he could get a job. Although the homeless guy's story was pretty weak. It is so unbeleivably rare for an educated man who isn't a drug addict or alcoholic to become homeless that the story is weak. But it's SBTB world so I guess it happens frequently there, and the guy has a hot daughter.

Guest goodhelmet

i found the drunken teen story to be more life-like. i'm just surprised they didn't have the obligatory regrets of drunken teen having sex w/ ugly other and blaming it on the alcohol the next day at school while getting ribbed by your friends.

Guest treble charged

Did anyone on the show ever have sex? Did they ever even allude to it? Because if they did, I sure as hell don't recall it.

Guest bob_barron

No it didn't.

There prob was one episode where one of the guys was like: C'mon Kelly, c'mon

and she said no and broke off with him like on every other teen show but no one ever did it

Guest Vern Gagne

Why did they hang out with Mr.Belding so much. I can understand Zack because he was always in trouble but the rest seemed to spend alot of time with their principal.

Guest RevEvil

Screech got a college internship. Then he apparently dropped out to work at Bayside permanently.

Guest Mark4steamboat

Why were slater and Zack only on the basketball team for one ep? the only time they were mentioned on it was the one where belding pushed into zack and he fucked his knee up and lisa's mom operated on him.

Guest bob_barron

Yea- they played wheelchair b-ball for Zach's girlfriend who was in a wheelchair