TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Redskins possible new QB is..

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Uh, its no secret that the Redskins need a QB, BAD.  Tony Banks wont get the Skins to the Super Bowl.  But other than the fact that Danny Wuerffel played for Florida and won the heisman trophy 6 years ago playing for Steve Spurrier, why are they bothering with trading a draft pick/non starting player to the Texans for him?

I mean, he hasnt thrown a football in the NFL since 1999.  And he did a big heap of nothing when he was playing for New Orleans, Green Bay and Chicago.  He is 126-of-258 for 1,404 yards with nine touchdowns and 16 interceptions in five NFL seasons. Yep.  The Skins may as well have just signed Tony Banks who could at least put up those #'s in 1 season.  But anyway, its too early to really start complaining very much..

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

If Steve Spurrier or anyone else thinks that Danny Wuerffel is going to come in and start for the Washington Redskins next year, I've got swampland in Florida they might like to buy.

However, what no one seems to realize is this:  that team had to learn a new system of doing things last year, and has to learn a completely new offense this year, one that's the polar opposite (though I hope it isn't) of the offense they ran last year.  By going and getting Wuerffel, they've got a guy that at least knows the Fun 'n' Gun.  He'll be able to take snaps and help Spurrier teach the system through playing.  And if he can hold the fort down until the Redskins get a real quarterback (or the real QB learns the system), then puts the headset on for 16 games, he'll be worth it.

Guest hardyz1

Apparently Spurrier is going after Shane Matthews next.

Maybe next year Rex Grossman will come out of college so Spurrier can get him, too.

Or not.

Guest Choken One

Why not pick up someone like Jeff Blake? He can throw the ball deep and can be effective instead of these nobodies?

Guest Anteater

I think that since I've grown up with Steve-o Spurrier as the Florida head-ball, I might be qualified to answer this.

I think the whole thing hinges on how well the Fun'n'Gun works in the NFL. I figure he's gonna give it a whirl no matter what, and wants people who know how to run it, so he can "indoctorate" everyone else in it; thats why you see Wuerrfel, Matthews, and Doering there. And I imagine that you will probably see a couple more Florida recievers there, too: Quez Green from TB, and most certainly someone from the draft. And I have no doubt that when Rex leaves here (UF) after this year (with the Heisman), he'll make it to DC somehow.

Just think: Spurrier's best QB to come out of his system, running it with some of the best former recievers. Should be fun to watch.

Anyway, I don't think the head-ball coach wants to bring in another big-name QB to run things, even someone like Blake. Steve-o is notorious for yanking and breaking QB's. He wants a QB who can go through the reads and fire it in there, quickly. Thats why you have the former Gators everywhere.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic
And I have no doubt that when Rex leaves here (UF) after this year (with the Heisman), he'll make it to DC somehow.
 OH JESUS GOD NO.  For the love of Christ, no.  Rex Grossman is not the answer.

Firstly, do you honestly think that Dan Snyder's going to be content to sit there with the quarterbacking situation as it is?  Tony Banks is a free agent, Kent Graham is a free agent, and they only have Wuerffel (a third-string quarterback) and Sage Rosenfels (a third-string quartreback) on the team right now.  Dan Snyder is going to see what New England wants for Drew Bledsoe; he's going to make a run at Trent Dilfer; if Charlie Batch becomes available, I bet Snyder talks to him; I'm sure with his penchant for overrated veteran free agents that Chris Chandler's not out of the question.  He's going to get somebody, though:  either after March 1st or June 1st.  He will not wait until next year.

Secondly, the Redskins SHOULDN'T wait until next year.  That team last year won eight of it's last 11 games with Tony Banks at quarterback.  That's how well that team was playing at the end of the year.  THIS IS NOT A REBUILDING YEAR.  I've FUCKING HAD IT with rebuilding years after winning records.  Three years ago, they went 10-6 and rebuilt when Snyder got on board.  Then they fire two coaches mid-season, go 8-8, and decide they need to rebuild - again.  They let their starting quareterback and #1 receiver walk and bring in another new coach, Schottenhemier.  Last year, Schottenheimer wins 8 of his last 11 with no passing game, finishes at .500, and still gets shit-canned for a younger guy who wants to hire his own, less-talented guys and wait for his former college QB to become eligible for the draft?  Wait for what?  Wait long enough, and the guys who've remained constant through all this crap - the Davises, the Baileys, the Jansens - they'll bail.  

Thirdly, I don't think that the Fun 'n' Gun as it was in college is going to be successful in the NFL for the Washington Redskins.  It's going to need to be tweaked at least some.  

Part A to this is that cornerbacks in the NFL are a lot better than in the SEC.  I don't know if it's true that the reason for Florida's success is the talent level difference like some people say, but I cannot see the Redskins' receivers ever getting cleanly off the line against a team like Philadelphia.  

Part B to this is that the Redskins are not built to throw the football.  They don't have the receivers to run the Fun 'n' Gun (signing Florida recievers will not help, because they're really all on the talent level of what the Redskins have now), their backs are power backs, and their offensive line is built to run block.  That team's built to run off-tackle - either side, all day, every day.  A good coach will build a system around his players, and not build his players around his system.

I'm sorry, I just can't stand watching that team decide that the way to solve the perennial 8-8 season is to go change everything around.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

The Redskins have signed linebacker Jessie Armstead and wide receiver Reidel Anthony as of today and are going after Trent Dilfer, although there are many other teams interested in Dilfer, amongst of which is the Baltimore Ravens who cut Elvis Grbac today.