TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karnage

The One And Only Superhero Cartoons Thread!

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
I can confirm that Mask of the Phantasm is BETTER than "pretty good".

I second that opinion.

Guest Sassquatch

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was not the first choice for the BTAS movie. The other idea that Bruce Timm and Paul Dini were floating around was a movie that would focus in on the Batman/Bruce Wayne and Two-Face/Harvey Dent friendship/feud. It was supposed to be the Two-Face story to end all stories and would have expanded on what the two characters meant to one another. It would have explored the relationship beyond what we have seen in the comic books/cartoons and it would have been the definitive story to help explain the characters twisted relationship.

Personally, I would have liked to see the Two-Face movie more then the Phantasm movie. The relationship between Bruce and Harvey has only been touched upon but never really explored. Dini and Timm are probably the two best guys to have for a project like the one they were thinking of and the movie probably would have been better than the Phantasm.

When you hear about how we could have possibly had a movie exploring the Two-Face and Batman relationship, it's kind of hard to sit there and enjoy the movie. The movie was still fun to watch but it was missing something and was too cryptic at times. The other thing that bugged me was how the Joker's origin was touched upon but never explored when in fact he has an indirect connection to ruining the Bruce and Andrea relationship. It would have been interesting to see Dini and Timm's take on the Joker's origin, which would have also added another element in helping the viewers understand why Batman and the Joker hate each other so much.

The best part out of the movie was when Andrea was attacking the Joker and he is reaching around for something to get her off of him with. He touches a knife, a meat clever, and a big salami. In one of those odd moments that defines the Joker, he grabs the salami instead of the other objects and hits Andrea with it.

Great stuff.

Guest Mattdotcom

Sweet sassy son of a bitch, would I love to see that! The Two-Face origin is one of my favorite episodes after Beware the Grey Ghost, plus I love watching the cartoons show up everything done for Batman in live action. That would have been some brilliant stuff.

As for the Joker's origin, I heard rumors last year of a CGI-Batman movie that was supposedly going to be a remake of the 1989 movie with the BTAS team retooling it. You could probably chalk that up as untrue with the announcement of "The Mystery of Batwoman", but I'd love to see it.

Oh, and thanks, APO.

Guest Tony149

MOTP is awesome IMO. However, I would of loved to see the Batman/Two-Face movie. That would of rocked.

As for the CGI Batman movie -- I guess that could still happen with the "Mystery of Batwoman".

WB should let Dini & Timm control the live action Batman films.

Guest Downhome

Yeah, yeah, yeah, all that has been said so far is GREAT, BUT...

...where is the lovin' for Darkwing Duck!?

Guest Mattdotcom

Oh, hell yes! Right here! I loved that show. I've still got all the action figures stowed away in a closet.

Guest Sassquatch

Hands down, the best comic book cartoon series was Batman: The Animated Series.

Personally I think the 2nd seasons of both the Fantastic Four and Iron Man Marvel Action Hour Show were underrated. I never really understood why people hated the shows. The only complaints I could come up with were the shitty animation for the 1st season and the rushed storylines for a lot of the shows. I admit that the shows butchered good comic book stories but so did BTAS, which was one of the best comic books, cartoon series ever.

Guest pochorenella
Personally I think the 2nd seasons of both the Fantastic Four and Iron Man Marvel Action Hour Show were underrated. I never really understood why people hated the shows. The only complaints I could come up with were the shitty animation for the 1st season and the rushed storylines for a lot of the shows. I admit that the shows butchered good comic book stories but so did BTAS, which was one of the best comic books, cartoon series ever

I completely agree with you here, Sass. Sure, the first season for both FF and IM were awful, awful renderings, with terrible animation, terrible music, and terrible stories. But the second season was MUCH improved: IM's opening sequence was great, and the Mandarin saga was well done and somewhat faithfully adapted from the comic book's "Hands of the Mandarin" story.

And what could you say about the FF? Medusa and the Inhumans, Dr. Doom stealing the Silver Surfer's powers, the Impossible Man adventure, the Daredevil Team-up against Doom, all terrific stuff, of course adapted from the comics.

And I'll say it again: the Silver Surfer cartoon was awesome, with Jack Kirby-esque art, great stories and great music too. (And the best damn Galactus EVER.) Another underrated show, IMO.

Guest starvenger
Mark Hamill did indeed do the voice for the Joker in the WB series along with the World's Finest animated movie.

Hamill wanted to change his voice a bit when he joined on with the WB series and took several voices learning classes in order to do so.

Also worth noting is the fact that the Joker voice you'll hear in the Birds of Prey pilot is also Hamill. Forget Nicholson and Romero, Mark Hamill is THE definitive Joker.

Personally I think the 2nd seasons of both the Fantastic Four and Iron Man Marvel Action Hour Show were underrated. I never really understood why people hated the shows. The only complaints I could come up with were the shitty animation for the 1st season and the rushed storylines for a lot of the shows. I admit that the shows butchered good comic book stories but so did BTAS, which was one of the best comic books, cartoon series ever.

Oddly enough I've never really had a problem with the butchered storylines because some things need to be altered to fit the show's continuity. As long as you keep the main points constant (like, say, Krypton getting blowed up real good) I really don't mind. But with FF and Iron Man, the piss poor animation of the first season really turned me off of them. The ultra-cheesy FF theme song didn't help much either.

Guest KingOfOldSchool

Questions -

Basically I grew up with the '90s X-Men series, but fell out of touch during the last few seasons or so...

Did they ever air something similar to the Age of Apocalypse storyline, as I've been told? From what I heard, it basically centered on an adaptation of the AoA Jean, Logan and Cyclops storyline. Was I mistaken, and if it did happen, how well did it come off?

And what was the storyline in the final episode? Everytime I've seen what I think was the final episode, I always caught it part way through so I never knew fully know what's going on. So all I've basically seen of that ep were last shots of Magneto and literally thousands of mutants gathering around him. What happened here?

Guest Prototype450

In the last episode (spoiler) Spoiler spoiler

Spoiler

SPoiler

(Don't wanna ruin it)

Professor X dies sort of. The Shi'ar chick(his girlfriend in the cartoon) takes his body with her. Magneto,Cyclops, Jean Grey and the other X-men cry and say Goodbye.

Sad shit.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
Questions -

Basically I grew up with the '90s X-Men series, but fell out of touch during the last few seasons or so...

Did they ever air something similar to the Age of Apocalypse storyline, as I've been told? From what I heard, it basically centered on an adaptation of the AoA Jean, Logan and Cyclops storyline. Was I mistaken, and if it did happen, how well did it come off?

And what was the storyline in the final episode? Everytime I've seen what I think was the final episode, I always caught it part way through so I never knew fully know what's going on. So all I've basically seen of that ep were last shots of Magneto and literally thousands of mutants gathering around him. What happened here?

Do not read if you don't want anything spoiled...

Question 1: I can't speak for Age of Apocolypse, myself, but they did a super-accelerated version of the X-Cutioner's(sp) Song where it was Apocolypse who created the Legacy virus and Wolverine got soaked in a huge vat of it to create the cure.

Question 2: Xavier had been attacked or something(I haven't seen it in a while) and was literally on death's door, so Jean, Cyke, and Logan all went to find Magneto, who had gathered a horde of mutants for the intent on striking back at the humans, to get him to use his powers to transmit a message to the Shi'ar Empire and Prof. X's main squeeze, Lilandra(sp), to come and save him. It's thought thatshe arrived too late, but she told the X-Men that Charles could be saved, but they would never see him again because he could only be saved at the Shi'ar Empire. Xavier says his goodbyes before she shows up and everybody cries in the end.

To be honest, when I first saw it, I almost cried and almost did again when I watched it like 2 months ago after I found the episode on a tape. Damn, I loved that show.

Guest Big McLargeHuge

If I remember correctly, while there wasn't a direct Age of Apocolypse story, the 'Bishop goes back in time to save Professor X's life from Nimrod and Fitzroy' storyline was sort of an homage to that. Magneto was the leader of the mutants and all that. It even featured AoA Sabertooth and a few others I think. I'm pretty sure that's as far as they went though.

Guest Karnage

The 90s X-Men cartoon was so great. For those in Canada, its airing on Teletoon at 4am on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Its now the episodes where Morph gets revenge on the X-Men.

Does anyone ever watch X-Men Evolution? Damn, its really horrible. What they could of done was an Ultimate X-Men type cartoon instead of this preteen crap.

Guest Sassquatch

"Did they ever air something similar to the Age of Apocalypse storyline, as I've been told? From what I heard, it basically centered on an adaptation of the AoA Jean, Logan and Cyclops storyline. Was I mistaken, and if it did happen, how well did it come off?"

- KingOfOldSchool

The storyline was actually based on the comic book X-Men storyline Days of Future Past. The episode had taken elements from the AoA storyline like how some of the character designs and out them in the episode. But make no mistake about it, this one episode was NOT based around the AoA storyline and was in fact based on the Days of Future Past storyline.

Like most episodes, the cartoon took a story from the comic books and chopped it up to fit a 30-minute cartoon. It had taken different elements and ideas from other comic storylines. The episode was extremely rushed and was missing one of the best parts from the comic book version, which was a fight to the death between the Sentinels and the remaining survivors of the X-Men.

The episode was good for what it was but it was rushed which isn't always a bad thing but it cuts out certain elements from the comic book versions that could work on the cartoon.

"And what was the storyline in the final episode? Everytime I've seen what I think was the final episode, I always caught it part way through so I never knew fully know what's going on. So all I've basically seen of that ep were last shots of Magneto and literally thousands of mutants gathering around him. What happened here?"

- KingOfOldSchool

Professor X had gone to a National Summit meeting to discuss mutant activity. He was very sick when he came to the meeting and was in overall bad shape. A member from the anti-Mutant group the Friend of Humanity had snuck into the meeting with the intention to reveal to the world that Professor X was indeed a mutant. The man shot Professor X with a Mutant Reactionary gun and Professor X's powers went crazy and the people finally realized that Professor X was indeed a mutant. Professor X had a heart attack however due to all the stress that was inflicted upon his heart and he was on his deathbed after that incident.

The conventional machinery that the Earth had was not able to help Professor X out and if they could not heal him up, he would die soon. The X-Men remembered the technology that the Shi'ar Empire had when they had encountered the beings. The only problem was that Professor X was the only one who knew how to get in touch with the Shi'ar and the X-Men were left at a dead end. The X-Men decided that the only way to get in touch with the Shi'ar was to get Magneto to send a giant magnetic distress signal which would pull a Shi'ar ship or two into the Earth's atmosphere and get Lilandra's (the Empress) attention.

Magneto saw what happened to Xavier at his base of operations and decided that it was time to launch an all-out attack against humanity. The X-Men who volunteered for the job were Cyclops, Wolverine and Jean Grey who went to Magneto's stronghold. After a big fight with just about every one of Magneto's troops, the X-Men were able to convince Magneto to help out his old friend Xavier.

Magneto sent the distress signal to the Shi'ar galaxy and Lilandra arrived with the necessary Medicare that Professor X needed. But there was a catch. Professor X's injuries were so severe that he would never be able to come back to Earth or guide his X-Men. The X-Men reluctantly agreed to let Lilandra help heal Professor X and before he left, he asked Magneto if he would help lead the X-Men and Magneto said he would think about it before he would say anything.

The series ended with that episode until 3 years later when the WB started to air X-Men: Evolution.

Guest Mattdotcom

In what has to be the best news I've read all day, beginning October 14th, Batman: The Animated Series will return to the weekday slot for the foreseeable future on Cartoon Network. According to the network, the series will retain it's 2:30am (ET) timeslot, but will also air Monday - Friday at 3:30pm (ET) right before the Toonami block. Batman Beyond will follow at 4pm (ET) Mondays - Thursdays. Below is a schedule for Batman up to October 29th.

October 14th: Legends of the Dark Knight

October 15th: Batgirl Returns

October 16th: Sins of the Father

October 17th: Cold Comfort

October 18th: Double Talk

October 21st: You Scratch My Back

October 22nd: Never Fear

October 23rd: Joker's Millions

October 24th: Growing Pains

October 25th: Love is A Croc

October 28th: Torch Song

October 29th: The Ultimate Thrill

I'm so excited. I've never been able to see the New Batman Adventures, only Over the Edge and Legends of the Dark Knight. One thing that irks me: They're skipping over Holiday Knights. I may have never seen any of the shows, but I know the schedule.

Credit Toonzone for the C&P job I did. And don't forget Birds of Prey tonight, even though it ain't animated.

Guest Sassquatch

Sweet SASSY MOLASSY~! this fucking r0xX0rs your fuckin b0xX0rs!

Kellner got *something* right it seems.

This is great news and I will make sure to set my VCR to tape these episodes.

w00t~!

Guest Tony149

Whoa! I also got to get the VCR ready. Now the next step is to release more Batman: TAS DVDs.

Guest Prototype450

Always pissed off thinks for clearing up my horrible post for everyone.

But has anyone noticed why DareDevile has gotten no love in the cartoons.

All my life i have never seen a DareDevil cartoon.

Wazupwitdat?! <_<

Guest Karnage
Always pissed off thinks for clearing up my horrible post for everyone.

But has anyone noticed why DareDevile has gotten no love in the cartoons.

All my life i have never seen a DareDevil cartoon.

Wazupwitdat?! <_<

He did make a cameo in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon.

Guest Sassquatch

Anyone catch the JLA movie "savage Time" that Cartoon Network aired this weekend?

Just curious as to what you all thought about it.

Guest Mattdotcom

There were SEVERAL plans for a DareDevil cartoon, most notably one where DD had a seeing-eye dog sidekick.

I was at the Alabama game Saturday and missed The Savage Time premiere, but woke up early Sunday and found myself watching it. Despite missing the first thirty minutes, I loved it. Best JL: TAS story I've seen so far.

Guest Sassquatch

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Captain America cartoon that was all but done but was pushed back by FOX because of the Pokemonization of the channel. FOX told Marvel that they would not be able to find a timeslot for the show and told them to shop around somewhere else.

It's a damn shame because the show looked beautiful and it *should* have been in the Avengers timeslot.

"Savage Time" was *very* good in my opinion and showed fans that not every villain that comes down the pike has to have super powers to take on the JLA.

The one aspect of the movie that brought several smiles to my face was the way that homage was paid to Pre-Crisis members of the DCU who fought in WWII:

Steve Trevor (was Wonder Woman's boyfriend during WWII)

The Black Hawks (old WWII and Korean War fighter jet pilots)

Sgt. Rock and Easy Company (DC's version of Nick Fury; whom came later)

The Giant Wheels of Doom were pretty cool but Superman looked weak again when he tried to punch out the window of one of the controllers. Still though, a damn good movie and hopefully there will be a rematch with Savage and the JLA in the future.

Guest razazteca

for the record, I never really liked the IMAGE cartoons that were on CBS or USA network. But Cadalliacs and Dinasaurs was underrated.

Wild Cats and Savage Dragon were hella lame.

Guest Mattdotcom

Superfriends, the popular 1970's series, is scheduled to hit both VHS and DVD on April 22nd, 2003.

Superfiends brings the most amazing superheroes of all time — Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Batman and Robin — together to form the ultimate superhero squad. Not only do the Wonder Twins help out, but Wendy, Marvin, and their crazy pet Wonderdog help fight the Legion of Doom, the evil team of super villains determined to wreak havoc on Earth. Whether fighting vampires, Lex Luthor, or the Joker, the Superfriends are ready for any challenge.

The format and specs for the DVD are not yet known. Stay tuned for more news here at Toon Zone News!

Credit goes to Toonzone, obviously.

Hey, when did the Superfriends fight The Joker? I only remember him and the Penguin on my old Scooby-Doo tape.

Guest Sassquatch

The Superfriends never fought any super villains with name value in the DCU. The reason being that the TV networks demanded that the show not have any violence in it and the writers for the show made it so that the SF's would only fight crazy scientists or aliens.

Now, the Suprefriends: Legion of Doom show had the Joker make several cameos on the show. This was the show where the heroes fought Lex Luthor and Co. which is eons better than the first Superfriends show which became a joke amongst fans who read the comics at the time.

Personally, I liked the Super Powers show more than any of the old DC series'.