TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest J*ingus

Dang, i might be 1st here too...

Guest J*ingus

It listed a post by Don as the first one here, however clicking on the folder itself, I found it to be empty.  Weird.  

To start off the new forum, to all you puro geeks out there (yes that includes me), what's your favorite style of wrestling?  Is it AJ's stiffness, or NJ strong style, or the luchapuro high flying, or the hardcore garbage wrestling, or what?  Also, out of that style, who do you think represents it the best?  

And once again, YOU FEAR POGO.  My new avatar so rules.

Guest Goodear

Gotta say, even though it isn't really puro, I dig me some lucha stuff that I saw while they were in WCW.  #### I miss Rey Mysterio Jr., Psychosis, and Juventud.  Anyway, so far I'm starting to like New Japan junior's stuff, especially Lyger.  I really didn't care for the FMW stuff I've seen so far, but I really dug the Masato Tanaka v. Mike Awesome stuff from ECW.

I just want to be loved!

Guest DragonflyKid

My favorite style of wrestling is the "All-Japan style", I'm kept at the edge of my seat not knowing if the fall will come from a big move or a strike, the pychology behind the accumulative effect of the opponent's offense determining the outcome makes for great near-falls.

It's not just the stiffness I enjoy but the variety of strikes to go along with that stiffness, instead of a loose punch or stomp being the majority of the offense like in the WWF you get stiff kicks,elbows,lariots,etc. of all kinds in AJ and puro in general.

To me Kobashi represents the style great, he has been in many epic,must-see matches, has lots of big-time moves, uses and takes lots of stiff strikes and displays fighting spirit in every match of his I've seen.

Guest ArkhamGlobe

I don't really have a favorite, I can watch just about anything and like it.

Guest Carbon Tiger

For me it's All Japan's head dropping goodness. You can't beat the psy, pacing and sheer drama of their matches. Best reps for this style imo are Kawada, Misawa, and of corse Kobashi.

Guest Tiger Suplex 85

I also enjoy most kinds of wrestling, but if I had to pick a fave, it would probably be NJPW Juniors. Reps: Liger, Pegasus and Ohtani.

Guest Hoyakillah

I guess I'd have to say the All Japan "strong style," but before 1997, when the head-dropping neck death came into vogue.  But I'm not a huge fan of the old old old stuff - I respect it, but it's not my vibe.  I'd probably have to say the stretch from Jumbo v. Misawa through 1997.  And that's not to say I don't dig other stuff - Ultimo Dragon is my second-favorite wrestler in Japan (after Kawada), because it's so smooth, so fluid.  But I think that I watch the juniors stuff to enjoy a single match or two - I watch the AJPW stuff for the stories.  It's like someone said - sometimes it can be like Shakespeare.

It's all good... but there's something about that AJPW Golden Age that just appeals to me.

Guest HopeSpot

The AJPW style kicks BUTT but I the NJPW juniors and some off the M-Pro stuff from the glory days is nuting unreal!!! The athletism and phychology that men like Sasuke put into thier matches was absolutely un-nuting-belivable.

Guest ThePhoenix230

I also am a HUGE fan of the AJ main-event style. However, I sort of dislike the more recent head-drop stuff, but still find the more recent stuff entertaining. However, I am also a big fan of the older AJ stuff, with Jumbo Tsuruta at the helm. He was just ridiculously awesome in every way possible, and I dig his matches with Flair, Kerry Von Erich , Tenryu, Giant Baba etc. The style is not for everyone, as it may seem slow and plodding, but I find myself getting very into it.

Guest lessthanpleased

I have to go with All Japan, even all of the crazy, head-dropping nuttiness.  It makes me mark out.  What can I say?

However, the newer interpromotional style is quite impressive as well.  I'm a big Mutoh mark, even if he is kind of hit and miss now.

Good topic.

Guest CB2M

Definitely 1993 AJPW.  The tapes that I have from that period are the absolute best stuff I have.  Basically, it's Kobashi at the height of his powers and I love it.

Guest BlackRainbow1025

I personally am a Toryumon fan.  I love anything involving Crazy Max, especially CIMA.

Guest DragonflyKid

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Joshi puro so far, even though I need to catch up on it what I have seen impresses me greatly. It is fast-paced, has highspots and psychology, tons of emotion at times which makes it as good or better than the men.

Oh, and you're allowed to form crushes on some of the wrestlers too.

Guest goodhelmet

I just love good wrestling. I like the NJ Heavies but Manubu is there and brings the suck! The garbage style fascinated me early on but I got tired of it. The juniors and the Joshi wrestlers ROCK! If there's one thing about Puro, there is no shortage of alternatives for the wrestling fan.