TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HartFan86

X-Box, Gamecube, or PS2?

Guest HartFan86

Which one guys? I've played PS2 and they are eh, never played Gamecube, and had the most fun playing a game system with the X-Box yesterday at my friend's house when we played NFL 2k3 for 6 hours. What do you guys suggest?

Guest The Notorious CRD

It all depends on what you want of your game system. If you want a steady flow of games and don't really care if it's "the latest thing" get a PS2. It's the most mainstream console for a reason. If you like classic Nintendo franchises such as Mario, Zelda, or Metroid, the Gamecube is your only shot at them. If you're a graphics whore and enjoy neat tricks out the wazoo, go with Xbox. Chances are you'll enjoy whatever system you end up with, but maybe you should put some research into this and then make your decision.

Guest Lethargic

I haven't even been here that long but we've all debated which system we prefer a thousand times already. Just look for one of those threads because this one will turn into a bloodbath soon.

I've got a Xbox. I just couldn't find anything on PS2 worth playing. On Xbox I can't make up my mind what to get because the games are so good. They don't have the number of games that PS2 has but what games they have are awesome. And 95% of the good games on PS2 are on Xbox as well and if they're not, they're on PC. So I still haven't found a single reason to ever own a PS2.

Guest HartFan86

That's why I'm posting this topic. I want to see what all of you guys have to say. I really am digging the X-Box and the friend who I played with it works at Toys R Us and runs the Game Zone...so he knows his shit. He owned a PS2, took it back, owned a Gamecube, took it back....now he has his X-Box and he says it's his favorite game system ever...and he's hardcore video gameas.

Guest chirs3

Well, if Sports games are your fix, I've heard X-Box is the best, though in my opinion, if you've played one football game you've played them all.

I'd go with a PS2 if you're a more "I'll play pretty much anything" gamer.

Guest HartFan86

I only own Sports games, especially Wrestling for my N64 and I'll probably do the same with whatever I get. I'm not into shooting games and stuff, unless a friend brings it over.

Guest chirs3

Well like I said, if Sports is your fix, I've heard X-Box is the way to go. I don't know, I've never actually played a Sports Game on there... never played anything on there except a demo of some game that I blew at because I hate their controllers...

Plus they (X-Box) will probably get Silent Hill 3 along with the PS2, so that's a bonus.

And Raw... Raw is for X-Box, isn't it?

Guest HartFan86

Main reason I want to get it. Raw 2 comes out in March and from what I have read....it's gunna be better then Raw 1.

Guest Lethargic

I think it's worth it simply for the fact that in Raw 2 you'll be able to use your own music for your created wrestler's theme. haha That's gonna kick ass.

Guest HartFan86
I think it's worth it simply for the fact that in Raw 2 you'll be able to use your own music for your created wrestler's theme. haha That's gonna kick ass.

Exactly. The second I heard that, I wanted to get that game. I think I'm going with X-Box...

Guest Big McLargeHuge

Main reason I want to get it. Raw 2 comes out in March and from what I have read....it's gunna be better then Raw 1.

It should considering RAW 1 was shit. Using my own theme music is a neat concept, but the gameplay was horrible and frustrating. Hopefully, Fire Pro (For Nintendo baby!) won't be the dissapointment that WM X8 was.

Oh, my opinion: You seemed pretty much decided when you made this thread, so I'll just help you make your purchase faster; Get the Xbox now. I have both a GC and Xbox, and while I play the GC more, your tastes are probably more suited for the latter. There.

Guest The Superstar

Actually, going off topic a little bit, I really liked RAW. It takes a little bit to get used to the controls (and lack of game modes), but once you do, it's a really fun game. It's also a lot easier to set your finisher to the black button instead of A+B. And I liked the Title Match mode...winning all the titles with KURT ANGLE~! (and Molly for the Women's ;))

Guest Big McLargeHuge

I thought the gameplay was okay, just sluggish. The time it took for my wrestler to respond to my actions just wasn't there at times when I needed to pull of a desperation clothesline or something. And getting up takes forever. There are plenty of moves, but they aren't done, in anyway, realistically. I will say that editing your entrance down to what colors you want to show up on the rampway and how many camera flashes go off, is pretty cool.

It was a good first effort (with the CAW being fucking awesome) But I wasn't feeling it all that much.

Legends of Wrestling was far more fun to play.

Guest jimmy no nose

I owned a PS2 since it came out and got a Gamecube and Xbox on the same day right after they both came out. Since then I've bought 24 Xbox games, 6 Gamecube games, and 7 PS2 games. If there is a game that comes out for all 3 consoles then the Xbox version is almost definitely the best. Gamecube has the Nintendo franchises and Playstation has GTA and Final Fantasy(which I dont like). Xbox's big exclusive is Halo, but other exclusive titles are also very good in my opinion, plus they'll be getting exclusive games from Rareware(who own Perfect Dark, Kameo, Banjo, Killer Instinct, Conker, Blast Corps, and Jet Force Gemeni) who are actually one of the big reasons I bought a Cube. If you're only going to get one I'd go with Xbox.

Guest Grenouille

My personal pref is the PS2. I just can't stand the X-Box control. All the sports games for X-Box(except NFL Fever) are on PS2 and look basically the same to me anyway. I would go for the PS2 just based on the library alone, but those are just my 2..

Guest KoR Fungus

PS2 is by far the best system as far as overall library through the genres goes. In terms of sports, though, all the systems are pretty similar, since it seems like most sports games are ported to all three systems. Most reviewers seem to prefer the X-Box ports of most sports games, so for nothing but sports, X-Box is probably your best bet, as long as you can stand the controller.

Guest teke184

The short version- about 75% of the games out there are available for ALL the systems. Just find out which one has the best system-exclusive games for you and go with it.

In my case, I went with a PS2 to start with, and have been VERY happy with it. Twisted Metal: Black, Frequency, and Metal Gear Solid 2 are ones I've put a serious amount of playing time into, with other exclusives like Grand Theft Auto 3 and Final Fantasy X waiting in the wings until I'm done with the first three.

I also wanted several GameCube exclusives (mainly Smash Brothers, Pikmin, and the Resident Evil remake), so I picked up a GC when I got a very good deal on it. I've been happy with it, BUT it's been hard at times to justify owning it since most of the games are available for both the GC and the PS2.

As for the X-Box... very few of the system exclusives appeal to me besides Halo, so I've held off on getting one for now. Considering the only three games I have for my GameCube are system exclusives (because all the games that are multi-platform, I buy for the PS2 by choice), I don't see an X-Box being cost effective for me anytime soon.

Just be sure to research the libraries of EACH system thoroughly before buying, including the forthcoming titles for each system.

Oh, BTW, the Rare sale means that Microsoft owns the programming group now, NOT the series that Rare had made in the past. From a press release on the Rare sale: "Nintendo said it will retain all rights to Rare franchises such as Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Diddy Kong. "Those properties are still owned by Nintendo, and we will continue to make new games based on them,"

Nintendo may retains the rights to all the series that Rare has made games of in the past, but it remains to be seen what they can do with them.

The Twisted Metal series for the PS systems are the best example of a company (Sony's 989 Studios) buying up a popular product line from a third-part producer (SingleTrac)... and all the 989-produced sequels SUCKED... which is why they got Imcog Inc. (former SingleTrac guys) to make Twisted Metal Black for the PS2, which freakin' ROCKS.

Guest Lethargic

Rare owns the rights to most of the characters in their games. The only ones Nintendo kept are those ones you mentioned. They announced today that they're already working on a Perfect Dark game for Xbox. They announced another one of their popular things they're moving over too but I can't remember what it is.

As far as Raw. If you can play Smackdown and then play Raw and think Raw is sluggish I feel sorry for you. That's the thing I loved about it. The gameplay was great. The options were weak and the CAW was terrible but it was actually FUN to wrestle which the Smackdown series on PS2 has never been.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Here's a problem I have with XBox:

Let's take RAW for example.

If I want it...I can wait and get it on PC.

Guest Kagato Otaku
They announced another one of their popular things they're moving over too but I can't remember what it is.

Conker.

Mentioning "popular" in the text line almost threw me.

Guest Lethargic
Here's a problem I have with XBox:

Let's take RAW for example.

If I want it...I can wait and get it on PC.

You can do the same with a lot of the PS2 games as well. So that's not an Xbox thing. The two game series that most people identify with PS2 these days seems to be GTA and Final Fantasy. Both available on PC. The problem with that particular suggestion though is that Raw 2 is fixing to come out on Xbox and Raw 1 is still a ways off for the PC so that game is going to be ancient history by time it comes out for PC.

Guest Kotzenjunge

I've been debating this myself. My cousins are pressuring me heavily to snag an Xbox, and from what I saw and played on it(Halo, some San Francisco racing game, some motorcycle game), it looked really really good. I could NEVER get used to those controls for Halo. Didn't help that I was drunk either.

I almost want a PS2 for just Stuntman and the GTA games. I'm not big on RPGs or massive action/adventure games. A big reason I wanted a PS2 was because I wanted a DVD player, but now that I have one, I don't really want one as much anymore.

A Gamecube is appealing to me because it's Nintendo and I've always been a hardcore Nintendo partisan. Luigi's Mansion, Wrestlemania XVIII, and the new Starfox game all have me wanting a Nintendo.

Of the three, I want a PS2 the least. I think I'll ask for an Xbox when this year's Giving Day comes around. Did I mention I love that the system itself is huge?

One question about the Raw game for Xbox: Is the Create-a-Wrestler good? I don't go for super deep stuff like hardcore gamers do(I consider myself pretty casual), I just want to know if it's good enough to not seem too too limiting.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest MrRant

I bought GTA3 for the PC just because on my 1.4ghz and GeForce 4 the game flys and looks MUCH MUCH better than my friends who has a PS2. Not to mention the fact that its easier to control with the keyboard/mouse combo.

Guest Lethargic
One question about the Raw game for Xbox: Is the Create-a-Wrestler good? I don't go for super deep stuff like hardcore gamers do(I consider myself pretty casual), I just want to know if it's good enough to not seem too too limiting.

I didn't like it too much. I thought it was the weakest part of the game. But considering it was the first game I accepted it. Every single time a new wrestling game adds CAW for the first time it's not that great. It's usually a lot better the second time around. Like the Smackdown sequels CAW were a lot better than the first one. I could make a character that looked exactly like me. Of course, the matches only lasted 2 seconds long so I never got to see him/me much. Then again, maybe Firepro has spoiled me on CAWs for good.

Guest PlatypusFool

Right, instead of creating a new topic for this, I'm just gonna put this here and hope someone notices...

Basically, I've got plenty of money and I want to buy one of the three consoles being debated here. I'm leaning towards the PS2 already, for the following reasons:

- I love the Smackdown series, and will really love SD4 unless they totally screw it up, which they wont cos the last one sold bucketloads.

- I've never owned a console, and (i think) you can play old PS1 games on a PS2, so the library of CHEAP games is massive.

- It's also a DVD playa.

However, I must admit that, although there is plenty of games out there for it that I would love to play, the serious nature of most of PS2's games doesn't really appeal to me. The Gamecube has not many games, but I enjoy the childlike style that Nintendo employs. However, the games are expensive and there isn't much of them. The X-Box is the one I'm least likely to buy I think, although my mind could be changed. I've just never seen what they have to offer me I guess.

Basically, I want a console with a healthy mix of great single and multiplayer games, with some games having an emphasis on fun, and also one where the games are reasonably priced. What do you reckon I should get? And is there any websites which lay out the good and bad points of all of these consoles?

Guest KANE

Platypus--if you want multiplayer, remember that PS2 versions of some games that get ported to all 3 systems, like first person shooters, sometimes don't have multiplayer options. This is because Sony, for some reason, insisted on going with the 2 controller jack system in a 4-jack world. Or, for games that do support 4 players, you need to go out and buy a multitap.

007: Agent Under Fire has 4-player deathmatches on X-Box and Cube, but hte PS2 version doesn't have a multiplayer option.

I feel kind of ripped off on Medal of Honor: Frontline, a multiplayer-less game, because I bought it, thinking it'd be PS2 exclusive, then Cube had to go and announce it's getting a port of it, with a multiplayer option.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I've been down on PS2 lately...

mainly stemming from TimeSplitters 2 not going online.

I switched my pre-order for the game to the gamecube version just to spite them...and because of the 4 player inputs.

Basically...outside of the GTA series and Kingdom Hearts, the only exclusives I buy are for GC.

Res. Evil, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox adv, Mario, Monkey Ball...it's so worth it.

I do buy most of the games that are multi platform on the PS2 though.

Guest PlatypusFool

*cries* this is such a hard decision to make, I'm not too bothered about multiplayer above two people, so that doesn't really impact on my decision.

I need a website or something that shows me the good and bed points of them all. There MUST be one somewhere!

Guest DrTom

I would get an X-Box. I have both a PS2 and an X-Box (and I've played GaeCube at friends' houses; I wasn't too impressed), and the X-Box is the better of the two IMO.

Any game that comes out for both consoles, I invariably buy for the X-Box. The graphics are better, the animation is usually smoother, and once you get used to the controller, it's actually a joy to use.

It's true that the PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box, but depending on your BIOS version, the PS2's DVD player has 100+ known incompatibilities with certain DVDs. The last time I checked, the X-Box had 2. Yes, you have to pay $30, but you get a remote (which is $15-20 for the PS2) with it, which is inifinitely better than the shitty remotes made for the PS2.

X-Box's main value comes with the built-in hard drive, though. If you bought 1000 memory cards for the PS2 (at $30 apiece), you'd have its capacity. Load times are faster because the hard drive is quicker to read from and write to than a memory card. You CAN buy memory cards for X-Box, but unless you'll be taking your saved games to someone else's house, there's no need for it.

The main knock against the X-Box is its game library. PS2 certainly has the most impressive library out there, but it's also been out the longest. X-Box's library is constantly expanding and improving in quality.

Though if you have "plenty of money," you should cut out the self-arguments and just get both PS2 and X-Box.